Trouble At Work: Hit A Curb

Okay, so got into a pickle at work.

One of the rules is that you report any vehicle contacts (like bumping into another car). Any at-fault accident gets you fired, even if minor minor damage (don't know another job like that). Lost best EMT I knew of at the company last month because he let the brake slip while stopped at a light and tapped the car in front of him.

I love patient care, so I'm in the back almost exclusively. Yesterday, decided to be "driver" to switch things up a bit. I scraped the sidewalk curb at some point in the day. Didn't even think twice, no big bump or anything.

Next morning (it's 24 hour shifts), the new shift points out a TINY dent in the outside of the tire rim. I could have said I had no idea where it came from, but I volunteered it might have been from bumping a curb yesterday. They mark it on their daily vehicle checkout sheet.

Usually those sheets are never reviewed. Today the supervisor did. Reported it to management.

Got a call later that day (yesterday) from a manager saying he was placing me on suspension for failing to report a vehicle contact. Said an investigation would have to be done. And I should come down to the office on Monday (next business day) to talk.

I'm feeling pretty anxious about this.

There's a good chance I could be let go, especially if they feel I was trying to cover up damage. I feel like honesty is one of my best traits and have always stayed out of trouble by always being honest. Even in HS when kids were trying to finish HW in class, I'd just tell the teacher at the beginning that I hadn't done it and would get extra days for honesty.

I don't know if the firing decision will have been made already when I go in to talk to them or not (usually they have us fill out incident reports for these things first), but I'm not great with explaining myself on the spot. I'll take responsibility for having bad judgment on not reporting the dent...but might be too late.

Any outside observer views on my situation? Maybe any other supervisors or managers out there with feedback? Except for getting PCR's kicked back I don't really have a bad history with them. No attitude type things.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys

Wow Anthony, no wonder you are stressed.

Your rules and regs are pretty strict regarding vehicle contact. Although I can see where management wants staff to be conscientous about vehicle safety, I can't see where bumping a curb would be a firing offense.

I don't really have any advice to give, although your "honesty is the best policy" will always be the best bet in the long run.

If your service is willing to let good staff go over minor infractions like bumping a curb, are they also firing for patient care report errors or omissions, or errors in drug administration or grey areas in patient care? Which is more important in the long run? I think good patient care is. I think the majority of us have rubbed a curb in some point in our careers - I don't see it as a firing offense. People cannot go through life without making a single error, and those in management who think that 100% perfection, 100% of the time is the only standard, are harming their organization and their staff.

Was your intent to hit the curb? NO

Did you notice the TINY dent? NO

Did you deny that it happened? NO

Did you intentionally not report it? NO

In no way did you act in an unprofessional manner, or did you ever intend to deceive. If you actions were unprofessional, or if you had intended to deceive, that would be different, but you are not like that.

You will definately be in my thoughts as you meet with management over this, and I hope things will come out in your favor.

Annie.

Wow... that rule is a bit harsh. Where I've worked, hitting a curb just meant that you bought ice cream for your crew :P But good luck with everything. Hope it goes well for ya

Wow, that is harsh.

We have a policy where you get driver suspension right away and then have to meet with the training department to re-train as a driver which entales reviewing the CEVO programs (DVD programs) and go through an actual in-house driving class (short cones course) then admin review for the term of time as a non-driver.

I understand the immediate driver suspension but the thought of being let go totally is a bit harsh. We the millions of miles per year EMS drive safety is priority 1 but to know that if you have a minor you can get fired it rough.

I don't know how they even have drivers if they throw down such harsh policy.

As far a check sheets we do log any damage daily on our check sheets, they are reviewed every shift by supervisors and every month a supervisor does a detailed car check for damage, cracked welds(door jams etc) and log all new scratched etc for a monthly report.

Sorry dude....Good luck!!

I always report clipping a curb... I dunno man, with a policy like that it sounds like you may in fact be screwed, simply because you happened to get busted for a miniscule dent. Policies like that are absolutely stupid and do not encourage self reporting at all... just good cover-ups...

The only thing you can say is that honesty and integrity are core values to you and that the curb brush was so slight that it didn't even occur to you that it might have caused damage, and that the crew who pointed it out got an honest response from you- that you thought maybe it could be from brushing the curb. The fact that they canned a guy for a minor fender-bender does not bode well, unfortunately. I'd start looking for new positions right now just in case... hate to say it... but better to get your ducks in a row and not have to use them, right?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Okay, so got into a pickle at work.

One of the rules is that you report any vehicle contacts (like bumping into another car). Any at-fault accident gets you fired, even if minor minor damage (don't know another job like that). Lost best EMT I knew of at the company last month because he let the brake slip while stopped at a light and tapped the car in front of him.

I love patient care, so I'm in the back almost exclusively. Yesterday, decided to be "driver" to switch things up a bit. I scraped the sidewalk curb at some point in the day. Didn't even think twice, no big bump or anything.

Next morning (it's 24 hour shifts), the new shift points out a TINY dent in the outside of the tire rim. I could have said I had no idea where it came from, but I volunteered it might have been from bumping a curb yesterday. They mark it on their daily vehicle checkout sheet.

Usually those sheets are never reviewed. Today the supervisor did. Reported it to management.

Got a call later that day (yesterday) from a manager saying he was placing me on suspension for failing to report a vehicle contact. Said an investigation would have to be done. And I should come down to the office on Monday (next business day) to talk.

I'm feeling pretty anxious about this.

There's a good chance I could be let go, especially if they feel I was trying to cover up damage. I feel like honesty is one of my best traits and have always stayed out of trouble by always being honest. Even in HS when kids were trying to finish HW in class, I'd just tell the teacher at the beginning that I hadn't done it and would get extra days for honesty.

I don't know if the firing decision will have been made already when I go in to talk to them or not (usually they have us fill out incident reports for these things first), but I'm not great with explaining myself on the spot. I'll take responsibility for having bad judgment on not reporting the dent...but might be too late.

Any outside observer views on my situation? Maybe any other supervisors or managers out there with feedback? Except for getting PCR's kicked back I don't really have a bad history with them. No attitude type things.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys

stick with honesty but don't give up without a fight. To have taken the blame is honorable but if you have no idea how it happened then the truth is 'you have no idea'. If you did and failed to report it then look them straight in the eye and tell them that and give your reason. good luck

• Like 1

Look them in the eye, tell them you scrubbed the curb with tire, looked at the wheel, but didnt see the damage, so you didnt report it. Apologize, offer to pay for the damage, if they fire you, you are probably better off. None of us are perfect, and if they can afford to fire good employees for unintentional minor mistakes, then I wish them good luck. But if the precedent has been set, and they have fired others for the same, then you probably are screwed. Read the policy, see if there are any loopholes. Last ditch, do you know anyone else who did this, but was not fired -- maybe a supervisor, or the company slut ? If they have let others get away with it, but fire you, you have reason to appeal through HR. Last last ditch, if you know you are about to be fired, ask if they will allow you to resign if you think you can get another job quickly. If it will be hard to get a job, take your termination and collect your unemployment benefits.

I hit the curb at least once every month! I've never dented or scratched a rim, but I've definitely went up and over curbs before. Our company policy is that if you cause any damage to the unit, then it comes out of your paycheck. Not sure how much you pay, but I know of a few one co-worker who is still paying for a ding in the rear step that happened 6 months ago!

Just explain that you hit the curb and honestly didn't know that there was any damage caused.

Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.