Laptop falls from medical helicopter

Dustdevil

Just proves that there is more than one way for HEMS to kill people. I guess this is why they call them "Toughbooks".

http://www.ems1.com/air-medical-transport/articles/809951-Laptop-falls-from-medical-helicopter-nearly-hits-Minn-boy/

Laptop falls from medical helicopter, nearly hits Minn. boy

Life Link officials said the laptop was mistakenly left on the helicopter's skids by a crew

UPI

ST. CLOUD, Minn. — The family of a Minnesota 10-year-old said the boy was nearly struck by a laptop computer that fell from a medical helicopter.

Grayson Peterka, 10, and his family said they were at a cookout Saturday in St. Cloud when the computer crashed to the ground in front of the boy with a gunshot-like sound, WCCO-TV, Minneapolis-St. Paul, reported Tuesday.

"I heard the helicopter going by. It was pretty low and then they made like a turn. When that happened it fell to the ground," Grayson Peterka said.

Laura Colon, Grayson's aunt, said she investigated the object.

"We came around the side of the garage here and we found a laptop and it was most definitely something that fell. It was busted up pretty good. I looked on the back and I saw Life Link and I said 'No way, that doesn't happen,'" she said.

Life Link officials said the laptop was mistakenly left on the helicopter's skids by a crew when it departed St. Cloud Hospital. The hospital said it is investigating the incident.

Wow what are the odds of that staying on the skids for that long. Bet the butt chewin will be of biblical proportions.

The question is how TOUGH was it? I am curious to hear of it powerd up.

Wow what are the odds of that staying on the skids for that long.

I was wondering the same thing. But since Toughbooks have handles, I'm guessing someone hung it on the skid step by the handle, so it stayed on until the attitude of the aircraft finally dumped it.

This reminds me of the scene from National Lampoon's Vacation, where Clark loops the dog's leash onto his rear bumper, then forgets about it. Common sense says you simply don't do it. Fired.

Edited by Dustdevil

Very dumb......we all make mistakes, but come on now....I wouldnt say fire them, maybe a suspension, make the crew split the cost of a new toughbook, and watch mandatory safety videos.....

• Like 1

I agree with Don. How many times have we set a cup of coffee on the hood or roof of the ambulance.. and forgot about it when driving off? Shit happens.. just because this was a more expensive mistake and potential deadly accident doesn't change the fact that we are all human and make silly mistakes.. like forgetting you put something on the ground.

• Like 1

I agree with Don. How many times have we set a cup of coffee on the hood or roof of the ambulance.. and forgot about it when driving off?

That may be the case that we've all forgotten a cup of coffee, but this was no cup of joe, this was a laptop that would have done major damage (possibly even killed?) any person it would land on. In short, yes it was a mistake, yes it was human error, but there should be remedial training to help lessen the chance that the crew will do this again.

Edited by Defiant1
  • Like 1

That may be the case that we've all forgotten a cup of coffee, but this was no cup of joe, this was a laptop that would have done major damage (possibly even killed?) any person it would land on. In short, yes it was a mistake, yes it was human error, but there should be remedial training to help lessen the chance that the crew will do this again.

Agree defiant 1.......

Honestly, with the media exposure and the "what could of happened" scenarios do you really think the crew will need "remedial training to lessen the chance of it happening again"????

I know if it was my mistake there is no chance it would ever happen again. I would be absolutely horrified that my "mistake" or moment of complacency could have killed someone and wouldn't forget it ever!

I try to learn from other people's mistakes and as a result of this one I will be even more diligent in my "walk arounds" now. Better to learn from someone else's mistakes, I say. Life is too short to make them all myself!!! I am usually diligent anyway as I have heard of pieces of equipment or mechanic's tools being left where they shouldn't have been.

Honestly, with the media exposure and the "what could of happened" scenarios do you really think the crew will need "remedial training to lessen the chance of it happening again"????

I know if it was my mistake there is no chance it would ever happen again. I would be absolutely horrified that my "mistake" or moment of complacency could have killed someone and wouldn't forget it ever!

I try to learn from other people's mistakes and as a result of this one I will be even more diligent in my "walk arounds" now. Better to learn from someone else's mistakes, I say. Life is too short to make them all myself!!! I am usually diligent anyway as I have heard of pieces of equipment or mechanic's tools being left where they shouldn't have been.

You said the key word in this entire scenario..." WALK AROUND"

As a pilot, this is something I do EVERY single time before every leg of a flight...........As a Flight Paramedic, this is something I did as well, EVERY SINGLE TIME........Complacency Kills! Honestly, how hard would it have been to open the door and put it on the seat? Seriously.......MAJOR FAIL........

JW

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.