Online Badges

1aCe3

Looking like cops is bad, yes. If that's the case, aren't we wearing the same uniforms and going with them on calls? Badge isn't going to make a difference.

Wear your badge fella, if you think it will help. I will say it does improve a uniform with a more professional look.

Just my thoughts. Commence firing!!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it looks professional. The problem is, it looks like a totally different profession than we are in! Why copy some other profession? Why not establish a unique identity? You can have an extremely professional appearance without looking anything like a cop. Or a fireman.

Anyhow, in this case I believe the original poster is talking about hanging the badge on his belt, not on his chest.

I've worked in street clothes, police style uniforms, fire style uniforms, flight suits and jumpsuits, and even scrub suits and lab coats. To be honest, I have never noticed a single bit of difference in the reaction of my patients. Their reaction is established by what you say and do.

I would however say that your uniform style does make a difference in the perception of fire and police personnel. I notice a higher level of respect from them when I am in a uniform that doesn't look like I am trying to mimic them. The best treatment I ever got from public safety was when working for a hospital based system who wore scrubs.

Ok,

I don't seem to follow the whole badge thing. It seems I'm being a slow South African again.

At first I thought you were talking about name badges. Then looking at the sites I figured, "Ok, shield type thing".

I have one question, WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU WANT A SHIELD FOR?

In South Africa we have a law forcing us to wear a name badge, the service you work for provides that, the uniform, shoes, belts etc. Only thing you supply is Undies.

That seems to be good enough for me.

S

I stand by what I said. I am not talking about wearing dress uniforms for special occasions. I am talking about when you are out in the field. You are not a cop or a firefighter, you just don't need it. You want to be treated as a medical professional or as an LEO?

Actually i am a Firefighter that is what i was thinking about. I keep forgetting the fac that not all ems is government run.

...not all ems is government run.

Not yet. But one day, the EMS gods will smile upon us and rid us of the scourge of "public safety." :wink:

In old NYC*EMS, EMT's and Paramedics were issued police style EMS badges that they wore on a holder off of their left lapel. Some memebrs, FDNY or voluntary, still have their old NYC EMS shields, a couple of whom wear it on a belt clip. These are really the only people I can tolerate wearing a badge while on duty in EMS. It's a mark of pride and history, they have every right to wear it, I think. Other than that, anybody who wears a police style or detective style badge on a belt clip while on duty is being a buff moron and should be banished to Ho-Ho-Kus, New Jersey. If you are really into wearing a badge, the NYPD is hiring, next test I believe is October 2005, with the test fee waived.

Some memebrs, FDNY or voluntary, still have their old NYC EMS shields, a couple of whom wear it on a belt clip. These are really the only people I can tolerate wearing a badge while on duty in EMS. It's a mark of pride and history, they have every right to wear it, I think.

Yeah, that is perfectly understandable. I can go with that. I would think those medics would look with particular disdain upon n00bs who would be presumptious enough to mimic them. Imitation is not always flattering. Sometimes it's just plain annoying.

with the test fee waived.

Hold it... does NYC seriously charge you to apply for a job? :shock:

Seems like there has to be something unconstitutional about that. :?

When I figure out how to use the flatbed scanner, I'll post a picture of my badge from when EMS was NYC HHC EMS. It's a stop-sign shaped thing. That one was replaced by the "PD style" badge, which I also have.

When FDNY took us over (the "Merger"), we were told not to wear them anymore, in what was felt to be a Star Trek "Borg" maneuver to assimilate us in. "Firefighters don't wear badges, why should you EMS guys?" We were also told to get the FD Blue uniforms, and lose the Hunter Green Pants, Jackets and ties, with white shirt that had been our uniform.

As a possible proof of the assimilation, don't your officers wear a white dress cap as part of their Class A Dress Uniforms? For a long time after the Merger, the top EMS 4 Star Chief was only allowed a Blue one, with Gold Band and the "scrambled eggs" on the brim. After 5 years, EMS Captains and Chiefs finally got the "right" to wear the white hats, like their Fire Suppression side equivalents in rank.