State Clearances, How many go through them?

EmtFF99

Does your State require their Frs & Emts to obtain & maintain Child Abuse, Elderly Abuse & Criminal Hx Clearances?  

29 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no

What States require their FRs & Emts to go thru & pass a State Clearance for Child Abuse History, Criminal History & Elderly Abuse History before allowing them to either work or volunteer in the Ems Field?

(IE: In the Commonwealth of Pa, if you apply for almost any job within the medical Field (Transcript Sec, RN, CNA, Aide & so forth) except for the FRs, & Emts. You are not required to obtain & maintain these clearances at all.

https://epatch.state.pa.us/RecordCheckEntry.jsp?action=new Pa PATCH

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rid: In Pa, the ONLY time a Employer is reuqired to run them is if the person is applying for jobs such as: CNA, RN, Med. Sec, Child Care, Teacher & so forth. As for Ems Employers (Lizard Transport Services) they are not & most likely do not run a background check such as Child Abuse, Elderly Abuse Hx. Most will run a Criminal Background, but that's about the extent. However, if you are applying for the City of Pgh as a Medic, then (What is called Act 33/34 here in Pa) is completed on the Canidate.

There are Emts & Medics that work for other Services & volly for services that cannot pass a Child/Elderly Abuse Hx Report for the life of them. Would you want Joe Blow Medic transporting your grandmother from the nursing home to the hospital or (-vs-) with a past Hx of Elderly Abuse? I know I would not.

The way I feel is if you are required to pass the Clearances for other medical jobs, then you should ALSO be able to pass it as a Medic, Emt or FR whether in a Paid or Volly Service.

I believe mos tservices are required to perform one before emplyment. Butm the state does not routine run one for licensure.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

Texas doesn't do automatic background checks on medics or nurses for licensure. But if you admit to ANY criminal background on your application, even simple misdemeanors, then they craw up your ass with a microscope and hold up your application sometimes for months.

Texas doesn't do automatic background checks on medics or nurses for licensure.

Sorry, that is incorrect information. When applying of a RN license, they have to do an FBI background investigation, prior to approval of license. I just paid my fee for it, it has been this way for about 2 yrs now.

I think it is ironic, that in my home state if you have even a DWI or any charges, as an RN you have to report it immediately. If you fail to report alcohol or substance abuse charges, you are probably;y going to loose your license immediately. If found guilty of DWI or substance abuse, you are placed on a PEER program that monitors you. If you fail to participate , you forfeit your license. Ironically, EMS (which is responsible for driving) is not that way. It is a shame we do not have such programs in EMS.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

As they should.

I agree in theory. However, it punishes the honest guy by allowing the liars to sneak through the system. The same standard should apply to all applicants.

The Ambulance Act of Ontario basically states that no one can become/continue on as a paramedic if you have been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude for which you haven't been pardoned. Pretty broad, I have never heard of a paramedic here that ever had a criminal record of any kind.

DUI? You're screwed.

Too many points on your license? You're screwed.

College's require criminal record checks prior to admission, as do the services. Pretty sure that here it would encompass all of the above.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.