Radio Emergency Button

Some idiot dispatcher noticed it wasn't beeping and called radio service, who came in and "fixed" it, insisting that it was an FCC requirement.

It IS a requirement that any 2 way radio station identify by call letters at least once an hour. Rather than have a person do it, or more correctly, forget to do it, radio manufacturers include the option for the automatic morsc code identifier.

If you keyed the radio and another unit was already talking, your radio would start beeping at you. Again, really great if you're trying to be stealthy. thumbsdown.gif

Unfortunately, if all the available frequencies in the trunking group are in use, it at least lets the person trying to use the radio that they have to wait for an open frequency. Still better than keying up, and talking when nobody would be able to hear them due to a momentary lack of available frequencies.

I understand newer trunking systems, when someone's Emergency button is activated, will automatically cut off all other broadcasts, give an audible signal to all within the group alerting that someone HAS activated the "E" button, and that unit gets priority for at least the next 15 to 30 seconds.

Uhg..Emergency Buttons!!!

We have been trying to get our emergency buttons activated in both the cars and portables...it is a tough battle and thats coming from me a road boss for the past umpteen years. The people that make those decisions for my service are over my head and one has not worked on the road since they had the Motorola Handy Talkie with the collapsable car antenna.

We have been fighting this for years and we finally gave up. We have even tried to get a second portable radio for each car so both crew members have one..another NO.

It is frustrating that we have the technology in our mobile and on our hip but they feel there would be too many accidental activations. Well if there are accidentals because of excessive abuse there can be policies or write-ups for that...still NO.

We do have a radio code "99" if you need help but once again we can't get the dress blue everyday brass to put radio identifiers on the portable radio's so the dispatcher repaets "Last unit calling" thus possibly blowing your "cover"

I feel your frustration...any others have a solution to this before someone gets hurt?

Edited by Medic One

We do have a radio code "99" if you need help but once again we can't get the dress blue everyday brass to put radio identifiers on the portable radio's so the dispatcher repaets "Last unit calling" thus possibly blowing your "cover"

The whole idea of using a code word like that is ignorant. Someone holding you hostage is no more going to let you use some mysterious number code that they don't understand than they are likely to let you call for help any other way. And using such a code only raises the suspicions of anyone you're trying to be under "cover" from.

The best way to do this was mentioned earlier. Have a code word that is the ONLY acceptable response to a welfare check. Any other response, even a declaration that "everything is okay" is treated as a distress call.

My personal favourite system is to make the use of ANY numerical code a distress signal. That means if you tell dispatch, "everything's 10-4 here", that is a distress signal. Everyone knows what 10-4 means in radio lingo, so it will not raise suspicion if used in front of your threat. And it has the added benefit of breaking your employees of the bad habit of using numerical codes in the first place.

I agre with you there...I have tried to get the "99" 86'ed (dropped). We use NIMS complient standard for no radio codes and I think a reagular word would be fine to use. We do have PAR checks when crew on scene more than 15 minutes set up through our CAD Alerts but 15 mins can be a long time.

For example if the crew is in trouble and dispatch calls they may be able to tell the armed person, etc.. that if I don't call back they WILL send the police and tell them that I just have to respond with "alls well" or "10-4 all set"...if I don't they will know there is a problem. The other issues is when We have called "99's" we have actually had dispatchers say "CLEAR THE AIR WE HAVE A 99" and then say "Battalion you copy the 99".

It happened to one of my crews one night..we have since instructed dispatch to use cellular and the tac channel for further communications until the 99 is cleared. Its a start but not much of one.

I really like the idea of a code word for accidental trips of the "Oh shit" button. I'll have to run this one up the chain of command and see who salutes it.

Our old MDC's had an emergency button that was flush with the housing of the unit-obviously designed by a management type with no street experience. Accidental trips happened multiple times each day. With the new terminals, the button is recessed and can only be activated on purpose. Our portables have always had a recessed alert button, so accidental trips were zero, to my knowledge.

