Cheating? Seriously?!

tcripp

And I'm going to say the same of you, I'll explain below.

Then, and I mean this to be honest, not offensive, your class failed. The older generation owes so much more to the attitude of the younger generation today than they are willing to admit. The science of teaching techniques and strategies has evolved incredibly over the last century yet these 'new' tools lay rusting in the shed of ego and tradition. So many want to teach, yet very few actually want to be judged on their teaching. The older generation is firmly entrenched in THEIR sense of entitlement to continue to do things the way they've always been done despite the fact that they have been, and continue to be, proved to unproductive. They retain their ability to puff out their chests at their academic prowess by blaming children for being poor students.

If you've put yourself in the role of teacher, then you are responsible for creating a curriculum and an environment where children learn. Not where they 'should' learn, but where they do. If you've failed in your task, they should not be held fully responsible, though of course that is an ego shattering concept for those that like to brag of 'teaching.' If you've created a class that is so disengaging that students wish to leave it, you fail. If you choose to blame genetics, youth, video games, or television for the fact that you are unable to teach, then you fail again.

Can you see that your sense of entitlement to call failure success, to call stagnation virtue, to deflect blame instead of embracing it as a catalyst for change, is no less pathologic than the sense of entitlement that you blame on the kids? If you didn't before, yet have the aptitude and critical thinking skills necessary to be influencing young minds, then you should certainly be able to see it now I think.

These issues won't get better until we put ourselves back into the equation. Until we quit saying, "Good God, 'they' can't/won't/don't want to learn!" And instead begin by saying, "Holy shit..what have I been thinking??"

It's not my intention to bust your chops brother. I'm not trying to be insulting, but clear.

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinions. I look forward to your thoughts.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

You are correct, and no I am not offended. The first one went well (First Aid) I knew that I was doing that and was able to prepare for a week or more and borrowed some props. It went great. The second got sprung on me with about 3 days notice. I did not have the time to do a good presentation and worked with what little I had. Yes it could have been better and yes I have wondered if "I" failed them...

As the old saying goes, If you are not a part of the solution then you are part of the problem. I totally believe it. I know a little more about the subject and if need be with a little more notice I can get the necessary props to do the class.

The general attitude of the kids was more of what I was commenting on. Unfortunately some of them have no interest in putting forth the effort to achieve anything. They believe it should just be handed to them. Some of the requirements like the 5 mile hike we try to make a little more intersting. We include other requirements like identifying wildlife and trees and stop along the way to do this as well as just talking to the kids about what is going on with school and family and life in general. Anything to get there mind off the fact that it is 5 miles. It is inevitable that about 1/2 way into the hike or whatever I hear the complaining about stopping and just saying that we did it.

I guess my observation is more from a lack of integrity, honor, or commitment. But we will keep plugging away and working with them. We can't give up on them. We have to keep working with them and trying to teach the values or we have failed. If we give up on them, then they have no positive reinforcement and will give up on themselves. Failure is not an option.

Thanks for the feed back. I am always open to criticism and new ideas. Trust me I do not have all the answers.

• Like 2

More than once I asked my dad, "Jeeze... I didn't do that when I was a kid, did I?" The answer was always an incredulous laugh and, "Don't kid yourself!"

I learned to stop asking that question. It's not generational. It's just kids.

You do know that Insanity is hereditary?

You get it from your kids!

If someone is absolutely serious and dedicated, they wouldn't need to cheat. They would learn it, know it, and know how to use their education and common sense.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but I have no tolerance to cheating at any level of EMS.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but I have no tolerance to cheating at any level of EMS.

I have a feeling that those of us who actually post to these strings, and a majority of those who just read, or simply lurk, join you in that lack of tolerance.

I have a feeling that those of us who actually post to these strings, and a majority of those who just read, or simply lurk, join you in that lack of tolerance.

THANX

You do know that Insanity is hereditary?

You get it from your kids!

You also forget that you should be nice to your kids cause they choose your Nursing Home.........