Teachers cannot teach condom/birth control use.

Mateo_1387

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should schools be allowed to teach condom usage and how to take birth control pills?

• Yes, it should be optional per parental approval
    • No, it should not be taught in schools
    • Yes, it should be mandatory for students to learn

Some excellent posts so far!

LOL Lisa - a friend of mine did that with his son not too long ago. He showed him some nasty STD pics, and had the talk. Now, he didn't just scare him with that, but he also discussed the positive side of sex, and the joys it brings in a relationship. This friend of mine is an excellent father, and his three boys are growing up to be excellent members of society, because of the effort he puts in as a parent.

And there are many positives towards healthy, smart, safe sex. I think that does need to be explained, and taught just as well. I am just not a trusting person. And, unfortunately, I can say with all honesty, I do NOT know what is being taught in my children's schools. For one thing, they are not in HS as of yet, and go to two different schools. I know that they did go over puberty in my daughters 5th grade class, but nothing at all about sex.

I cant rely and hope that my kids learn how to be well rounded and smart people via the public education system. It is the job of myself and my husband to give them the tools to become productive wonderful human being who make the right choices in life. And when they don't, learn from those mistakes they have to make. I just do not feel confident or comfortable leaving that in the hands of teachers who are already overwhelmed.

• Like 1

And there are many positives towards healthy, smart, safe sex. I think that does need to be explained, and taught just as well. I am just not a trusting person. And, unfortunately, I can say with all honesty, I do NOT know what is being taught in my children's schools. For one thing, they are not in HS as of yet, and go to two different schools. I know that they did go over puberty in my daughters 5th grade class, but nothing at all about sex.

I cant rely and hope that my kids learn how to be well rounded and smart people via the public education system. It is the job of myself and my husband to give them the tools to become productive wonderful human being who make the right choices in life. And when they don't, learn from those mistakes they have to make. I just do not feel confident or comfortable leaving that in the hands of teachers who are already overwhelmed.

Yes, if you are doing the job at home, then the lesson will be simple reinforcement of knowledge already gained...so what is the harm?

It is for all the ones that do not have proactive or interested parents in their lives that need this foundation upon which to build so we as a society do not continue to pay for the lessons they learn the "hard way".

Yes, if you are doing the job at home, then the lesson will be simple reinforcement of knowledge already gained...so what is the harm?

It is for all the ones that do not have proactive or interested parents in their lives that need this foundation upon which to build so we as a society do not continue to pay for the lessons they learn the "hard way".

No harm at all. I am not against teaching sex ed in the schools at all.

Isnt sex ed what we learned behind the toilet block at school?????

Seriously, I think a lot of the problems we have in this area are generational. Many people born prior to the 60's & 70's have a very different view of sex & sexuality to what abounds today. We came from a 1950's clean living apple pie & mom attitude where we could pretend that sex outside of marriage didnt exist. This still exists now with people whose parents came from this era are in a 'limbo' about how they should teach & what they should teach their kids about sex. As a consequence we are being led by the conservatives who are looking into an idealistic world of their own.

Reality tells us that people have been having sex outside of a relationship (cause it feels good) since the beginning of time. We also know now that there is more prevelence of STI's than ever before. I would much rather teach my children that sex can be enjoyed, & provide them with condoms so they can avoid un necesarry pregnancy & infection.

I think in the years to come this will be a null & void argument as a lot of the old school 'die out'.

We can teach out kids about absenence, self control & all that crap, but reality is, as we all know, that goes out the window in the heat of the moment. Lets teach them to protect themselves. Lets teach them to be safe.

• Like 1

It is quite surprising the number of quality posts made on the subject so far. Thanks to all who have posted. Also, surprisingly, everyone seems to agree.

When I first read the article, I thought, what were they thinking? They seem to be falling backwards in time, in my opinion. It seems the basis of the law is that those under 18 are not legally allowed to have sex in Wisconsin. With the schools teaching how to use condoms and take birth control, they consider it to be contributing to the delinquency of minors, even thought the material is allowed to be taught, per Wisconsin law. The article also states that those 17 and older can be charged as an adult if having sex. It seems rather illogical to have to pay the ‘adult consequences’ yet be guilty solely based on being a juvenile.

Teaching kids to make proper life decisions is certainly necessary. Should it be taught at home? I certainly think so. Should it be taught in school? I definitely think so. As many children I presume do not learn about sex in the home environment, I feel it has to be picked up by the school systems. Society, as a whole, is relying more and more on the school systems to raise their child. Although I do not agree with the reliance on the school system to raise children, since we have thrust the responsibility on the school, I feel it should be taught. Of course, I would hope that the proper sex education today would yield more openness about sex, so the cycle of not teaching your own children about sex does not continue.

Further, I think the sex education should be focused on what we know to be true about sex. It should not focus on personal opinion or religion. Although I have a difficult time respecting personal opinions and religion, it is for the most part a right, and I believe should be taught in the home, if applicable, and not in the school.

I have to agree with AK that sex at a young age may not be healthy due to lack of life skills and an underdeveloped mentality, but it should be taught, just as children are taught about the consequences of using drugs. Although sex is going to happen at young ages, I think ethically, sex education should be taught in order to hopefully prevent the negative consequences of sex. Although the negative consequences of sex are not due to just ignorance, it is one step of the mixture that can be addressed, versus say, solving poverty (which the article references as a reason for increased teenage sex).

Thanks again to everyone that replied. Too bad we have no opposing opinions posted, as I learn just as much from them. I think these discussions help us all understand things a little bit better, at least I know it helps me. Thanks again.

Matt

OK the DA is talking out his rear end.

"the legislature dropped it in their laps" is a cop out.

I plan on having the chat with the son soon, very soon.

It is my responsibility to tell the kids not the schools.

Don't buy him a hooker. (google that)

I thought it sounded like a cop out too. But, if he is a prosecutor of some sort, it might not entirely be his fault. I dunno.

Good luck with the son chat.

So, I can see where they are coming from with the legal aspects of age and what not. However, it has been thrown out there in multiple posts so far that making something illegal won't make it less attractive to a teenager or anyone for that matter.

I had several variations of "sex ed" during my public school affair. They were all mortifying. The first encounter was 4th grade. It was reminiscent of the "women are flowers....as they grow and bloom..." Uh-huh. I am going to bleed for several days and this is okay?! I was 9 and scared to death. They sent me home with some maxi pads and a pamphlet for discussion with my mom. Yeah, no. My mom was never one for inspirational or bond developing conversations about anything. When I was 17 she sat me down and said, "I am taking you to my gyno, you are getting birth control." WTF?! "You aren't going to be a young mom like your sister and I were." Oookkaaayyy. Thanks?

Luckily my mom has some common sense in place of her lack of emotion. She wasn't lost in the fact that just because she was a parent doesn't mean she can't remember being a teen herself.

I stilled learned most things at school, from friends, and my much older sisters. I was warped. I still am straightening out.

But bottom line, I have a daughter, I am already thinking about the conversations we are going to have. I don't want her to go as long as I did with poor ideas about sex, sexuality and the differences.

Information is never dangerous. People are human; we have brains capable of making decisions. It happens all day long. Some are good and others aren't, but if we weren't informed, how could we distinguish the bad from the good?

Someone noted earlier that in the rural areas school is often the only place these kids will get this information. So give it to them. I don't by any means agree parents should give up their custodial responsibilities and throw it back at the schools, however, kids need to know. All aspects.