Cheating? Seriously?!

tcripp

Just a quick rant here and a rhetorical question, but what compels one to cheat? Is it really that difficult to do the work and then test your knowledge? (Argh!)

I needed to take a FEMA IS 700.a class for my new job. To find the website, I did a quick google search on FEMA ICS 700. Guess what the first option was that popped up? "FEMA Answers" I get the gist...and go through the course and take the test...but now my curiosity is up. After printing off my successful completion certificate, I go search.

I'm appalled at the number of people who have posted something to the effect of, "I need the answers...now."

I'm not naive. I saw this in school and thought it was immaturity. I decided that somewhere along the lines those people might just wash out and it wouldn't be a big deal.

But, what happened to pride in one's self, in betterment of one's education, in personal integrity? Or is this simply more entitlement? I don't have to work for it because someone will just give it to me.

Worse yet...the answers can be found if you look hard enough. Hey...you who posted the answers. Do you really want THAT person on your team who's not going to know what to do?

Okay. I'm done with the rant.

• Like 2

+1 Lone star.

I agree with you. I had the opportunity to assist with a ITLS class. The thing that sucks about these classes is the recert thing. Folks just want to show up, do the scenario, take the test and go home. We had more people on the Sunday than the Saturday. They didn't want the education, they NEEDED the card!

Oh, and the best part. The question was asked, " Are we going to go over the test?" To which we answered, "No, if you were here yesterday, you would know the answers. Since you weren't, we just assume you know everything already". Some of them are now searching for another class and I don't think my review as an instructor will be to favorable. However, if this the type of student I will have in my class, I really don't want to teach it anyway.

Edited by JakeEMTP

When we did our required FEMA classes, the answers were floating around. Whomever took the test checked the answers and circulated them for all to see. I never looked at them. First, I would never trust these clowns to even have the right answers- most are dumb as a bag of hammers. Good guys, but most are not MENSA candidates. Second, the material for these tests is NOT difficult. They are written at around a 5th grade level, so anyone who cannot comprehend the material should probably be pushing a broom or making lattes at Starbucks. I simply do not trust someone else to do my work for me. I've been made fun of by some for my moral compass- if I feel something is wrong, then it's wrong. Either you have a strong sense of morals, principles, and ethics, or you do not. These days, people are vilified for expressing their beliefs- you are unflexible, narrow minded, bigoted- simply for not yielding to the latest agenda. Political correctness has run amok and I think it has a lot to do with the state of our country. So be it- I am what I am.

There simply seems to be a lack of pride and a poor work ethic for too many people. As was noted above, we have become an entitlement society-too many feel they deserve something without putting forth the effort to do it- whether it be a job, a promotion, a grade, or even health insurance (sorry, I couldn't resist).

We all need to make decisions about things like this, and every day we are faced with moral dilemmas, big and small.

There is an appropriate quote here. I've seen it used in countless contexts but I heard it in a management class:

I have seen the saying attributed to several authors and I am paraphrasing here, but you'll get the idea:

Integrity is how you behave when nobody is looking.

There's too much focus on 'instant gratification'. Unfortunately it doesn't exist. If there's something you want to accomplish, then be prepared to WORK for it!

It's funny you use these words. Twenty years ago, when my daughter first started school, the school was instilling some new programs. The first is writing phonetically and the other was 'using technology - being able to find the answer'. The first created a very poor speller in my child because instead of learning how to spell, she just learned to spell as she heard the word. I don't think the school took in to consideration this little thing called, "Texas drawl".

As to the other part - the impression I got was that kids didn't need to know what 2+2 is or what year Columbus sailed the ocean blue...but rather have the ability to get the answer. Hmmm...I think I get it now.

Why look them up online, I have a genuine FEMA ICS Municipal EMC Test Answer Key in the desk drawer. I'm sure that I could help you correct your test.

Actually, no, I would never do that. I'm pretty sure that it would be a violation of some federal law.

Why look them up online, I have a genuine FEMA ICS Municipal EMC Test Answer Key in the desk drawer. I'm sure that I could help you correct your test.

Actually, no, I would never do that. I'm pretty sure that it would be a violation of some federal law.

It'll sure have FEMA not let you do their courses no more :P I saw that warning on ICS 100,200, and 700

I dont think I can improve on the opinions expressed here on cheating on tests. What I would coment on is that to many Emergencey responders take ICS as a joke.

NIMS is a management technique very similar to systems used to manage big corporations. ICS got its start with FIRESCOPE after California got tired of killing off people with bad management practices. It is know adopted in whole in 19 states and in part in many more. To many managers see this as a invasion of there sovereign domain and will only give it lip service or blatantly ignore it. Did I mention it was mandated by presidential executive order. Any agencies not complying is not eligible for federal funding. Having a common command structure so that we can all work from the same sheet of music can unquestionably be of great help for the next "Katrina" or "911".

• Like 1

What compells people to cheat is beyond me. I agree with lone, but what people fail to remember is that 'rights' mean responsibilies.

I also know a number of people who have done very well in practicals etc, but when they are confronted with an exam, they are unable to do it. Has this compelled them to cheat? Not the ones I know, it gave them more determination to suceed.

The notion that by cheating as was described is really only going to prove that the person is a liar & a cheat in the long run. If I cheat on an EMS exam & get licenced etc & once I start working show a complete & utter lack of knowledge, who is going to suffer? The patient & the reputation of the entire profession. Most of all the one person that has been cheated is themselves. Ultimatley, if they need to cheat for the answers, they will try to cheat their entire lives, & that is a life of deception.