Body Armor / Ballistic Protection

Do you where a bullet proof vest at work?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear body armor at work? (answer multiple lines please)

• Yes - Department provided
    • Yes - Self bought
    • No
    • Wish I had money for one
    • Threat Level I
    • Threat Level II
    • Threat Level III
    • Second Chance Brand
    • Safariland
    • Galls Brand
    • Point Blank
    • American Body Armor
    • First Choice
    • Other brand
    • I work mostly InnerCity EMS
    • I work mostly Rural EMS

FDNY EMS offers vests in an "under the shirt" configuration, but allows us, at our own expense, an "over the uniform" "carrier". EVERYONE is offered the vest, but have to sign a release if they decline having a vest assigned them.

I have the extra carrier, and have used it primarily at scenes where we are advised that shots may be fired, like "Warrant Service" standby's (use the search feature on Tactical EMS in or with SWAT responses).

Mike, I find it interesting that you are so pro-vest, but so anti-helmet!

Yeah its a IIIa and as far as the helmet you got me...Yes I consider safety #1 priority but I still stand strong against the helmet..I have pretty hair and don't want to mess it up...yeah thats the story I am sticking to...I have pretty hair!!

They need to sell that technology! Theres alot of people who are trying to find that! Just like fireproof bunker gear.

That is true. Have you ever read the glass at the local stop and rob it says usually in a corner bullet resistant glass.

That is true. Have you ever read the glass at the local stop and rob it says usually in a corner bullet resistant glass.

They don't glass them up around here. They don't mind being robbed I guess. LOL.

I have a vest that I was required to purchase for school, that I now keep in my locker at work. There is a certain reserve here that I wear it too all the time, but its also the reserve that has large amounts of RCMP on it every 4 months or so

Yeah its a IIIa and as far as the helmet you got me...Yes I consider safety #1 priority but I still stand strong against the helmet..I have pretty hair and don't want to mess it up...yeah thats the story I am sticking to...I have pretty hair!!

That's funny...rolleyes.gif .

The fact is that even newer helmets like the ACH or MICH helmets are not rated for "Direct Bullet Penetration Protecion", and are good for shrapnel at best.

Now, I have no supporting documentation for this, but I know it is out there.....I prefer my baseball hat anyday.

That's funny...rolleyes.gif .

The fact is that even newer helmets like the ACH or MICH helmets are not rated for "Direct Bullet Penetration Protecion", and are good for shrapnel at best.

Now, I have no supporting documentation for this, but I know it is out there.....I prefer my baseball hat anyday.

I think what they're talking about is a thread a while back about wearing a helmet while working the back of a bus.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.