No Protocol!?!?

In 2008 I became certified as a 40-hour first responder at the age of 15. The local health services agency provided the training as a summer boredom buster. Since then I've assisted several indivduals who were experiencing medical emergencies ranging from fainting to a scalp laceration. But here's the catch: our state does not recognize first responders. No protocol for FRs exists within the state. It wasn't until several months ago that I realized this. I've mentioned it to the local EMS and even to the hospital, but they don't seem to see it as a real issue. I'm familiar with FR protocol from other states, but I have no clue as to what I can and can't do in my state. I don't know what I can and can't carry in my jump kit (which was given to me by the instructors for scoring 100% on the final exam). When it was given to me it had activated charcoal and glucose. I know some states allow their FRs to use those two items, but I'm not sure if I can. But the whole point of my post here is to ask some of the experienced EMS people about what types of issues might arise from this issue, and any possible solutions. Thanks

I'm familiar with FR protocol from other states, but I have no clue as to what I can and can't do in my state. I don't know what I can and can't carry in my jump kit

The first thing to do, then, is to check your state website and, if need be, check state law to see what statute says your scope of practice is. To be honest, I don't see much of a need for a protocol, per say, at the first responder and, for the most part, at the EMT-B level. The scope just isn't that large or complex in most cases.

You don't say which state you're in, so I can't speak to the legalities of your question, other than to advise you to only perform any treatment that is equal to your level of training. Even when off duty.

Being 'certified' means that you do not have 'Good Samaritan' immunity, ie, you know better.

So if you work outside the First Responder level, you can be successfully sued. Although, if there are no protocols, nor is the first responder level recognized, you may be OK.

What you need to do is speak with the legal department of the 'local health services agency' that trained you.

Good luck.

Edited by Smitster_911

In 2008 I became certified as a 40-hour first responder at the age of 15. The local health services agency provided the training as a summer boredom buster. Since then I've assisted several indivduals who were experiencing medical emergencies ranging from fainting to a scalp laceration. But here's the catch: our state does not recognize first responders. No protocol for FRs exists within the state. It wasn't until several months ago that I realized this. I've mentioned it to the local EMS and even to the hospital, but they don't seem to see it as a real issue. I'm familiar with FR protocol from other states, but I have no clue as to what I can and can't do in my state. I don't know what I can and can't carry in my jump kit (which was given to me by the instructors for scoring 100% on the final exam). When it was given to me it had activated charcoal and glucose. I know some states allow their FRs to use those two items, but I'm not sure if I can. But the whole point of my post here is to ask some of the experienced EMS people about what types of issues might arise from this issue, and any possible solutions. Thanks

I agree with kiwimedic on this one. Take time to go to the next level, and don't fall victim to an endless liability issue.

Here's a great idea - don't ask on here, pick up the phone, call your state ems office, ask for the legal dept and find out what the state allows, then ensure that flies with the dept you are with. But as others have said, FR are on their way out quickly, most places I know will only hire them as drivers as they can't legally work the back here. Though that is just this area. But if you are serious about this as your profession, get your paramedic.

• Like 1

Here's a great idea - don't ask on here...

What is with this new trend of telling folks, 'specially our new members, not to ask questions here? That is what the City is for, isn't it? This is making me batshit.

Answer the question, don't answer the question, ignore the entire thread if you want, but who are you exactly to be telling folks which questions are allowed here? When did we decide that some questions were just so beneath us that we needed to explain to folks how dumb they are?

How about we stop that habit now and replace it, say, with pics of boobs. Anytime you feel the need to tell someone not to post you post a pic of boobs instead? I believe the world, and certainly the City, will be the better for it.

OP, you didn't mention when you are using these new found skills. Is it at work? Or from your private vehicle? Are you being paid to provide them, or doing them as a volly? I think all of these things make a difference, but I'm not exactly sure. Also, take a look at the Good Sam laws and see if you fit...

Dwayne

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.