Self Defense

23 members have voted

1. 1. What type of training have you had?

• Full (8+ hour) training by LEO or professional instructors
    • Partial ( < 8 hour) training by LEO or professional instructiors
    • In-house training by in-house instructors
    • Training during state EMS certification class
    • Self training (Martial arts, public defense class, ect)
    • No training

For purposes of this poll, choose the higest level only, and consider Professional 8+ higher than self learned martial arts.

There has been talk of incidents lately where providers are being attacked and defending themselves, some turn out better than others.

What type of training have you had in self-defense? What type of training do you think EMS providers SHOULD have? What would you look for in a self defense course?

Discuss.

...consider Professional 8+ higher than self learned martial arts.

You're kidding, right? Decades of martial arts practice -- literally devoting a lifetime to it -- is less worthy than a one day merit-badge for a few moves that you will never commit to muscle memory? Nigga puhleeze.

The problem with so-called self-defence training is the same problem that exists with EMS training. People think that a short time spent learning a few "skills" is an education. It isn't. It's just enough to get you or someone else really badly hurt. Most every self-defence seminar I have ever seen was a total waste of time, and was sometimes even counterproductive. I don't care how awesome the instructor is, you cannot teach anything of long term use in 8 hours.

I, for one, think that it would serve us well to go through a little self-defense training. Maybe something like what police academy students go through. We also should be allowed to carry pepper spray or a taser. I worked, for a period of time, in one of the worst parts of a major metropolitan area. The system was set up for police to respond with us on almost all calls, but several times we were instructed by our dispatchers to advise if PD was needed upon our arrival. Well, if PD is needed, after our arrival is not the ideal time. I've been fortunate in all my years of EMS, to not have had to get seriously ugly with a patient or their family/friends. It only takes that one time, though. Having a knowledge of how to react in self-defense can go a long way in giving a person a skill set to defend themselves, provide self-confidence, and to protecting the patient should you have to defend yourself.

As for learning something once that you'll never remember...I have to disagree here. We learn things throughout life that we may only be exposed to once in awhile. How many time does a provider do a trach in the field. Sure, it happens, but realistically, how often? Still, they teach us so that in that one time we have a knowledge of it. I'm just saying...an initial class with an annual refresher would probably be sufficient in providing EMS a base for defending themselves.

I wanna be careful here to stress that we should always remember that violence is NOT our job. We should defer to law enforcement whenever possible, but sometimes, law enforcement is not there.

Have a great day guys.

I remember we spent a day on it (>8 hrs I believe) in medic school. As I recall the mix was about 90% "how to avoid these situations and maximize your safety," and maybe 10% involving actual "self defense." It seems to me then as it does now that 9/1 was probably the appropriate ratio.

Had a class put on for senior girls in high school one Sat, didn't get much out of that. But I've completed 2 rounds of Army CQC courses. That's fun stuff.

Sorry, CQC = close quarters combat

Edited by maverick56

You're kidding, right? Decades of martial arts practice -- literally devoting a lifetime to it -- is less worthy than a one day merit-badge for a few moves that you will never commit to muscle memory? Nigga puhleeze.

The problem with so-called self-defence training is the same problem that exists with EMS training. People think that a short time spent learning a few "skills" is an education. It isn't. It's just enough to get you or someone else really badly hurt. Most every self-defence seminar I have ever seen was a total waste of time, and was sometimes even counterproductive. I don't care how awesome the instructor is, you cannot teach anything of long term use in 8 hours.

I have a black belt in a mixed style of martial arts. Also I did kickboxing for a long time. If someone were to attack me, I wouldn't remember much of any of the training. It's something you have to keep up with and practice all the time. A short instructional class won't do you any good. So, I agree with you 100% on this one.

My girlfriend is into Shogotan (spelling?) Karate, but her Sensei (instructor) knows I follow the oldest form of self defense known to man:

Feet, don't fail me now!

Seriously, some instruction on avoiding situations is all I have had, but sometimes when my "spidey sense" kicks in, I call for the LEOs, on precaution. So far, they've turned out not to be needed. They have laughed at me, but understand why I requested them.

I think Dust has a valid point. A onetime class is a drop in the bucket.

I have had the continual training, but know that I would be extremely cautious using any of the techniques.

We have the option of calling LEO. But short of "Shots Fired", an actual response is slow at best.

Not to mention. Actual training of this sort requires providers to be at some sort of fitness level.

Perhaps we should tackle that first? But that is just my opinion.

I recently began taking a class with my daughter. She'll be going off to college soon, and I wanted her to have a little self-defense know-how. The instructor told us that we'd have to do about a thousand reps to get the moves into muscle memory, and then do them frequently after that. The stuff we are learning is awesome, perfect for a soft & slow dad. It's not meant for extended altercations, but to end it in about 30 seconds or less. Its a mix of martial arts moves that the instructor came up with. I really want to buy my daughter a gun, but I think 21 is the age for CHL in Texas. Might have to settle for a taser, definitely a knife. She's learning situational awareness, de-escalation, and common sense measures to take to avoid dangerous situations. I've been able to tell her about patients I've taken care of who would have avoided injury with more awareness of their surroundings.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.