In my county system the dispatcher replies back "___ confirm your 10-75" and if you don't answer after three broadcast they send help. In the city its "___ are you declaring an emergency." As people said before it gives you an open carrier without having to press the mic for 15 seconds, and alerts one if not all the dispatch terminals in the communication center. I think some new radios have the feature that give your gps location when this feature is used. I think any emergency system over the radio is dependent on you and your partner having and carrying your radio!

In addition to police in my city system you also recieve the fist due Engine, Ladder, Fire Batallion Chief and EMS Officer for an "assist." I guess its under the asumption that if the police don't arrive first there are now 11 more people to keep you from getting your ass further kicked.

The 10-2000 button is a good idea, but I honestly have no faith that the system will work when/if I ever need it. The fleetnet system that is used by Ontario EMS (except Toronto, lucky bastards) has a major limitation with the panic button. It bounces off every truck that is it's line of sight. So when a 10-2000 is activated by the button and there are multiple trucks around, the dispatcher's computer registers that x amount of crews are declaring a life threat to themselves.

Line of sight is a major issue with it. About six weeks ago another crew in my service was doing a call in a building with about 25 floors and they were on the 24th. The area has poor coverage on the fleetnet system, no one seems to know why. And this building does block out most of the traffic between the portable and the repeater in the truck. This crew had a combative patient and they actually hit the button. So instead of the message being relayed to their truck that was at most only a few hundred metres away, it bounced off another truck (mine) which was about 5 km away, but in perfect line of sight of where they were. Our radio passed it on, and the ACO asked us if everything was alright. We said we were and all went back to normal.

Now luckily, the patient the other crew had wasn't entirely dangerous, they just needed help in keeping him from flailing about. They resorted to using the button becuase all their radio transmissions were covered in static. Eventually one was able to call CACC on a landline and request a second unit (which turned out to be my partner and I).

I remember another time where while my partner and I were one of the ERs, I had gone out to grab something from the truck and hit the button on the portable. Again there were several trucks around and they all sent out the call. The ACO had to go through all of them to ensure they were fine. Of course as luck would have it, they didn't call me for whatever reason.

I think i've set it off maybe 3 times in the past few months, the last time was yesterday. I was working the PRU and set off the truck based one as I was getting out of the to attend to a call. And unlike other MOHLTC run CACC's mine doesn't use the the code phrase so really there wouldn't be any way to indicate we're screwed without letting the threat know.

Our system gives a 15 second hot mike. That way you can give any information. Dispatch will not check, they will notdo any checks, just send help to your location. Also there are duration checks every 10 minutes after arrival. Dispatch will say "Ambulance 28 duration of your call 10 minutes." You responsed with your unit number, "Ambulance 28." in this case. If there is an issue you respond with your unit number and an pfonetic alaphabet disignation that I am not going to disclose. This will send help with out question. Dispatch will acknowledge and move to another channel to send help.

FDNY policy has us log on not just the vehicle radio, which has a unit specific radio identifier that shows which vehicle sent a signal on the dispatcher's computer screen, but the 2 portable radios, which also have individual identifiers. That way, we have the vehicle assigned the radio designation (using my old unit, 47Adam3), the "wheel man" (that day, Me), and the "shotgun" (the "V-Man") logged into the system, with the vehicle's "shop" number (old and now retired vehicle 55), and the 2 badge numbers of the crew members (you're not getting them from me, here!).

If someone hits the button, they'll know who sent it.

FDNY policy has us log on not just the vehicle radio, which has a unit specific radio identifier that shows which vehicle sent a signal on the dispatcher's computer screen, but the 2 portable radios, which also have individual identifiers. That way, we have the vehicle assigned the radio designation (using my old unit, 47Adam3), the "wheel man" (that day, Me), and the "shotgun" (the "V-Man") logged into the system, with the vehicle's "shop" number (old and now retired vehicle 55), and the 2 badge numbers of the crew members (you're not getting them from me, here!).

If someone hits the button, they'll know who sent it.

I've seen too many people just put radio numbers in without checking, and putting badges/shield numbers in the wrong/reverse order...

Sometimes its a mistake sometimes its on purpose. The thing about logging in that drives me batty is when people put GOD/Bart/XXXX as riding third ... that pisses me off, just unprofessional nonsense.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.