Deputies Handcuff Fire Captain Trying to Aid Woman

scubanurse

My thinking is that in the time between the transport crew arriving and treating the patient and them (the transporting crew) asking the Fire Service for help; at that interim in the time-space continuim the Firefighters were not directly assisting the crew so had no point in being there.

If they were standing there doing nothing because they were not treating the patient and the Ambulance Officers had not yet asked them for help, I don't see the problem with the Police asking them to leave.

The article does not say if the firefighters were in the jail standing next to the victim, if they were in the hall outside, or in the foyer, or where they were and what they were doing or not doing. I can only assume they were in some spot the cops did not want them to be and were asked to leave.

The Fire Captain saying "I am not going to leave" is a bit weird; if he is not directly involved in patient care, then he is not needed right at that very moment, he has been asked to leave by a Police Officer, so what on earth would posess him to think that he has a reasonable justification for saying no? If I am not needed someplace because somebody else is doing my job and they have not yet asked for my help, why would I stand there not doing anything?

Maybe the cop was being a jerk because he disliked the Fire Service or maybe he felt the Firefighters weren't needed and thier presence was somehow detrimental to the overall situation I can't say.

Either way, this is strange. Maybe somebody can explain this to me because I obviously don't understand how this works!

It sounds as if the LEO's denied access to the patient as even the Sheriff stated that the fire crew was on scene before EMS and they were DENIED access to treat the patient??? So they weren't just standing around twiddling their thumbs they were trying to treat an injured patient.

It sounds as if the LEO's denied access to the patient as even the Sheriff stated that the fire crew was on scene before EMS and they were DENIED access to treat the patient??? So they weren't just standing around twiddling their thumbs they were trying to treat an injured patient.

If that is indeed what happened, and the Fire Service were there first, then it seems a bit weird the cops didn't let them treat the patient.

Although on the OTHER hand, if they were indeed trying to access the patient when the Police had told them they weren't able to (for whatever reason), technically I suppose they could be cited for obstruction.

That however, is a bit extreme.

There is obviously more to this story than meets the eye.

I ignore kiwi 99% of the time. He's an expert in everything (look at the topic about starting an HEMS service he states he has extensive experience with radio communication and a few posts later someone is telling him how wrong his info is; typical kiwi).

This situation is a mess and is turning into a political game orchestrated by the Sheriff to try and promote the public safety officer. This situation can only get worse (unless the sheriff backs down or is kicked out of office).

The bottom line is - the firemen/EMT was on scene to assess the patient and assist the transporting unit (and beat them on scene). The Deputies interfered with this and possibly violated his civil rights, falsely arrested him, interfered with an emergency call, and acted like idiots. All at the expense of the patient (who I believe should file suit against the SO).

Kate, keep us updated if you hear anything. I'm really curious as to what happens next.

Kiwi, shut up.

I ignore kiwi 99% of the time. He's an expert in everything (look at the topic about starting an HEMS service he states he has extensive experience with radio communication and a few posts later someone is telling him how wrong his info is; typical kiwi).

You clearly cannot read. I have extensive background in aviation systems and regulatory complaince.

Standard air-to-ground/air-to-air is 118-136Mhz while Ambulance here at least is 400MHz or there abouts; you try dialing up the Ambulance frequency in your standard airband transciever or likewise, the CTAF/UNICOM/ATS frequency the HEMS chopper is on into the Motorola in the fire truck and you're shit out of luck.

If you're gonna diss me, at least diss me for things I actually say and not what you think I said. :)

Medic Texas:

Please don't put me into the middle of an argument with anyone. Looking at my response in the other string you referred to, I now realize that we are not just talking local jurisdictions, as Kiwi is in another country, on a different continent, even.

I suspect, due to conditions of area(s) served, Kiwi might actually be able to educate me in things HEMS, snake bite, and other things. I'm more city oriented, and no more than 15 minutes away from the nearest ER thru out the city, whereas Kiwi might have a few hours transport time. Apples and oranges!

Besides, if I get into an argument, I'll do my own arguing.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

You clearly cannot read. I have extensive background in aviation systems and regulatory complaince.

Standard air-to-ground/air-to-air is 118-136Mhz while Ambulance here at least is 400MHz or there abouts; you try dialing up the Ambulance frequency in your standard airband transciever or likewise, the CTAF/UNICOM/ATS frequency the HEMS chopper is on into the Motorola in the fire truck and you're shit out of luck.

If you're gonna diss me, at least diss me for things I actually say and not what you think I said. :)

Okay guys... there really is no need for name calling... Can we try to be mature enough to have a discussion about this without resorting to name calling and bickering?

And medic_texas... I believe direct name calling like that is against the forum rules so I'd just mind your manners.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhem... back to the topic at hand.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14886097

Deputy charged in jailing of Leadville fire captain

By Mike McPhee

The Denver Post

POSTED: 04/14/2010 09:09:34 PM MDT

UPDATED: 04/15/2010 09:35:44 AM MDT

The district attorney for Lake County has charged a sheriff's deputy with three crimes relating to the incident last month, in which he arrested and jailed a Leadville fire captain who was responding to a medical emergency call to treat a woman with a neck injury.

Prosecutor Mark Hurlbert said he has charged Deputy Steven James with first-degree official misconduct, obstructing a medical person and trespassing on public property, which is defined as keeping a public official from doing their duty.

Each charge is a Class II misdemeanor and carries the potential of two years in jail if convicted. James was given the summons Wednesday and will have his first court appearance in 60 to 90 days.

Additionally, Hurlbert chose to file no charges against Leadville Fire Capt. Dan Dailey.

On the evening of March 27 a Leadville woman drove to the sheriff's office to file an abuse complaint against her husband. While talking to James and Deputy Arin Hart, she complained of a neck injury. James had the sheriff's dispatcher in the next room issued an emergency call for an ambulance.

But Fire Capt. Dailey was monitoring the radio and responded, as well as the ambulance. When he arrived with two other firefighters in the sheriff's office, James and Hart ordered the firefighters to leave.

Dailey refused. So the deputies handcuffed him and put him in jail while the two other firefighters left. Police Chief Mike Leak arrived at the jail awhile later and removed Dailey from his cell.

Fire Chief Robert Harvey said later that Dailey had acted appropriately by responding to the emergency call.

Leadville officials said there has been a two-year feud between the Sheriff Ed Holte and the fire department over who should be dispatched first to emergency calls. Holte believes the deputies should respond to most calls first to assess the situation, then call the fire department if needed.

However, Mayor Bud Elliott accuses Holte of violating an agreement between the city of Leadville and Lake County over the choice of first responders.

Hurlbert sent investigators to Leadville shortly after the jailing and released his conclusions on Wednesday.

"Our primary concern was the safety of the public," Hurlbert said. "We felt the deputy kept the EMT (Dailey) from treating the person and that the EMT was merely doing his duty."

Hurlbert said his office is continuing to investigate another incident last week in which Deputy John Ortega used a Taser stun gun on 30 high school students during a career fair at the school. Ortega, who was immediately suspended for one week without pay, said the students had asked him to Taser them and had given him permission. School officials said the students did not give their permission.

Mike McPhee can be reached at (303) 954-1409 or mmcphee@denverpost.com

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.