helmet in ems

Helmets are required to be on the ambulance to be a licensed ambulance. Usually they are the plastic type firefighter helmets. You are also supposed to wear them at any type of scene where you should have it on, such as an MVC, structural collapse, entering a hot zone of a fire scene, etc etc. If you are injured and NOT wearing it.. insurance will not cover you, and your employer can be fined for it too I believe.

I believe the OP wants to know about something like a motocross helmet not a fire helmet. Something that would protect you if you are thrown when your idiot partner slams the breaks because they were not paying attention. Fire helmets are designed more if something falls on you not for an in motion crash.

HELMETS IN EMS....NO NO NO!!!

I do agree with wearing an approved OSHA and/or NFPA helmet for fire scenes, MVA Extrications (if in the car), or special rescue situations but to wear a helmet in the ambulance when driving and/or doing patient care...ahhhhhh no.

The helmet idea is somewhat of a good thought but come on folks really...think about it.

If you properly secure your gear (monitor/O2 bottle etc...) and wear a seatbelt your safety will be as best as can be according the the US Ambulance KKK specs (organization for ambulance safety/design).

Most injuries to ambulance attendants come from improper storage of EMS equipment when transporting.

Get into the habit of using the captain chair seatbelt to secure your monitor, use the bench seat seat belts to secure the airway bag with bottle in it.

I think before helmet are a thought we need to educate ourselves as we educate others to wear seatbelts....most injuried MOS (members of service) are found to be unbelted. Injuries mostly from loose gear....accidents happen and you never know when you'll be in one to wear a helmet can actually increase injury if it in NOT properly sized, maintained, and worn properly.

I think the KKK specs need to add more padding to walls, more catch nets at the end of the bench seat, and require seat belt harnesses in the back. Then they really need to look into the construction....um I never could figure out why they use pressboard with laminent over it then screw a 1/4 inch wood screw into it to hold a crappy nylon strap with cheap plastic buckles. These straps should be more of a reinforced connection to the car with seat belt type buckles.

Then there is the stretcher mount ummmmm.... 1950's technology for 90% of the ambulances on the road today. A trip hazard "Y" on the floor, I stupid hook at the rear of the doors to trip on because the yellow paint wore off and another crappy single pole with a stupid ball pin to lock the stretcher to the wall. The spec should be looked into and require atleast the center track system that can actually support the stretcher to maintain its position on the floor with patient on it should the ambulance roll over.

SO.....IN CLOSING

There are many more things that need to be corrected in ambulance to make it safer and by requiring helmets just is a false sense of security to the worker and a lame excuse for ambulance builders to skirt around safety issues that really need to be looked into.

Again just my opinion!!

Oh and where in England do they require helmets to be worn????

I have Friends and Family that work EMS in London...they don't wear them there as a requirment!

Edited by Medic One
  • Like 2

Hello,

I am looking into the idea of having crews wear a helmet in the the ambulance. Does any US agency use a helmet in a ambulance. I do know the are used in England, Germany, New Zeland and Hong Kong.

And I want to know where in Germany and NZ because I have a German employee who immigrated to New Zed and he says this is not the case in either place.

Hello,

I am looking into the idea of having crews wear a helmet in the the ambulance. Does any US agency use a helmet in a ambulance. I do know the are used in England, Germany, New Zeland and Hong Kong.

Here's how this comes across to me ...

"I want people to wear a helmet while travelling in the ambulance."

Am I correct? Or are you asking to have them on car for use only in situations that would require a helmet?

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.