EMT pay salary

It depends on a LOT of things, but generally, the salary is just over minimum wage. And that's IF you can find a job, which most graduates never do.

Like the old saying goes, if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Good luck!

Depends on the state and service, municiple vs commercial/private (union/non-union).

On average in our state EMT's start around $15 max out at about $21

Paramedics start around $18 and max out at about $28 (non-supervisor)

Most municiple medics start at about $25.13 based on the State workers pay tier. Most start on tier 13 max out on tier 20

Dispatchers start about $17 and max out about $23

Then you need to see if you get s stipend for CME's / Conferences / Do they offor a 401K, what are the costs for your health insurance.

Plus depending on the service you get an increase if your an FTO or have your EMS-Instructor, PALS and ACLS-Instructor.

EMS is not gonna make your wallet fat but if you manage yourself correctly you can get a nice house, car etc...

On average in RN's in our area make $40 to $55/hr and as a traveling nurse we have seen close to $80.

Research the area you go to before you decide if you want this as a career, I did 20yrs ago and have done just fine, yet I have seen others struggle.

Good Luck

Edited by Medic One
  • Like 1

Depends on the state and service, municiple vs commercial/private (union/non-union).

On average in our state EMT's start around $15 max out at about $21

Paramedics start around $18 and max out at about $28 (non-supervisor)

Most municiple medics start at about $25.13 based on the State workers pay tier. Most start on tier 13 max out on tier 20

Dispatchers start about $17 and max out about $23

Then you need to see if you get s stipend for CME's / Conferences / Do they offor a 401K, what are the costs for your health insurance.

Plus depending on the service you get an increase if your an FTO or have your EMS-Instructor, PALS and ACLS-Instructor.

EMS is not gonna make your wallet fat but if you manage yourself correctly you can get a nice house, car etc...

On average in RN's in our area make $40 to $55/hr and as a traveling nurse we have seen close to $80.

Research the area you go to before you decide if you want this as a career, I did 20yrs ago and have done just fine, yet I have seen others struggle.

Good Luck

$15 an hour as an EMT??????? where the hell you from??! Im moving there!! medics start at $12-14 here and EMTs between $8-11 an hour, depends on service and your longevity as EMT.

$15 an hour as an EMT??????? where the hell you from??! Im moving there!! medics start at $12-14 here and EMTs between $8-11 an hour, depends on service and your longevity as EMT.

Thats about right here for CA. I would definitely not go into EMS to make money. I think you really have to have a true passion for it to force the negatives to outweigh the positives.

Edited by Lisa O
  • Like 1

8-11 an hour in Pittsburgh may be equivalent to 15 an hour in a large city like Boston or NYC. 15 an hour in these cities won't get you very far. I made 32/hr in NY as a medic and that was barely enough to pay the bills without OT or side work.

• Like 1

Hi,

I am new to these forums. I am looking to switch careers, and becoming an EMT/Paramedic looks to be the career path i might choose.

What is the average EMT salary? Paramedic?

Thanks!

-Jason

Firefighter/EMT's work 24/48 in Chicago and make around 70/k a year with benefits and and pension.

Medics are single role and work 24/72 with about the same pay and bennies.

Privates services around chicago land pay about 10-15 $ hr with bad benefits and no pension

• Like 1

PCP's generally make between $29 and $38 per hour in Ontario. Casuals get around 14% on top of that in lieu of benefits and vacation.

ACP's generally make between $32 and $45 per hour .

Problem is all these numbers are meaningless without knowing the relative cost of living for an area.

A computer programmer friend of mine was just over $130k to move to California (San Francisco I think). He took one look at the cost of living vs. where he is now and realized it wasn't that big an increase over what he makes now. (~ 90k, self-employed)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.