What to Do With An "Off" Crew Member

Ok folks would like some advise if possible. The volly squad I am on is small (14 active mebers) so we are on multiple shifts with diffrent crews. What do you do if one of the crews you are on has a member thats just not gelling? The crew I am currently on during my 48 is awsome. The two women and me gel very well, work without having to say much and basically know each others roles and where to be and what to do. Well on this same crew is a 4th member who just seems off. Stands around at scenes until told what to do, stands in the background without much input, basically just in the way. I know this person can be a great EMT and will probably work out well in our crew but even after trying to help (training days, rig checks, that sort of thing) it seems everything goes in one ear and out the other OR total deer-in-headlights syndrom.

I dont want to switch crews and my other crew member feels the same way but we are at a loss on what to do. What would you folks do? I do think she would be a great EMT if she puts her mind to it and hopefully she does.

• Like 1

I too had a similar problem with one of my volunteer members. There’s not a great deal you can do, as a manager I just documented and wrote incident reports every time something went wrong and reported it to the regional clinician.

Because it’s a volunteer service there really wasn’t many options in regards to having him dismissed because of discrimination and so on but I did suspend him from his operational role pending medical investigation, subsequently he is no longer an operational member and can not treat patients but still has full rights to attend meetings and trainings which he takes full advantage of to everyone’s dismay!

The first step I recommend:

You inform your OIC.

and

You approach him with your issues to define a cause to these problems - in the company of a mediator and have the conversation documented. It may be something as simple as lack of confidence that can be rectified with more education and training.

Pending the outcome of this interview will dictate as to what action is needed next.

• Like 1

Thanks Timmy. As far as the OIC she is on my crew actually LOL Its my Captn. She has tried to get the member more active thinking (as we all have) it may be lack of confidence. One thing is that when she does stuff she does it well, she just needs to be told what to do. Just dont let her near the O2, cant seem to figure out the 2 little pegs go into the 2 little holes LOL I guess it seems she is worse then she really is because the 3 of us gel so well and she just seems the "odd man out"

Talking with her is easy, I usually do that during the rig check before shift. I sit there with the clip board and checklist and have her do it all while I ask questions. I figure if she gets comfortable with us and the gear it might help. Right now it doesnt seem to be but hopefully it will. One good saving grace with her is she has no issues with the nasty stuff so shes usually cleaning the rig after a messy call.

Like I said before, I really do think she will be a great EMT, just needs to get involved more and think on her feet. Anyone have suggestions on how to do that? I know it comes with time an experience but anything I can do in the meantime to help it along?

Edited by UGLyEMT

Sure. With out knowing this person or the situation it’s hard to pass comment.

The way I run things with the new members and cadets is tell them to take the lead while I provide supervision and support, tell her to ask questions if she’s stuck but at the same time warn them not to be offended if things start to turn pear shaped and I need to step in and take over. At the end of the call sit down with her, ask her how she went, ask about weak and strong points and ways to improve and then offer your feedback.

I’m sure with some constructive feedback and extra training and support things will work out for the best.

On the other hand:

Does she really want to be in EMS and takes a strong interest or just she just want to help around the station with cleaning trucks and so on? There’s nothing wrong with taking a step back to provide a support role.

• Like 1

Gotcha Timmy.

Good advise thanks. I will try some of those next time I am on that crew.

Sometimes it is fun being on 3 crews bonk.gif Makes things interesting

One thing I do like about our Ambulance Officers is that a spade is called a spade and you know it without a lot of touchy feely wanking off.

That does not mean you have to rude, aggressive or insulting; but simply to clearly state the problem and why is is a problem, find out the factors behind it and fix them.

How old is this person? What sort of background do they have work wise? Are they naturally a reservist? Do they talk much about stuff like what's on telly at the station or what the crew should have for dinner etc?

Perhaps you could approach and ask if she is finding her role as an Ambulance Officer acceptable? challenging? is there something she needs help with?

It sounds like you are trying but you could try some role play; get two or three ambo's around the table and work out a scenario that she has to act out and solve as if it were a job. That is often a really good way of getting somebody up to speed. You could act as her partner, perhaps take the lead role first and ask her what she would like to do with the information being gathered, what might you need etc. Then let her try.

The other option you have is to involve whatever Clinical Support processes you have or if she is really that bad (you said don't let her near O2 and that is worrying) you should talk to your Clinical Management.

Thanks Kiwi. I have been trying the scenarios with her. So hopefully they work. Yea the O2 thing is worrying because its repition to lack of details. I mean yes we all but a regulator or two on wrong when we first started but after that it was pretty basic. Line up the pins, make sure the seal is there, tighten. She messes up at the pin stage.

Maybe the next time around I will sit down with the whole crew and try going over our actual calls and reviewing them. That way it reinforces the real life expeiences.

As I type this it sounds as though I am a crew chief when I am a newbie EMT. Not new to the squad, was a driver for over a year, just new to the patient side. Guess that is why I am trying to help her so much. LOL

Everybody has the 'potential to be a great EMT', unfortunately not everyone is cut out for this field.

What I find particularly worrisome is the failure to pay attention to details, no matter how small. If the simple act of setting a regulator onto an oxygen tank is giving her 'problems', what will happen when she runs into 'little details' like checking the spine before putting the patient on a LSB? Sometimes it's the 'little details' that can cause a patient's condition to go downhill in a hurry.

Since the OIC is a member of the crew, and knows what's going on first hand; it sounds like the Captain needs to step up and take action.

I hate to advocate people getting fired, especially in these hard times; but it sounds like action must be taken before someone gets seriously hurt or worse.

Everybody has the 'potential to be a great EMT', unfortunately not everyone is cut out for this field.

What I find particularly worrisome is the failure to pay attention to details, no matter how small. If the simple act of setting a regulator onto an oxygen tank is giving her 'problems', what will happen when she runs into 'little details' like checking the spine before putting the patient on a LSB? Sometimes it's the 'little details' that can cause a patient's condition to go downhill in a hurry.

Since the OIC is a member of the crew, and knows what's going on first hand; it sounds like the Captain needs to step up and take action.

I hate to advocate people getting fired, especially in these hard times; but it sounds like action must be taken before someone gets seriously hurt or worse.

ok, I'll be the ahole in this bunch.

It sounds like you have done your due diligence and it's time to get your hands dirty. If you won't do it then someone else has to.

Have a sit down come to christ meeting with them and tell em that they are just not getting it. ASk em WHY??? What is hindering their getting into the scene and lending a helping hand without being asked.

If they say "Uh, I donnno" then I hate to say it but maybe it's time to kick their butt to the curb and say "Go find a different career" Firing someone is never easy and it sure sounds like you've done your steps to keep em from getting axed but seriously

How many more calls where they stand and do nothing do you have to endure before either someone gets hurt or YOU get hurt by this

"bystanders" attitude and work ethic.

I'm sure it's prestigious for everyone on your department for being volunteer firefighters or emt's or whatever but prestige is just

not good enough here. This person is a liability and you and your patients will only pay the price

It's time for a put up or shut up meeting.

just my 2 cents though

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.