Kotex pad

ajfey

Does anyone know how many cc's of blood will a Kotex pad will hold? Versus a tampon?

Thanks

scenario:

30 yr old f, missed period x2 months. In one day has gone through 5 pads.. How much can 1 kotex pad hold in cc?

Edited by ajfey

Does anyone know how many cc's of blood will a Kotex pad will hold? Versus a tampon?

Thanks

scenario:

30 yr old f, missed period x2 months. In one day has gone through 5 pads.. How much can 1 kotex pad hold in cc?

Are we attempting to rule out the possibility of miscarriage? How many hours are we deciding is "one day"?

If we are saying 8 hours for a day, I would deem 5 pads to be normal, that's a change almost every 2 hours.

How much difference would there be in your definition of a "full" pad to hers?

I would think a typical pad could handle 20cc of fluid. But there are so many variables when questioning flow rate.

So, she hasn't had a period in 2 months. Is it normal for her to be irregular? Is her flow tyically light and now this 5 pads is a lot for her?

Are you really only curious how much it can hold, or are we going somewhere with this?

• Like 1

Are we attempting to rule out the possibility of miscarriage? How many hours are we deciding is "one day"?

If we are saying 8 hours for a day, I would deem 5 pads to be normal, that's a change almost every 2 hours.

How much difference would there be in your definition of a "full" pad to hers?

I would think a typical pad could handle 20cc of fluid. But there are so many variables when questioning flow rate.

So, she hasn't had a period in 2 months. Is it normal for her to be irregular? Is her flow tyically light and now this 5 pads is a lot for her?

Are you really only curious how much it can hold, or are we going somewhere with this?

I agree with you- too many variables here. Is it bright red, dark, tissue, is there cramping, tenderness, pain, other signs or symptoms? PMH? I've even had women SWEAR they were having vaginal bleeding when it fact it was a nasty urinary infection with gross hematuria, so what about urinary symptoms?

I would say that if she is normally regular, then she could be having a miscarriage, become irregular for some reason, or has something else going on. Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about that amount of blood in terms of hypovolemia, but clearly something needs to be checked. Ultrasound, pregnancy test, labs, urinalysis would clearly be indicated.

Need more info!

What kind of Kotex pad are we talking about? There's different levels of protection. The most common are for "regular flow" and some women must use "Overnight" due to a normally (for them) heavy flow.

What's the pt's GYN hx? Women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom (PCOS) can have cycles that range from 1 month to 6 months without it being considered extremly abnormal due to the inconsistancies in hormone production. Those with endometriosis and adenomyosis can have similar issues. Has the pt had a baby within the past year and been breast feeding? Is she on medication of any kind? Has she had a tubal ligation? Has she been having abd pain or any other health or emotional issues during the time she's missed her cycle?

I'm going to repeat pinkemtprincess' question... How long of a time period is "a day"? Changing a pad every 3 hours isn't totally abnormal, but changing it every 30 minutes to 2 hours is. It also depends on how many pads the pt goes through in the same period on what she considers a "normal" period.

I've never tested how much each type of Kotex can hold, but there are a lot of things which can cause variations in a woman's cycle. Lots of questions brought up about what may be going on that a Gyn needs to address.

• Like 1

Thanks

scenario:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We are testing them at this time.... ..... ........................................

Alway Super wings is about 50cc... estimate.... water was about 70cc.. So we went down in the cc...

As for a tampon, 20cc of water so idea on blood?

The things we do at work... lol...

Thanks for your e-mail about KOTEX® SECURITY® tampons. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

The Food and Drug Administration standardized tampon absorbency labeling so that "regular," "super" and "super plus" will mean the same, regardless of the brand of tampon.

The following ranges have been established:

• Regular 6-9 grams

• Super 9-12 grams

• Super Plus 12-15 grams

Please be advised that we have not tested our KOTEX SECURITY tampons for tamponading and cannot recommend it for this type of use. Additionally, we are not at liberty to disclose the amount of fluid our KOTEX® feminine products can absorb.

We appreciate your interest in our products. Thanks again for your e-mail.

Thanks for your e-mail about KOTEX® SECURITY® tampons. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

The Food and Drug Administration standardized tampon absorbency labeling so that "regular," "super" and "super plus" will mean the same, regardless of the brand of tampon.

The following ranges have been established:

• Regular 6-9 grams

• Super 9-12 grams

• Super Plus 12-15 grams

Please be advised that we have not tested our KOTEX SECURITY tampons for tamponading and cannot recommend it for this type of use. Additionally, we are not at liberty to disclose the amount of fluid our KOTEX® feminine products can absorb.

We appreciate your interest in our products. Thanks again for your e-mail.

verry nice of them to respond back one gram is a one cc right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.