Bariatric Stretcher

I currentlly work for a private ambulance company in NJ and my question is regarding weight we are required to lift. Is there a weight limit in NJ that two EMT's are required to lift before assist is required? The second question is if there is where can I find it offically posted?

Thanks

One thing you should also be aware of, in any ambulance, is the weight limit your stretcher can handle. I've seen people put 650lb patients on stretchers with 500lb weight limits. They think it's okay, lowered all the way down, but it still buckles the frame.

One thing you should also be aware of, in any ambulance, is the weight limit your stretcher can handle. I've seen people put 650lb patients on stretchers with 500lb weight limits. They think it's okay, lowered all the way down, but it still buckles the frame.

both the stryker and the ferno 35 series are rated for higher weights when they are at their lowest levels.

We have 2 bariatric stretchers at work and use on at least daily. Suppose to have a supervisor for anything over 300 lbs...didnt get help today with 400 pounder and now im sore.

We have discretion for requesting lift assist, which to me makes way more sense than a specific number. How often do you have an accurate weight for your patients? Also, weight isn't the only factor. How awkward are the lifts? How many stairs? Corners? Terrain? etc.

Over an estimated 300lbs (or 350lbs, I'd have to verify in the protocol) the pt. does fit into our bariatric guidelines and rather than request just a lift assist we're supposed to request the bariatric unit specifically. That way the pt. has the large body stretcher, appropriately sized straps and the crew has the airbags, ramps and winches they may need.

If you're able to talk with your employer, I'd urge them to take a more discretionary approach. The cost of the extra responses for lift assist will probably still be much less than the cost of injured crew. Especially if your employer still maintains minimum standards for lifting.

At the place I work for now it really all depends on if there is a free crew for lifting assistance. I know our policy states both crew members need to be able to lift up to 150 pounds, but some are stronger and some are weaker. They also try to send two men for the heavier patients. Depends on the day and dispatcher.

Our policy for employees is clearely ststed in our employee manual and new hires must pass a gruiling testing period.

Each employee must be able to lift a 150lbs using proper lifting technique. We usually have several tests that we use. We have a dummy that and weight can be added or removed to simulate a patient. We verify the weight on a stretcher to total 300lbs and use an FTO and the student/new employee to lift in several situations. This is repeated with canvass and poles, stair chair, dummy drag, manual lifting...etc...

I think there is probably not too many state lifting requirments but more department based.

As far as what we do for LBS patients, we have two fully equipt bariatric cars with power beds. We required a a minimum of 4 employees for any lifting of LBS patients weighing more than 400lbs. An on duty supervisor must be present (if not on a current call) for all bariatric calls raising the crew to 5. Problem is that this ties up two ambulances plus a supervisor or FD Engine company. But it can save us from a large court case and member of service injury claim should be have a drop of the patient. We all know that the average employee back injury settlement can average in the hundreds of thousand dollar range.

Any patient over 350lbs requires a third attendant during the lifting and loading of the cot into/out of the ambulance and loading/unloading of the patient from the cot. This is usually done by the on-duty supervisor.

Our Power LBS cot is rated for 700lbs anything over we have a preplan with local heavy lifting company that specializes lifting mechanical equipment. In the past we have used a sheet rock flat bed truck that had one of the lifts on it to remove a patient from the home transporting in a U-Haul van on a custom platform that the FD trench rescue team built while we worked on extricating the pt.

Edited by Medic One

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.