What next ?

tniuqs

Ok, with all the talk on this site of us wanting to be professional and considered professionals and these yahoos do this and we are defending them.

I'm sorry, taking stupid pictures of yourself and then posting them online is the height of "professionalism" if you ask me.

If we are going to tout professionalism on this site then we need to be consistent in our stance.

Am I the only one who sees a discrepancy here?

I'm sorry, taking stupid pictures of yourself and then posting them online is the height of "professionalism" if you ask me.

Yes... because professionals hand in their sense of humour.

I'm with you for the most part, but let's not overstate the case. Being a professional does not preclude joking around.

That doesn't mean that these particular EMT's were in the right, I didn't see their photos and I don't know the P&P of their employer.

• Like 2

I as an office manager have seen the effects of over abuse of computers during working hrs. I am paying you to work not play on FB or down load your music so that I have to pay for the overages. So my solution was to block may sites, make policy that says you use the internet after 4:00 pm for personal use and make sure that my staff know that our IT guy will have total access to all pass words and he will be able to check what is on your work computer at any time.

With that being said I dont give a crap at what you post on any site any where in the internet world. If you want to show the world that you are an idiot, have a sense of humor (and yes I do) or just want to be on the internet then go for it, but be very aware that if the policy isnt there to say you can do all of the above in your uniform or in your ambulance then you cant cry when your fired

Hey guys, this is Franco Colon. Found this because I decided to Google myself. I just wanted to clarify some things.

Big Brother is watching.

WORD!

Franco ... firstly welcome to EMT city.

First off I believe you 100%.

Secondly I believe some on this website owe you an apology.

This momentary lapse of judgement and as if we ALL are not guilty of this at one point in our careers ... Hell I know I have, but I believe that it is part of being farking HUMAN BEINGS. But following this downward trend proves 2 things:

1: Big Sister is watching ... BITCH and this is not the first time news groveling reporters destroy lives .. DUH.

2: We still eat our young just when will WE grow up as a profession ?

Thoughts .... or does anyone know of an employer that stands up for the employee and is looking for a stand up EMT ?

Edited by tniuqs
  • Like 3

1st no apology as 1. No proof he is who he claims. 2. No proof he is telling the truth if he is who he claims, just his word vs someone else's word, odds are truth is more in the middle.

2nd we should learn from this, even if it is true what he said, and avoid certain actions and sites. Never post anything that identifies you being at work or even who you work for. Most companies do have policies against doing anything that reflects on the company. So in this case even by what is written by misspelled name person claiming to be the individual in question you could tell they were in an ambulance and so everyone that knows this person would associate his actions with his service even if no service name were seen.

If you are the person I hope you learn and move forward.

• Like 3

1st no apology as 1.

No proof he is who he claims.

2. No proof he is telling the truth if he is who he claims, just his word vs someone else's word, odds are truth is more in the middle.

2nd we should learn from this, even if it is true what he said, and avoid certain actions and sites. Never post anything that identifies you being at work or even who you work for.

Most companies do have policies against doing anything that reflects on the company.

So in this case even by what is written by misspelled name person claiming to be the individual in question

If you are the person I hope you learn and move forward.

Some days I have to shake my head in disbelief.

Edited by tniuqs
  • Like 2

Ok, Kudos for Franco to come here with hat in hand.

I won't apologize for what I said because I believe in my heart that professionalism does not include taking pictures of yourself in company garb and then posting it to flickr or facebook.

I also believe that in order for us to be professional we need to take this social networking seriously and remember Just like what is happening to Franco, if you post something it is forever.

What I do find to be a good thing is Franco setting the record straight. I'm not going to jump to any conclusion and you will find that I have been consistent in my criticism on this site that people jump the gun and go straight to the lynching. I don't believe I did that. If there were policies broken then the consequences have to be accepted. I know they are grey according to Franco but seriously, discipline should be the same across the board. Each and every person working at your company should know and expect that if a certain policy is broken then XYZ is what happens, EVERY SINGLE TIME. This way there are no pissing and moaning when you get fired.

I do wish you luck out there Franco. Sounds like you are a good guy. You can fight this, you can fight it just to force the company to either rewrite these gray policies or to try to force the company to apply the discipline across the board, consistently to each person and not just on a person by person basis.

One thing that I do have a question is this, you specifically stated that no-one other than you, your partner and the reporter has seen the pics but then you went on to say that your friends don't see the big deal. This is the only part of your story that I find troubling.

Since I believe New York is a right to work state then they can fire you for any reason. Sucks but remember, you can also fire that company for any reason. They don't have to give you 2 weeks, nor do you have to give them 2 weeks.

I do wish you luck.

Edited by Ruffems

Wow lots of jerks giving negatives for expressing valid concerns. :shutup:

Sadly we all should understand what ever we post can come back to harm us. We have seen this for years in discussions about what medics have posted on space book or my face etc. We have discussed the consequences of what we post on our chances of getting jobs. So sorry that I am not sympathetic. :warning:

• Like 2

Arrrghhhh.....

This is conflicting. As I agree with FireMedic, I know that our "senses of humor" and practical jokes can be off color to the outside eye, (part of what makes our PROFESSION unique), I feel it is very necessary.

The fact that it was done in public, is where I have scrupples.

Franco-Glad to have you. Funny as it may have been. Sorry for ya.

I guess that's is why it is nice to have a station to retreat to.

On a seperate note. Our management has been known to google names and search facebook looking for comments about out service and hospital. It is what it is...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.