Online Badges

1aCe3

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So should the county road workers wear badges ? Hmm never seen the County Health department officials and nurses (in which have more authority than any EMS) wear badges ?.. Oh that 's right they are medical!

The reason non law enforcement officers wear badges, is simple they want to or have to! Look to what ever excuse you want to justify your self ego.. as you described the job does not require, nor even expects it too, (most patients do not know or really care between private versus public owned EMS).

EMS has no "authority" only in their own mind set.. as well this means you are still wearing the traditional epplet, type uniform... or at least I hope you are to wear a badge.

Want to own a badge... go for it, satisfy your thrill and power (whatever that might be), but I much rather have seen you spend that money on a medical book, written above a 10'th grade level.

As long as we have those whom try to place EMS other than in a medical field, we wil lhave the debate of badges, this part of the problem, not recognizing what the abbreviation of what EMS stands for.

R/r 911

Ok ok everyone. I see that this has degraded to a "EMS is not Police or Fire." I see "EMS don't need badges." But then again, why does a Firefighter need a badge? They have NO law enforcement authority. Same with security officers. I just think that a simple statement got blown out of proportion by those of you on this board who call anyone who has any lights on their vehicle, or a badge, or anything to do with EMS when they are off duty a wanker. I do not mean this as an insult, but to those of you who have this attitude, you really need to think about what you are saying. If you want a badge, that's fine. IF you want and are authorized lights and siren, that's fine. That doesn't make you a wanker or a FNG or anything else. That just means you have a passion and a dedication for this profession. If you don't, that's fine too. It doesn't mean you are any less dedicated. Come on guys and gals, let's just let this topic die. If he wants a badge then so be it. I have one, as well as lights and siren, and I don't think that this makes me any less professional. I don't try to be a cop, nor do I try anything to exceed my authority. its just a thought...

Ok ok everyone. I see that this has degraded to a "EMS is not Police or Fire." I see "EMS don't need badges." But then again, why does a Firefighter need a badge? They have NO law enforcement authority. ..

Your absolutely right ... they don't. In fact, in has been several years since I have seen local firefighters wearing badges. All departments I know of do not or should not use the badge as an identification measure... (pleae refer to EMS news.. there are about 3 stories of falsifying use of badges) There are very few professional departments I know of that still distribute them, other than the volunteer ones. Even the dress or blazers, have a mongrammed insignia.

It is a decoration, without any meaning or purpose. Might as well get gold colored casusceus as well... again, like you described if they want one to look at.. so be it. Just many do assume, that with a badge comes authority (in which the purpose badges were worn).. don't believe me, again read the EMS news section.

R/r 911

Rid, those may be your opinions, but they are your opinion. Where you live, your experiences may be the case. But don't apply your situation to everyones. Sure, there are a few people who try to cheat the system. People who try to be what they are not. But those are the exception, not the rule. I am looking to become a reserve deputy in the county which I live. Does that mean that I am going to be any less of an officer because I have not been to the academy? I look at it as a training opportunity. All I know is, badge or no badge, we have a RESPONSIBILITY to provide our patients with care. A badge isn't going to help or hurt us, just like a class A uniform aint going to help or hurt us....now can we all just let the topic die???and rid, please don't have to have the last word just so you can expound that your position is right and a different opinion is wrong.

Just a thought.

Does that mean that I am going to be any less of an officer because I have not been to the academy? I look at it as a training opportunity.

So this statement means you'll get to play police officer with no formal law enforcement training? Then I'd say yes. It will make you less of an officer. It'll make you more of a danger to the public at large, too. Please tell me they're not going to let you carry a gun!

Where do you live again? I'm NEVER going to visit!

and rid, please don't have to have the last word just so you can expound that your position is right and a different opinion is wrong.

Just a thought.

Why? So you can have it? And I think Rid is right. I also think you're too immature to admit it.

-be safe.

The issue of authority in EMS is a confusing mess at best.

At my current employment, we are expected to exercise authority in certain specific situations.

1.) Providing for the safety of our scene. If it's a MVC/MCI/you name it we have the absolute authority to request people to move from the area in the event of risk to themselves and to call for any and all resources we need. We also have the authority to refuse to proceed if we do not feel public safety officials have adequately secured the scene. Occasionally, we also pull over for someone whose vehicle is disabled in a dangerous position and activate the secondary lights because we feel that someone will eventually ram into that vehicle, creating a MVC. This is a stop-gap measure until people with the true authority for the management of the problem are on scene. Emergency medicine should be proactive about preventing injury as well as treating injury.

2.) Providing for the confidentiality of the patient. Most of this is move to the ambulance and shut the doors.

3.) Authority to advocate for our patient to other medical personnel, be it a nurse, physician or other allied health. Several times in the past month, we have filed reports with the state regarding facilities having no knowledge of their patient, inadequate records, wait times in excess of 45 minutes at the ER on unstable patients or long term care refusing to call 911 on unstable patients.

I firmly believe emergency medical personnel do have authority in regards to the safety of our crew, safety and treatment of our patients and trying to maintain safe practices in the communities we work in. It is inexcusable to not attempt to control a scene, even on a very basic level. In the early stages of any emergency response, it is important to have someone exercising leadership until those officials with true authority over the problem are on scene and assume command.

It's a shiny ID. n That is all.

an alternative to reading the small letters "EMT-Basic" on your cert. For those that can't seem to understand what EMT stands for.

as for authority and responsibility, it basically cuts short when someone refuses your requests because you can't do jack about it until the cops arrive.

oh and no, I did not end up getting the shiny gold DT style badge. :roll:

I have the traditional ny EMS shield that I don't even bother using anymore while on duty whether I'm working 911 or with my private. The only time i've ever shown it was when a curious cop at a tunnel checkpoint wondered what it was for while I was taking my driver's licence out. He let me go without doing the full licence check like he did to all the others. It saved me 10 mins of my time. Woop dee doo. He ended up asking for my employee ID's anyway.

You like it? so wear it and be proud of what you do. Just don't run around flashing it like you can do whatever you want.

I don't know, that's just me - a little more than a year later after having done some time in nyc working in both private and non-private. Uniform's just as spiffy by itself anyways :wink: