Medical Helicopter Requirements?

Oh and to answer your original question, the pilots' fly the helicopter it is the crewmembers job to talk with the ground services. Generally they would use a VHF system, something in the 400MHz range.

1) Anything in the 400 MHz realm and above is UHF, not VHF. FYI.

2) To give an idea of Aviation frequencies, take into account that JFK International Airport Tower is 119.10 AM. (I am a Registered Radio Monitor/Short Wave Listening Station, courtesy "call-sign" KNY2SC, so I think I know at least a small bit of radio stuff)

3) Most, but not all, aviation radio traffic is in AM (Amplitude Modulation) mode, not FM (Frequency Modulation) mode. Most of our (LEO, FD, EMS) radio communications are FM mode.

While 2 dudes (or dude-etts, as not to be sexist) might want to start up an Air Ambulance/S&R Service, as already pointed out, you have the cost of the aircraft itself, fuel, the concept, as told me by friends in the NYPD Aviation Bureau, and cost of 2 hours maintenance for each hour of flight, the cost of keeping on at least one trained pilot for every hour of the day, the cost of a mechanic for similar hours, and let's not forget insurance for the helicopter, the office space, and the hangar areas.

While I do not say it can't be done, I would go on record that the chances of the company surviving into a second year would be microscopic.

By the way, another agency you might want to check out for information is Just Helicopters, an organization of helicopter pilots, helicopter aviation agencies, and "Rotor Heads", which are fans of helicopters (pun unintended: "fans"). I have used them as a reference on several postings in the city in the past. They are at http://www.justhelicopters.com .

Used helicopters formerly operated by the military? From the late 1960s to about 1980, the NYPD operated 2 "Hueys". Per my friends there, when they were delivered to the NYPD, they still had bullet holes from North Vietnam and Chinese troops' AK-47s in them.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

By the way, another agency you might want to check out for information is Just Helicopters, an organization of helicopter pilots, helicopter aviation agencies, and "Rotor Heads", which are fans of helicopters (pun unintended: "fans"). I have used them as a reference on several postings in the city in the past. They are at http://www.justhelicopters.com .

If anyone thinks the OP got a hostile response here, wait to see the replies he'd get over at JustHelicopters. This place is tame by comparison.

1) Anything in the 400 MHz realm and above is UHF, not VHF. FYI.

2) To give an idea of Aviation frequencies, take into account that JFK International Airport Tower is 119.10 AM. (I am a Registered Radio Monitor/Short Wave Listening Station, courtesy "call-sign" KNY2SC, so I think I know at least a small bit of radio stuff)

3) Most, but not all, aviation radio traffic is in AM (Amplitude Modulation) mode, not FM (Frequency Modulation) mode. Most of our (LEO, FD, EMS) radio communications are FM mode.

While 2 dudes (or dude-etts, as not to be sexist) might want to start up an Air Ambulance/S&R Service, as already pointed out, you have the cost of the aircraft itself, fuel, the concept, as told me by friends in the NYPD Aviation Bureau, and cost of 2 hours maintenance for each hour of flight, the cost of keeping on at least one trained pilot for every hour of the day, the cost of a mechanic for similar hours, and let's not forget insurance for the helicopter, the office space, and the hangar areas.

While I do not say it can't be done, I would go on record that the chances of the company surviving into a second year would be microscopic.

Used helicopters formerly operated by the military? From the late 1960s to about 1980, the NYPD operated 2 "Hueys". Per my friends there, when they were delivered to the NYPD, they still had bullet holes from North Vietnam and Chinese troops' AK-47s in them.

Richard,

Good info about the radio stuff......The cost structure you outlined above SHOULD be covered ad nauseum in a well written Business Plan...As a Pilot, Paramedic, and someone who holds an MBA, I certainly agree with you the chances of startup and making it past year 1 are slim at best without proper leadership and capital.....

Respectfully,

John Wade MBA, FP-C

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.