CPR / AED Trainer

Does anyone have experience with the Actar D-fib® CPR/AED Manikin http://www.armstrongmedical.com/index.cfm/go/product.detail/sec/2/ssec/11/cat/26/fam/366/ and the associated AED trainer, Actar AED Trainer™ http://www.armstrongmedical.com/index.cfm/go/product.detail/sec/2/ssec/11/cat/26/fam/481 ?

How does it hold up in classroom useage? How is it for both responser, and layperson classes?

If you don't have experience with this model, is there one you would reccomend?

I have used the Actar Defib manikins, and I don't like them. They don't stand up well to classroom use. The little clips that hold the head together break. The clips that hold the chest plate in place break. If you are doing a lot of teaching, you will be replacing parts or entire manikins regularly.

I haven't used the Actar AED trainer though, so hopefully someone else can post on that.

I have used the PhysioControl (Medtronic) 500 series and CR+ trainers. I don't like either of them. I don't like the Physiocontrol (Medtronic) AED's in general. Their public access models aren't that good, and they have had a lot of recalls. What I don't like about the 500 is that the spot where you have to plug the pads in is difficult for students to find, even though it is marked, and the connector is difficult to get inserted properly, and students get frustrated, and end up breaking the connector. The CR+ lid breaks easily, and has to be replaced on a regular basis. I use both of these models at the hospital where I do nursing CPR recerts, and they are a pain. The hospital ordered 12 of the 500 series trainers, and all had to be sent back in the first comple months due to battery and programming issues.

FOr my personal instruction, I use the Phillips OnSite, and FR2 trainers - love them both. I have had the FR2 trainer for almost 5 years, and it is nearly indestructible. Students like it because it is easy to use. I got the OnSite trainer 2 years ago, and love that one too - have never had any problems with it, and the students like the CPR coaching that it provides. I am biased - I do like the Phillips stuff the best, but, I have had the best luck with the Phillips products, and when I researched, the recalls on their public access products were WAYY less than PhysioControl.

I haven't used the Zoll product so can't give an opinion on that.

• Like 1