Self Defense

23 members have voted

1. 1. What type of training have you had?

• Full (8+ hour) training by LEO or professional instructors
    • Partial ( < 8 hour) training by LEO or professional instructiors
    • In-house training by in-house instructors
    • Training during state EMS certification class
    • Self training (Martial arts, public defense class, ect)
    • No training

As far as I know, and can remember.. being a "black belt" or equivalent in your style of training, labels you a "lethal weapon". At least in Pennsylvania it does. So, does that mean I am not allowed to ride the ambulance? No weapons right?

As far as self defense, I feel everyone should receive training. At the very least, how to disarm a subject and give yourself enough time to GTFO. In my home town, of 7,000 people or so.. most of which are elderly.. there are 2 martial arts training studios. So, trained people are around to give instruction. In bigger areas, they are all over the place. Lots of them offer classes just on self defense, geared to females. I am sure a phone call can set-up private training once a month in station or at school for instruction. Is once a month enough? No, probably not. It is better than nothing though.

Many might argue that you should just have PD there. PD isn't always available, and often they are not needed in initial response. Many times the scene is safe, then it becomes unsafe. THIS is where we need to learn to protect ourselves. We are taught to leave openings for escape, but many times it's not an option or just not possible.

I would rather have a fighting chance, than none at all. Basic training is better than nothing. Continued basic training will mean more advanced training. A hurt provider is no good!

Many times the scene is safe, then it becomes unsafe.

Quoted for profundity.

This is exactly what gets most personnel injured. And it's why the whole idea of putting on a vest when you think you'll need it is so retarded.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.