EMT applications..

There have to be a few seasoned providers out there who could give me possible decent advice as I am,and have applied for EMT school for Aug,and Sept intakes this year. What types of qualities should an EMT posses to be succesful in the EMS industry?Any tips,pointers,anything helps. Thanks so much,be safe everyone.

Welcome to the city, basejump.

I suspect you are in Alberta, since the info on your profile says EMR...

I hope you get a number of replies to your post.

There is a huge list of qualities a good EMT should have. Some of the ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

- learn and practice good written and verbal communication skills. Nothing drives me crazier than reading a PCR that has incredibly poor grammar and spelling mistakes in it. If you are sending an email or letter, please do not use "text-speak." Write the sentences out in full, and the words out in full, rather than "u" "gr8" "l8r" or other shortened versions of words or sentences. Speak to patients and co-workers with respect. Do not use vulgar or offensive language when and where it is considered inappropriate. Learn how to deal with elderly patients. Do not rush them, and explain your actions fully. I don't know how old you are, but I see a number of new EMT's and medics who are very young, who don't have experience in working with elderly, and they tend to rush them, which makes the patient more nervous and frightened.

- ability to receive constructive criticism: Your are starting EMT, which is a good step up, and you will learn a lot. Please, listen to your instructors and preceptors with an open mind. Even if you disagree with what they are telling you, consider what they are saying as there may be something that you can take from that to improve your abilties even more. Respect their knowledge and experience.

- be willing to learn more than you need to: You know that there is a minimum standard for what an EMT needs to know. Don't settle for the minimum. Always ask yourself "am I performing to the standard that my friends would want me to attend when it is their family member?" If you can't meet that standard, work harder! Show your willingness to learn - keep up to date on your competencies. Pay attention to the interventions the medic makes when you are working with a medic. Learn the medications in the ambulance, even if it isn't in your scope to use them. The medic you work with will be happy when you know how to draw up meds, and can be of more assistance to them on critical calls if you learn more than the minimum. Now, having said this, do not forget your basic interventions. Know your basic interventions so they come as natural to you as breathing. C-spine control, basic airway maneuvers and adjuncts, providing oxygen, doing CPR, and basic bandaging should be things you can do withough much thought.

- show that you are proud of your work and your workplace: do not be the employee who shows up at one minute to shift change, and is the first one out the door at the end of shift; do not be the sloth who spends the day on the couch, and does nothing to clean up the area where you stay for your shift. If there are floors to be swept, do it. If there are dishes to be done, do them. If your ambulance is dirty, clean it. Leave the attitude at the door: as smart as you are, there is always someone smarter; as good as you are, there is always someone better.

The fact that you are looking for advice is a good sign. It shows that you are willing to learn, and you want to go into your education with as much knowledge as possible, and make the most of that education. EMS is a great profession, and I am glad you are looking at furthering your education and experience.

This site has lots of very intelligent posters, and I have learned a great deal here, and respect a number of people here who I have become friends with.

All the best in school, and let us know how it goes!

There have to be a few seasoned providers out there who could give me possible decent advice as I am,and have applied for EMT school for Aug,and Sept intakes this year. What types of qualities should an EMT posses to be succesful in the EMS industry?Any tips,pointers,anything helps. Thanks so much,be safe everyone.

Hey there basejump. Welcome to the city. I was just wondering what schools in Alberta you applied too.

Welcome to the city, basejump.

I suspect you are in Alberta, since the info on your profile says EMR...

I hope you get a number of replies to your post.

There is a huge list of qualities a good EMT should have. Some of the ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

- learn and practice good written and verbal communication skills. Nothing drives me crazier than reading a PCR that has incredibly poor grammar and spelling mistakes in it. If you are sending an email or letter, please do not use "text-speak." Write the sentences out in full, and the words out in full, rather than "u" "gr8" "l8r" or other shortened versions of words or sentences. Speak to patients and co-workers with respect. Do not use vulgar or offensive language when and where it is considered inappropriate. Learn how to deal with elderly patients. Do not rush them, and explain your actions fully. I don't know how old you are, but I see a number of new EMT's and medics who are very young, who don't have experience in working with elderly, and they tend to rush them, which makes the patient more nervous and frightened.

- ability to receive constructive criticism: Your are starting EMT, which is a good step up, and you will learn a lot. Please, listen to your instructors and preceptors with an open mind. Even if you disagree with what they are telling you, consider what they are saying as there may be something that you can take from that to improve your abilties even more. Respect their knowledge and experience.

- be willing to learn more than you need to: You know that there is a minimum standard for what an EMT needs to know. Don't settle for the minimum. Always ask yourself "am I performing to the standard that my friends would want me to attend when it is their family member?" If you can't meet that standard, work harder! Show your willingness to learn - keep up to date on your competencies. Pay attention to the interventions the medic makes when you are working with a medic. Learn the medications in the ambulance, even if it isn't in your scope to use them. The medic you work with will be happy when you know how to draw up meds, and can be of more assistance to them on critical calls if you learn more than the minimum. Now, having said this, do not forget your basic interventions. Know your basic interventions so they come as natural to you as breathing. C-spine control, basic airway maneuvers and adjuncts, providing oxygen, doing CPR, and basic bandaging should be things you can do withough much thought.

- show that you are proud of your work and your workplace: do not be the employee who shows up at one minute to shift change, and is the first one out the door at the end of shift; do not be the sloth who spends the day on the couch, and does nothing to clean up the area where you stay for your shift. If there are floors to be swept, do it. If there are dishes to be done, do them. If your ambulance is dirty, clean it. Leave the attitude at the door: as smart as you are, there is always someone smarter; as good as you are, there is always someone better.

The fact that you are looking for advice is a good sign. It shows that you are willing to learn, and you want to go into your education with as much knowledge as possible, and make the most of that education. EMS is a great profession, and I am glad you are looking at furthering your education and experience.

This site has lots of very intelligent posters, and I have learned a great deal here, and respect a number of people here who I have become friends with.

All the best in school, and let us know how it goes!

Then how did I get in?

Hey there basejump. Welcome to the city. I was just wondering what schools in Alberta you applied too.

I applied at portage. My next app goes into ESA and pma. Thanks so much for all of your replies. I will keep a look out for more replies here and visit the local stations. I'll keep you posted!

Then how did I get in?

There's a scookum good question ... I guess we just like to adopt an OZ ... hey everyone should have one as a pet ... just saying :devilish:

Phil: Snow is solid state rain , annie and I would be most pleased to send you some as we have had enough lately.

Oh Yes base jumper ... best not tell a future employer about your death wish .... again just saying :withstupid:

• 2 weeks later...

I actually agree with Tniuqs, somehow my interview focused alot on my Rock Climbing, and if I free solo.....

Now somehow I'm always on/in the roof go figure

The ability to step back and reevaluate is fantastic. This job will throw something at you that will leave you flustered, being able to step back and calmly reevaluate your treatment, your extrication, or just how your dealing with a difficult patient is a major plus.

Ask questions! In class, on car. to the medic your working with, even ER docs or nurses, the more you know the better!

Well there are several qualities a EMT should posses. One thing i have noticed were i am at is Gurney operations, people forget about there partners and how to make it a team effort.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.