Differences between PCP and EMT-A B.C & Alberta only.

I have goggled this topic and haven't really found what I am looking for, I have decided to train in Alberta due to the delay in practicum placement and JI's training backlog of future Primary Care Paramedics. Would it be possible to have a Licensed Primary Care Paramedic (British Columbia) and a Licensed Emergency Medical Technician (Alberta) currently working in urban settings to list their protocols they were licensed and trained to use (drug administration, airway management, cardiac monitoring etc...) for comparison. The schools I have contacted all list the course as EMT/PCP knowing full well there are differences none have given me an honest comparison. I would like to come back to BC once I am done my training and Licensing in Alberta, what concerns me is that my training will not be recognized and I will have to redo some or all of it. I apologizes if this topic has already been covered my search has found some posting but they were not very detailed I have called ACP and EMA both not very helpful referred me to their websites. I did manage to find a protocol listing on the EMA website not sure how up to date it is.

thank you,

Andy.

They're pretty much the same. In BC the only extra drugs are naloxone, and possibly benadryl too, as part of your protocols. In Alberta, they are trained on some supraglottic airways like the Combitube and King airways. You also get a crash course in 3-lead ECG interpretation in Alberta programs. I think Alberta EMTs also give D50 instead of D10. Minor differences and your license should be transferrable to either province anyway, so you can choose a school in either province. Hope that helps and good luck.

I have posted a link so you can look up the 'scope of practice' for Alberta EMT's. As for 'protocols' (different than scope depending on medical director), those differ from service to service.

http://www.collegeof...ofpractice.aspx

As for reciprocity coming into Alberta, here is another link:

http://www.collegeofparamedics.org/pages/Registration/equivalency.aspx

If you need further clarification, feel free to message me.

I have goggled this topic and haven't really found what I am looking for, I have decided to train in Alberta due to the delay in practicum placement and JI's training backlog of future Primary Care Paramedics. Would it be possible to have a Licensed Primary Care Paramedic (British Columbia) and a Licensed Emergency Medical Technician (Alberta) currently working in urban settings to list their protocols they were licensed and trained to use (drug administration, airway management, cardiac monitoring etc...) for comparison. The schools I have contacted all list the course as EMT/PCP knowing full well there are differences none have given me an honest comparison. I would like to come back to BC once I am done my training and Licensing in Alberta, what concerns me is that my training will not be recognized and I will have to redo some or all of it. I apologizes if this topic has already been covered my search has found some posting but they were not very detailed I have called ACP and EMA both not very helpful referred me to their websites. I did manage to find a protocol listing on the EMA website not sure how up to date it is.

thank you,

Andy.

Overall BC PCP's carry more drugs and Alta. EMT-A's are allowed to perform more procedures. The reason schools are listing programs as EMT/PCP is that most quality programs are accredited by the Canadian Medical Association to the PCP National Occupational Competency Profile as set forth by the Paramedic Association of Canada. If you attend a CMA accredited program it will cover all of the medications etc. used in BC aswell as all additional procedures performed in Alberta. You will be able to obtain a BC PCP license through AIT though it may take a little longer than it would if you attended a PCP program in BC.

My understanding is that training for the EMT in Alberta can be less than PCP in BC.

You should consult the PAC AIT tool to see what you'd need ... but I have already done that for you.

1. Professional Responsibilities

1.2 Participate in continuing education

1.2.B Self-evaluate and set goals for improvement, as related to professional practice

1.2.C Interpret evidence in medical literature and asses relevance to practice

4. Assessment And Diagnostics

4.1 Conduct triage

4.1.B Assume different roles in a mass casualty incident

4.3 Conduct complete physical assessment demonstrating appropriate use of inspection, palpation, percuss

4.3.M Conduct assessment of the eyes, ears, nose and throat and interpret findings

4.4 Assess vital signs

4.4.C Conduct non-invasive temperature monitoring

5. Therapeutics

5.5 Implement measures to maintain hemodynamic stabili

5.5.O Provide routine care for patient with urinary catheter

5.8 Administer medications

5.8.C Administer medication via subcutaneous route

5.8.H Administer medication via sublingual route

5.8.J Administer medication via oral route

6. Integration

6.1 Utilize differential diagnosis skills, decision-making skills and psychomotor skills in providing ca

6.1.F Provide care to patient experiencing illness or injury primarily involving integumentary system

6.1.J Provide care to patient experiencing illness or injury primarily involving the eyes, ears, nose or throat

7. Transportation

7.2 Drive ambulance or similar type vehicle

7.2.A Utilize defensive driving techniques

7.2.B Utlizie safe emergency driving techniques

7.2.C Drive in a manner that ensures patient comfort and safe environment for all passengers

7.3 Transfer patient to air ambulance

7.3.B Safely approach stationary rotary-wing aircraft

7.3.C Safely approach stationary fixed-wing aircraft

7.4 Transport patient in air ambulance

http://www.paramedic.ca/AITTool.aspx

My understanding is that training for the EMT in Alberta can be less than PCP in BC.

You should consult the PAC AIT tool to see what you'd need ... but I have already done that for you.

http://www.paramedic.ca/AITTool.aspx

Most of what you copied and pasted is incorrect. But as we all know, you've never worked in either province and don't have this "information" first hand, from someone (like myself) who actually works in Alberta :) I'm not entirely sure if you read this information before you posted either ... Please feel free to take a few minutes to review the sillyness of some of what you posted. Heck, try and reverse the little 'reciprocity calculator' and go BC to Alberta.

All of those 'additional competencies' that you posted are things that we in Alberta are trained to do through the EMT course itself, or the supplemental courses provided with the EMT course such as NAPD or EVOC, to name a couple.

For those looking for information regarding scope of practice and working in a particular area, you should consult someone from that area.

"Consult the provincial regulators for final decisions regarding practice." Please do, as there are several errors in this 'calculator'.

Edited by Siffaliss
  • Like 1

Good try Kiwi but the AIT tool is in serious need of an update.

Medications allowed in BC but not Alberta at the PCP-IV level include Diphenhydramine, Thiamine (B1), and Naloxone. The sole medication allowed in Alberta but not BC at the EMT-A level is Ipratropium Bromide (Atrovent). Airway adjuncts allowed in Alberta at the EMT-A level but not allowed in BC include supraglottic airways and nasopharyngeal airways. The other procedures within the Alta. EMT-A SOP not within the standard BC PCP-IV SOP are 3-lead cardiac monitoring and end-tidal CO2 monitoring.

In BC we use D10W with a Thiamine push for hypoglaecemic patients vs using D50W in Alberta. The reason I say it will be possible to transfer over having taken a CMA accredited program is that the NOCPs to which programs are accredited include everything in both the EMT-A SOP and the PCP-IV SOP. The real treat for me now, being registered/licensed in both provinces, is remembering what I'm allowed to do on what side of the border (can you say national licensing/registration body desperately needed).

The more important question right now for the original poster is "Are you sure you want to go back to BC given the current situation?" I went through AIT and registered as an EMT-A in Alberta so that I could attend the EMT-P/ACP program at SAIT in Calgary. Frankly I'm not sure I will be going back to BC 2 years from now when I finish.

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my question excellent information and answered all of my questions.

thank you so much,

Andy. :)

Not a problem. If you need the contact information for EMA licensing just PM me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.