Online Badges

1aCe3

Hennepin County medical Center which provides EMS fro 90% of Minneapolis and about 13 other 'burbs (40,000 calls/year) wears a uniform that consists of a ligth brown shirt, drak brown pants and they wear a badge. the unifrom looks real sharp, but a bit too close to LEC for me. if you follwo the link at the bottom, then click on "launch the project" and the click on <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramedic class="postlink">Paramedic</a>, you can see what it all looks liek, and it is kinda cool and interactive, plus it is the wife of my medic instuctor, so thats kinda neat.

http://www.startribune.com/heroes/

Looks like Ranger Bobs wife. :lol: But anywho they do look sharp, but in my opinion, not for EMS.

-dr_vfib

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(it's bad enough being mistaken for a security guard).

Heck, I can't even begin to count the hundreds of times that people mistook me for a security guard while in an EMS uniform, even when I was NOT wearing a badge! People are not into details. They don't read what the badge or patch or nametag you are wearing says, so they are really meaningless to everybody except others in fire, police, or EMS. That is why I have long advocated the establishment of a very separate and unique identity for EMS personnel. Best I can tell, this is the only country that doesn't universally do so.

Dude, we should have an "ugliest uniform" thread! :lol:

I would nominate East Texas Medical Center EMS. Puke green shirts with sea green collars and shoulders, and sea green pants. They look like they ought to be working a Quick Lube garage.

Our service Crown Ambulance in Northern Maine went away from badges and french blue dress shirts about 5 years ago.

Save the badge and flying cross shirts for the hot shots......I'll take the comfort anyday.

We now have the choice of wearing either Navy blue EMT slacks or BDU style pants with an embroidered navy blue polo shirt with green collars and sleeve ends. I like the pants but wish we would go with a solid color for the shirt. Right now we look like Taco Bell workers.

We also have a $315 a year uniform allowance.

On a side note, looking like LEO can hinder patient care in situations where drugs and alcohol are involved. Patients are reluctant to give you important information that could effect your approach if they view you as a symbol of authority.

...looking like LEO can hinder patient care in situations where drugs and alcohol are involved. Patients are reluctant to give you important information that could effect your approach if they view you as a symbol of authority.

It's not just the uniform either! I was caring for a multi-trauma MVA patient one night while running hot to the hospital. He was either drunk or high. I don't remember which. All the way to the ER, he kept yelling at me and my parther, "SLOW DOWN, MAN!! SLOW DOWN!!" We weren't even going that fast, so I couldn't figure out what he was talking about. Finally he yelled, "COME ON MAN!! SLOW DOWN!! THE COPS ARE AFTER US!!" I looked out the back doors and there were no cops behind us, so I told him, "No there's not. There aren't any cops behind us." To which he replied, "THE COPS ARE AFTER US MAN, CAN'T YOU HEAR THE SIRENS??'

:lol: