Drunk Man Steals Ambulance in San Diego

VentMedic

Posted: Saturday, April 3, 2010

Updated: April 3rd, 2010 08:25 PM GMT-05:00

Drunk Man Steals Ambulance in San Diego

http://www.emsresponder.com/article/article.jsp?id=12729&siteSection=1

San Diego police said a man just out of the hospital for intoxication stole an ambulance and fled from police before they stopped him with spike strips. Police said 52-year-old Paul John Sos was arrested Saturday on suspicion of auto theft, failure to yield to police and felony drunk driving.

Police Sgt. Ray Battrick said Sos had been found drunk and taken to Sharp Hospital in a private ambulance. Battrick said Sos checked himself out Saturday morning then found an unattended fire department ambulance with keys in the ignition.

The ambulance had GPS installed and police quickly found it, but Sos refused to stop, leading a slow pursuit through residential streets before he was stopped with spike strips and arrested.

Police did not know if he had hired an attorney.

For the first few weeks on the job I was really bad at either forgetting the keys in the ignition and having to go back for it, or forgetting what pocket I shoved them in. To fix that put a carabeener on my belt and I click the keys on them whenever I get out of the truck. Now my biggest problem is forgetting to put the key back in when I go to drive, hitting the brake and shutting off the truck.

I didn't build these habits out of nowhere though. I learned quickly from all these articles over the years and a modicum of common-sense. Either providers don't follow the news within their own industry or they don't learn from the mistakes of others.

Dust, that was probalby a Rural Metro or some other private ambulance. SD Fire doesn't have their own ambulances anymore.

Thanks! That's what I thought! But the article seemed so sure that it was FD that I thought maybe the system had changed and I was out of the loop on it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.