SKED without OSS or KED

I am a big fan of the SKED and have used it several times for SAR type evacuations. Always in a horizontal and/or carry mode. I have not used it in a vertical or lifting environment. I recently received instruction that emphatically stated that an OSS, KED or other vest-type short board must be used whenever you are using the SKED, irregardless of the MOI. Based on my experience I don't agree and am looking for other opinions. Thanks.

Due to the fact that the SKED stores in a roll, it naturally wants to maintain that position until fully deployed. I find that it bothers the patient, in that the ends roll inward. I've never used an Oregon Splint, and I've never used a KED for wilderness application. It's easier to strap a SKED to the board, and put it in the stokes with the rest of the crap we haul out. The way we play it, if you're in the wilderness, or in a park, on a trail.. and you need to be carried out, you're getting fully immobilized for convenience of us, regardless of injuries. It's easier to manage a patient that cannot move, at all. Therefore, we put them on a spine board that's rated for the types of rescues we do. Never, never, never, will I use, recommend, or even accept.. a Miller board. Junk. But I feel if they need carried out, they'll be getting strapped down so they can't move around, tumble off a waterfall, broken ankle or heart attack, strap em' all down.

The SKED is a useful tool and I would agree that it is not necessary (imperative) to use some form of spinal immobilization when you're utilizing the SKED. That said, I would agree that an immobilized patient moves around less and is far more comfortable for the ride out, especially if you transfer them to a litter on a wheel.

For high angle and scree stuff we use high angle and scree specific baskets... I don't know that we really use the SKED much. I would suggest contacting Rocky Mountain Rescue Group (they put on advanced rescue trainings for people in our area a lot) to see what their take on it is- they're wicked smart as far as that stuff goes and I'd be more willing to go with their recommendation than with my own skimpy knowledge.

As far as rescues go, I'm a stuff-schlepper, EMT and patient-schlepper. I can also run a brake and a belay. I can't set up systems, I'm rusty on my knots, and I'm not who you send over the edge because I lack a lot of experience with that. So... there's my knowledge base for you..

Wendy

CO EMT-B

OK I admit it I had to look up what a SKED is. I have never used one and like Annie Im not the one going over the cliff. With that being said I have used the KED and I love that piece of equipment. It works for great for extracation of a stable patient right down to a spinal emobilization for the baby that fall off of the change table.

Personally I dont think it would be unwise to use the KED as it will give the pt. more compfort like the baby wrapped up to feel safe.

I'm Wendy, not Annie, lol.

I've found that the more restrictive we have to get with immobilization in the SAR world, the more they tend to freak out... just my experience though...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I'm Wendy, not Annie, lol.

I've found that the more restrictive we have to get with immobilization in the SAR world, the more they tend to freak out... just my experience though...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

No, you're Ed.

The use of the OSS in conjunction is adventitious as there is a "stay" on the shoulder area to keep the SKED from squeezing the patient. As for freaking out ... the SKED cocoon's the patient and very good means of physical restraint in fact. Last thing one needs is flailing and the like in a bad spot. I use the SKED with good effect on medium helos that do not routinely carry a medivac kit ... no kicking the pilot please and thank you.

cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Back in my days at Army medic school i wondered what SKED stood for, and my seargent told me Super Kickass EVacuation Device. I know thats not what it stands for but its a good memory. The sked is pretty sweet though. Makes a good sled, and its easier to drag patients rather then lift them in certain cases.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.