Argyle Turkel Saftey Cath.

I am looking for input on the Argyle Turkel Safety needle. The company that I am wish is looking at a new needle for chest decompression. I have done some research and have only good things about this. However, the only things that I could find are from hospitals. I am looking for input from the street! Just the basics, pros, cons, ups, downs, what you think, just things like that would be amazing!

post-24916-12700848504296_thumb.jpg

GREAT device! Used them in training, but never on an actual patient. They have all the necessities built into it. It can get in the way of itself, but if you take your time, it will be fine. I suggest contacting the rep, and seeing if they can send some to your station for testing. If they are local, they will probably offer to come in and do a demonstration. Highly recommend it.

GREAT device! Used them in training, but never on an actual patient. They have all the necessities built into it. It can get in the way of itself, but if you take your time, it will be fine. I suggest contacting the rep, and seeing if they can send some to your station for testing. If they are local, they will probably offer to come in and do a demonstration. Highly recommend it.

We actually already have a demo in hand and we are trying to present it to management as we have to stock in on 14 ALS trucks and do it all from in house stock! So, we are trying to get as much evidence, facts, and data as possible!

Thank you for your input though!

• 2 months later...

We have been using them in Regina Saskatchewan Canada now for a few years, excellent product with no concerns at all.

Prior to this product we had been using a Surflo 14g IV Cathlon, the reason for the change was our employer (Health Region) moved total use of Safety Engineered Sharps Devices.

Hope this helps, sorry for the late reply, I just noticed this thread.

Brett H.

• 2 months later...

I like the Turkell Safety Needle a lot http://bit.ly/bjamsd

It still unfortunately, needs a high flow one-way valve like the Hemlich Valve now more commonly called Chest Drain Valve,made by Cook, with connecting tubing. There as a valve inside, but it is only for initial decompression after insertion. Once the stylus is withdrawn, basically so is the valve.

I love putting the Turkell and Heimlich with Tubing in clear plastic 2-3" diameter tube about 15" long. Makes the whole kit easily packed without damage to these rather expensive and somewhat fragile components.

I remember one of the more striking things I learned working in the ER after years on the street, was that it did not seem like needle decompressions often did much to relieve a frank pneumothorax.

The problem is since most people use an IV catheter, they are using a catheter that once the metal stylus is removed is very soft. It was made for safely riding in a soft vein, not a rigid and muscular chest wall. They often just collapse once the stylus is withdrawn, rendering the elaborate rigging of one-way valve systems afterwards rather pointless.

The Turkell has a catheter engineered for the purpose, with a built in placement indicator. It's an elegant part of the optimal solution in my opinion.

Edited by PhillyD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.