77 Percent of new EMS Trainees are Fat Arses!

Dustdevil

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone here, unless you're in serious denial.

http://www.ems1.com/ems-management/articles/817472-Miss-agencies-report-more-responders-flunking-initial-fitness-exam/

May 10, 2010

Miss. agencies report more responders flunking initial fitness exam

Overweight and out of shape recruits for police, fire and emergency medical services are presenting increasing problems for agencies in Miss. and around the nation

By Chris Joyner

USA Today

JACKSON, Miss. — When the Jackson Police Department tried to recruit new officers this spring, more than a third of the applicants were not able to pass the initial physical fitness test.

The city's police academy's initial fitness exam includes push-ups, a 1 1/2 mile run, an obstacle course and a flexibility test, Deputy Police Chief Gerald Jones said.

Mississippi has the highest rate of obesity in the nation, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But Jones said it is not just that recruits are fat.

"What we are finding is a decline in overall physical strength," he said. "They can't complete the mile-and-a-half run."

Overweight and out of shape recruits for police, fire and emergency medical services are presenting increasing problems for agencies around the nation.

*Ronald Smith, chief of the Lawton (Okla.) Police Department, said about 15% of applicants to his department this spring failed an initial agility test, including push-ups, sit-ups and a quarter-mile run. "Used to be nearly 100% passed the agility test," he said.

*Capt. Doug Shoemaker of the Jefferson City (Mo.) Police Department said "a noticeable number of people" failed the physical exam in the two most recent tests. "I don't know that I have seen this ... as much as I have now," he said.

Last year, the Cambridge Health Alliance and researchers from Harvard University and Boston University found that 77% of fire and emergency medical technician trainees in Massachusetts were either overweight or obese.

Harvard School of Public Health professor Stefanos Kales, one of the authors of the report, said no national studies on recruits exist, but in localized studies researchers "consistently find that among police and firefighters, generally three-quarters are overweight and that includes one-third that are obese."

The picture may be worse, he said. Some departments have lowered physical strength standards to avoid discrimination lawsuits, he said.

"In combination with a less fit pool," he said, "that will end up allowing more obese recruits to successfully join these services."

Andrew Nesbit, a vocational public safety teacher at South Paulding High School in Douglasville, Ga., heard the complaint from a local fire official when he asked what he could do to turn out better recruits.

This year, Nesbit started his junior and senior students on a physical fitness plan similar to what they would face if they apply to a police or fire academy. "At first they didn't want to do it," he said. "They just don't like exercise. A lot of them don't even enjoy being outdoors." And their diet is "garbage," Nesbit added.

Part of the problem, according to Texas Christian University kinesiology professor Deborah Rhea, are cuts in school physical education programs.

A report this year from the National Association for Sport and Physical Education found that only five states require physical education for all public school grades and that more than half of the states allow physical education exemptions for students, a 61% increase since 2006.

Rhea said education leaders need to get physical education classes back in the schools. "You've got to educate them (about) why they need to be active," she said.

• Like 1

Whats interesting Dust is that here, in my service, they have removed all gym & fitness equipment from stations.

Now they want to introduce a 'wellness policy'.

This will include fitness but we still cannot have even a treadmill on station because they are scared that if we hurt ourselves on it, we will be after workers compensation for the injury........

The PC crap goes on & on & on

"77 Percent of new EMS Trainees are Fat Arses!"

I resemble that comment, oh sorry I am an OLD FAT ARES" :dribble::thumbsup:

I'm not new but I'm a fat butt!! 8 years of EMS made me fat!!!!!

Useless fat bastards get on a treadmill and put down the Whopper!

HEY!! I like them!!!! treadmill?? what is that?? hahahahaha

• Like 1

Whats interesting Dust is that here, in my service, they have removed all gym & fitness equipment from stations.

Now they want to introduce a 'wellness policy'.

This will include fitness but we still cannot have even a treadmill on station because they are scared that if we hurt ourselves on it, we will be after workers compensation for the injury........

The PC crap goes on & on & on

My old employer refused to let us even have a treadmill or stationary bike at the station. He said he didn't want people getting hurt. Seriously? Getting hurt? Like standing on the side of the highway in the middle of a snow storm isn't dangerous. They also refused to pay for a corporate gym membership. But then they would complain about people being over weight and out of shape. This all coming from a boss and supervisor whom were the fattest in the company.

Personally, I enjoy exercising and feel everyone should do some sort of exercise. It is rewarding and actually makes you feel better, mentally and physically. You do not need to go to a gym, or have a trainer to get into shape. It is very simple. Eating healthier, walking up stairs instead of elevators or escaladors. Taking walks outside with friends or co-workers. Start jogging a little, do sit-ups and push ups... simple people! You can do most of this during commercials of your tv shows you watch for 5hrs at night.

edit: only the first paragraph was in response to you Phil, the rest was me rambling.

Edited by FireMedic65
  • Like 2

An employer is no more obligated to pay for your fitness training than they are to pay for your college degree. If you want the job, you should put in the money and effort necessary to obtain and maintain that job. Be an adult. Take responsibility for your own welfare and don't expect big daddy to do it for you.

And this article is talking about people who haven't even completed school yet, much less gotten a job. If they're not fit to do the job, then screw them. Quit taking up valuable classroom space.

I've noticed this trend as well, seems like each new class of EMT hopefuls get bigger and sorrier as well. In the last class we had doing their clinicals with us, only three of 12 were under 250 lbs. The sad fact was that they also seemed to be only interested in getting into EMS for the down time. That was a common comment I overhear, "dang you guys get a lot of time off and if you aren't busy, ya'll got it dicked".

I took time to explain to them that if that was their entire reason, then they needed to drop the course right then.

I'm seeing a trend in new hopefuls who have no concept of lifting, no sense of urgency, and a lot of "in yo face" attitude. One even dared to ask why students had to take vitals and lift the stretcher. Needless to say, a quick conversation with his instructor and he was bounced.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.