Self Defense

23 members have voted

1. 1. What type of training have you had?

• Full (8+ hour) training by LEO or professional instructors
    • Partial ( < 8 hour) training by LEO or professional instructiors
    • In-house training by in-house instructors
    • Training during state EMS certification class
    • Self training (Martial arts, public defense class, ect)
    • No training

I've been doing various forms of martial arts sicne I was in Elementary with only a recent few year break (now that I'm done moving I need to look for a dojo again). I also have had unarmed security training, which doesn't help much but I'll take anything.

I really want to buy my daughter a gun, but I think 21 is the age for CHL in Texas.

There is an exception for military personnel. Solution: Get her to join the National Guard. Not only will they help pay for her college, as well as giving her some valuable career training and life experience, but she'll then be eligible for a CHL.

I think Dust has a valid point. A onetime class is a drop in the bucket.

I have had the continual training, but know that I would be extremely cautious using any of the techniques.

We have the option of calling LEO. But short of "Shots Fired", an actual response is slow at best.

Not to mention. Actual training of this sort requires providers to be at some sort of fitness level.

Perhaps we should tackle that first? But that is just my opinion.

Agreed 100%

I have been practicing martial arts for a long time. I do it for the flexibility, strength, reflexes, mental, emotional and physical challenge... it also gives me the confidence to face situations, knowing that I have skills to defend myself, my partner and my patients.

I did not get into this business to hurt people. I find that 99% of the time, the ability to assess a situation and people and quiet, respectful confidence disarm most violent confrontations. If the situation becomes violent, then I have screwed up. I missed or misinterpreted something.

If the situation becomes violent, my first recourse is escape - for me and anyone else in harms way. I don't have to prove anything to anyone. I firmly believe that I cannot hurt another person without hurting myself. Physical self defense is the very last resort.

I am very uncomfortable with macho men taking an 8 hour course and then going out loaded for bear. Decades of martial arts training makes me more and more peaceful and non-violent. Only an idiot would think that 8 hours of self defense training equips you to do clipboard therapy.

There is an exception for military personnel. Solution: Get her to join the National Guard. Not only will they help pay for her college, as well as giving her some valuable career training and life experience, but she'll then be eligible for a CHL.

Great idea! Last night we were discussing strategies to pay for her to go to Sam Houston. I brought up going into the military. Didn't even think of Nat. Guard. Thanks Dust.

You're kidding, right? Decades of martial arts practice -- literally devoting a lifetime to it -- is less worthy than a one day merit-badge for a few moves that you will never commit to muscle memory? Nigga puhleeze.

The problem with so-called self-defence training is the same problem that exists with EMS training. People think that a short time spent learning a few "skills" is an education. It isn't. It's just enough to get you or someone else really badly hurt. Most every self-defence seminar I have ever seen was a total waste of time, and was sometimes even counterproductive. I don't care how awesome the instructor is, you cannot teach anything of long term use in 8 hours.

I have a black belt in a mixed style of martial arts. Also I did kickboxing for a long time. If someone were to attack me, I wouldn't remember much of any of the training. It's something you have to keep up with and practice all the time. A short instructional class won't do you any good. So, I agree with you 100% on this one.

I thought that through before I posted it belive it or not.

I'll let you guys with a little more years school me here, but this was my reasoning:

If you end up getting in a liabilty situation that ends up going to a trial (I know its unlikely in the plea bargin days) the panel of 12 under educated people in the situation at hand would look more favorably on the framed certficate rather than just saying "I took 3 years of judo." Also with the certificate many outside training companys will offer their services for trial if you are going by what they taught.

That was my rational about putting an outside 2 day plus course above martial arts.

I think Dust has a valid point. A onetime class is a drop in the bucket.

I have had the continual training, but know that I would be extremely cautious using any of the techniques.

We have the option of calling LEO. But short of "Shots Fired", an actual response is slow at best.

Not to mention. Actual training of this sort requires providers to be at some sort of fitness level.

Perhaps we should tackle that first? But that is just my opinion.

If you end up getting in a liabilty situation that ends up going to a trial (I know its unlikely in the plea bargin days) the panel of 12 under educated people in the situation at hand would look more favorably on the framed certficate rather than just saying "I took 3 years of judo."

I think you are better off admitting neither of them, if it comes to a legal situation. If you have no training, and your employer did not ensure that you were adequately trained and prepared, then you lose all liability, and it all goes to your employer. But once you are "certified", you are now the one responsible for intelligent, safe, and competent use of the skills you were taught.

Like CrapMagnet and FireMedic65, I have a lot of years in the martial arts, with a belt and a few certificates and trophies to show for it. But you won't see me mouthing off about it in a legal deposition. You don't want to say anything that changes your status from victim to aggressor in the minds of the legal system or jury.

I think you should change "self training" to "professional training" or something similar.

Taking certain martial art classes could prove to be very valuable in case of an altercation on duty. Certainly we all realize that Karate won't do much good in the back of an ambulance. Also, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu won't much good outside of the ambulance with several angry people waiting to stomp your head in if you were to take someone to the ground.

LEO training is based off several things; Hapkido, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Akido, Judo, and a mix of other tricks that are proven to work but loosely based of a martial art of some type. But unless you practice these moves several times, get your timing down and muscle memory down, and being able to recognize different options during an altercation - you're left with your own survival skills.

Personally, when I was in paramedic class I joined a gym and began taking Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I was concerned with not being able to defend myself or subdue someone if I was ever in that event (I was 5'9 165lbs then) Fortunately, we shared the space with a boxing club and my instructor also enjoyed and made us practice kick-boxing, muay thai, and boxing so I was exposed to striking as well as grappling. I enrolled back into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in December and for being 8 years older, heavier, and out of shape; it's been murder! I don't do it for self-defense, I do it because I truly love the sport and the fitness aspect of it.

Bottom line - training is great but common sense and instinct will serve you best by not getting into a dangerous situation.

If you have no training, and your employer did not ensure that you were adequately trained and prepared, then you lose all liability, and it all goes to your employer. But once you are "certified", you are now the one responsible for intelligent, safe, and competent use of the skills you were taught.

I agree with you Dust, but from research I know that reputable training companies will send legal defense / expert witnesses for your defense assuming you have kept current on CE and followed your training.

When you go the self-sought/agency made up method you are less likely to have that legal defense.

Neither one of us are lawyers and this should not be taken as expert legal advice.

I think you should change "self training" to "professional training" or something similar.

I wanted to make the distinction between professional training, from a training company or certified instructors in the medical field, and training you have sought out on your own away from EMS. Those that take on martial arts as a sport/hobby or the women that take self defense classes that police departments sponsor, that type of thing.

Would someone translate CSL?

Off the job, Lady J and I were jumped in the stairwell of her then apartment building, by 2 persons with some kind of handguns. The way we were "gotten", if either of us had had a gun, the bad guys would have gotten additional weaponry for a future mugging, and as I was wearing a LEO type jacket with my VAC patches on it, I could have been shot.

We both got off lucky that we survived unhurt, if in need of a change of underwear.

Lady J and her family shortly thereafter moved to a different neighborhood, and she started taking the ShoGoTan Karate, and is now a Purple Belt in that martial art.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.