Pa. medic fired after man's snowstorm death

Dustdevil

http://www.ems1.com/communications-dispatch/articles/782114-Pa-medic-fired-after-mans-snowstorm-death/

Pa. medic fired after man's snowstorm death

Curtis Mitchell died waiting 30 hours for help during bad weather despite repeated calls to 911

The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH — A Pittsburgh emergency medical worker has been fired following the death of a man who waited 30 hours for help during a snowstorm despite repeated calls to 911.

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl's office says Josie Dimon was fired Thursday. Her dismissal stems from the death of 50-year-old Curtis Mitchell during a February storm that dropped nearly two feet of snow on the city.

Mitchell had a history of pancreatic inflammation. He and his girlfriend called 911 10 times seeking help for his abdominal pain, but medics couldn't reach their home because of the snow. He was asked to walk four blocks to an ambulance but couldn't make it.

Three other medics were suspended. The paramedics union has said they would fight the suspensions.

A phone message left Friday for Dimon hasn't been returned.

• Like 1

This is an old article. Has drawn up alot of hostility here on the Burgh. I can go on about this but I'm not. I have commented n the other posts about this issue.

This is an old article.

Hmmm... the article is dated 2 April, so yes, it is several days old. I'm wondering how it got past the JEMS news ticker? They were printing articles about this daily for awhile, and now they've totally dropped it.

She definitely should have been fired, but I hope they're not stopping with her.

Edited by Dustdevil

I don't think she should have been fired, all she did was state how over half of us feel IN A PHONE CONVERSATION.....really? There was nothing telling her she was being recorded and this was not stated over the radio. I believe they was all at some fault, Pittsburgh mayor was drunk at Mardi Gras and the PSD was out if town too, but nothing was done to them, we all knew here that this storm was coming a week and half, the dispatchers encouraged the man to cancel ems and the pt and wife cancelled multiple times. So I blame all of them including the DPW.....Pittsburgh EMS was just a great scapegoat for this.

Edited by EMTDON970

She should not have been fired. She is the scape goat for an unprepared system. Start at the top not the bottom.

I can't agree. Although there is plenty of blame to go around -- and it should -- that does not mean that she herself should not also accept responsibility for her personal FAIL. I'm not of the theory that if everyone doesn't get punished, then no one should get punished. If you fail, your punishment is irregardless of other failures or their punishment. Two words: Personal Responsibility.

• Like 2

I can't agree. Although there is plenty of blame to go around -- and it should -- that does not mean that she herself should not also accept responsibility for her personal FAIL.

The only personal fail by this woman was the failure to consider that the phoneline she spouted off on may have been recorded- which not even be legal under PA law. Many states require that both parties being recorded have to be made aware of that fact, or its a crime punishible by fines and/or jail.

She was fired for her comments on the recorded line and not for the fact that the guy died. Hence why she was fired and nobody else.

Let's remember that everyone involved was cleared by the PEMS medical director and the Commonwealth of PA.

Edited by CBEMT

Hmmm... the article is dated 2 April, so yes, it is several days old. I'm wondering how it got past the JEMS news ticker? They were printing articles about this daily for awhile, and now they've totally dropped it.

She definitely should have been fired, but I hope they're not stopping with her.

http://www.emtcity.com/index.php/topic/18009-news-feed-two-pittsburgh-paramedics-face-discipline-in-snowstorm-death-jemscom/page__p__238586__fromsearch__1&#entry238586

16 Feb 10

The 'search function' is your friend, Dust! :fish::lol::pc::P

What are you guys smoking? It's NOT THE SAME STORY!

Suspensions are not the same thing as a firing. This is a whole new story.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.