HEMS down in TN

News article

RIP to the crew. Thoughts go out to the families

SOLMourning-1.jpg

Very sorry to hear this. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the crews on rotary and fixed wing ambulances. They take some of our most critical patients at great personal risk. My heart goes out to friends and family effected.
  • Like 1

Another service turned this run down due to weather. That is not going to bode well for the pilot's culpability here.

• Like 1

Another service turned this run down due to weather. That is not going to bode well for the pilot's culpability here.

We had a med-helo accident in 2005 a few blocks from my house. That was also a run that was turned down. The service afterward now asks on if any other services have turned down the flight. One of the many changes they made.

None the less, peace to the crew families.

None the less, peace to the crew families.

Word. Hopefully their loss will further the cause of aeromedical safety.

Fly high, Brothers and Sisters.

Unfortunately another case of chopper shopping.

NOTE TO EMT CITY members. If one service turns you down, just take the patient by ground. SAFER in the long run. This proves it.

I think we over utilize helicopters anyway.

The quasi-provincial service, for all their reported internal problems right now, approves a call based on weather first. When a request is received by the communications centre, they get the location and then go check the weather. Only when the call is approved to fly do they receive the clinical information.

As a rule too most of the pilots don't want to know anything about the patient; to the extent that they often put a tarp up between the pilots' seats and the patient compartment, so that they will focus only on flying safely.

No chopper shopping here. The service does have contracted providers they use if they can't take the call, but the decision and assignment all goes through the one communications centre.

Edited by docharris

It breaks my heart to hear about another HEMS crash. This one seems to have been an unnecessary risk that was taken by this crew. When will this stop? Soon I hope..

Everyone stay safe!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.