helmet in ems

What do we really need the squad bench for anyway? All that's underneath mine is a prybar, axe, small toolset, rope, jackstand, traffic triangles, bedpan and poorly located sharps container.

We use it to carry our second or third or fourth patient. One on the cot, 1 or 2 from roof hooks, and one on the squad bench.

Helo flight crews yes, fixed wing no. Helo crews also wear nomex suits with minimal skin exposed (no rolling of sleeves)...how far do we wish to go?

Exactly ...

RickBob, please clarify if you are referring to helmets as part of outerwear protective gear, say, for use where stuff might fall on you, or as also mentioned here, in moving ambulances as additional protection to the crew, like seat belt usage, and air bags. Thanks.

That would be nice ...

• Like 2

Yes, I am refering to wear a helmemt in the back of an ambulance during transports. There are 500,000 + ambulances in the US. Approximatly 9000 MVC involving ambulancesa year.10 serious injures a day involving ambulance MVC's and ONE FATAL INJURY EACH WEEK IN VOLVING AMBULANCE MVC. Yes designg a safer ambulance is a start in the right direction. But the number 1 cause of those fatilites were blunt force head trauma. So this issue of safety in ambulances is going to have to be a mutli teir effort. Do you realize there is more regulations involving the transportation of cattle than there is transporting of patients. My god in 2009 there were 9 fatal ems heliocopter crashes. In whiich the NTSB convien hearings, the FAA held hearings. ANd there were US senate hearing are what can be done to reduce the amount of helio crashes. But in that same year there were 52 falities involving ambulance MVC and there was nothing done.

• Like 1

Yes, I am refering to wear a helmemt in the back of an ambulance during transports. There are 500,000 + ambulances in the US. Approximatly 9000 MVC involving ambulancesa year.10 serious injures a day involving ambulance MVC's and ONE FATAL INJURY EACH WEEK IN VOLVING AMBULANCE MVC. Yes designg a safer ambulance is a start in the right direction. But the number 1 cause of those fatilites were blunt force head trauma. So this issue of safety in ambulances is going to have to be a mutli teir effort. Do you realize there is more regulations involving the transportation of cattle than there is transporting of patients. My god in 2009 there were 9 fatal ems heliocopter crashes. In whiich the NTSB convien hearings, the FAA held hearings. ANd there were US senate hearing are what can be done to reduce the amount of helio crashes. But in that same year there were 52 falities involving ambulance MVC and there was nothing done.

If you are gonna provide stats, provide ALL stats.

Of the 1 fatal injury each week, how many were the ambulance personnel? How many were the driver or the attendant? How many were not part of the 2 man crew?

Out of 52 fatalities involving ambulances annually, again how many were drivers versus attendants in back? How many were not even on a call but RESPONDING to a call? And saying the #1 cause out of 52 cases means it could have been 25 head injuries and the rest were miscellaneous of various categories. Heck, depending on the categories used, it actually could have been less than 25 cases.

Please provide ALL factual data to make a case and leave the drama/emotion out of it.

Edit: Forgot to break it down further...

Now tell me how many ambulance calls are performed annually. Then work the percentage of these fatal incidents versus the big picture. Not so dramatic anymore is it...especially when the risk is statistically low...extremely low.

Please spare the "if we save just one life" speech as well please.

If you are gonna provide stats, provide ALL stats.

Of the 1 fatal injury each week, how many were the ambulance personnel? How many were the driver or the attendant? How many were not part of the 2 man crew?

Out of 52 fatalities involving ambulances annually, again how many were drivers versus attendants in back? How many were not even on a call but RESPONDING to a call? And saying the #1 cause out of 52 cases means it could have been 25 head injuries and the rest were miscellaneous of various categories. Heck, depending on the categories used, it actually could have been less than 25 cases.

Please provide ALL factual data to make a case and leave the drama/emotion out of it.

Edit: Forgot to break it down further...

Now tell me how many ambulance calls are performed annually. Then work the percentage of these fatal incidents versus the big picture. Not so dramatic anymore is it...especially when the risk is statistically low...extremely low.

Please spare the "if we save just one life" speech as well please.

What AK said. You also need to provide your source (as specific as you can) along with posting the statistics to support the numbers you've just thrown out. Without a reliable source that others can check to verify the accuracy of your numbers, they're just numbers and they mean nothing.

-be safe

We use it to carry our second or third or fourth patient. One on the cot, 1 or 2 from roof hooks, and one on the squad bench.

Your ambulance is a Cadillac high-top? :turned:

• Like 1

We use it to carry ... 1 or 2 from roof hooks ....

Not restricting myself to the last model year of the Caddylance in 1980, I don't believe I have seen any roof hangers in any ambulances after 1980. That does not mean they no longer make them, just that I have not seen any. Outside the United States and Canada, does anybody use them for multiple patient transport or transfer on one trip?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.