TRAUMA - Episode 11, March 8

This must have been filmed before the hiatus, because I don't see any of the positive change that was promised by the creator.

The Good

No explosions.

At least Marisa is wearing her flight suit zipper lower.

The Bad

Bimbo still way too hyper.

Still too much medical speak.

Still too much indiscriminate HEMS use.

Still flying with only one medical crewmember.

Still too much off-duty fraternisation. Poker game? Puhleeze.

Still basics performing advanced procedures.

Rabbit allowing a LEO to pose as a medic = huge no-no.

HUGE dopamine dosage error.

The Ugly

With all the bad stuff Rabbit has pulled, and should have been fired and decertified for, it’s ironic that he gets busted for a situation where he was right. Although, that’s pretty typical of real EMS, so it’s certainly not inaccurate.

Rabbit’s response to Acting Captain Boone was good and earns respect.

Bimbo’s claustrophobic freak-out was very poorly portrayed. It is obvious they scripted it to facilitate her partner’s ALS aspirations, and not to realistically show a freak-out.

Edited by Dustdevil

This must have been filmed before the hiatus, because I don't see any of the positive change that was promised by the creator.

If this is the episode with the bank robbery, it was filmed before the hiatus. There were public announcements in Oakland, CA for the locals not to think the fake gunfire was an opportunity to join in for some real action.

Hehe... I remember you saying that now. So hopefully the new and improved episodes will still be better.

If memory serves me, they had a few filmed after announcing the hiatus. #11 must have been one of them.

Points of interest:

1) At the opening car crash, one of them actually said the driver was DRT, or "Dead Right There", in front of the family members also in the accident. Where I live, and probably where most of you live, too, that is a suspension without pay fer sure!

2) Ongoing complaint of allowing a patient to move their head while in a C-Collar, and not restrained to the long backboard.

3) There is debate on telling patients worst case scenarios when not trying to convince them of the need to be transported and seen at the ER.

4) If I heard them correctly, they did 10 assignments in as many hours, claim to be too tired to play Poker, yet all of them volunteer for overtime. We have ongoing debate on other strings as to how our personnel respond when overly tired, calling it akin to an alcoholic "buzz", so there is a chance the writers and producers are unaware of this.

5) I think Marisa is aware, or at least suspects, Rabbit and Nancy's romantic (?) involvement.

6) Glen and Nancy descend into the service pit without safety lines, as the Fire Fighter apparently also has done. Yield a point that the injury to the worker would not have happened in the first place if she had been wearing one.

7) It is my understanding that some Fire Fighters are generically nicknamed "Jake", but they never established if they were calling this FF "Jake" for that reason, or if the character's name actually was Jake.

8) Nancy, the refugee from the planet Kripton, due to her diagnostic X-Ray vision, met her kriptonite: She's Claustrophobic! And now, Glen knows her weakness.

9) Having the "hostage" actually being a part of the bank robbery team is kind of old formula drama, as it's been done so many times before.

10) Someone once accused me of delaying a response to set up the VCR (that person no longer seems to be a part of EMT City). Somehow, adrenaline junkie Rabbit delaying getting to the helicopter to grab a lawn chair, even for a character as nutty as he is, is out of character.

10-A) After the earlier scene where Marisa suspects the Rabbit/Nancy involvement, while she's putting her lunch into the refrigerator, did anyone note of Rabbit, while grabbing the lawn chair, did he at least bring Marisa's lunch along for her?

11) Why did Tyler want to check out the helicopter, and why in the middle of a Multiple Casualty Incident (again, where I live, a hostage situation qualifies as an MCI)? I mention that some years ago, my Lady J and I sat in the pilot seats of an NYPD helicopter, at the hanger, but before we did, I asked our guide if all power was off, in case we accidentally flipped any switches. Tyler was definitely "touching" switches, and Marisa was quite correct in ordering him out of the bird.

12) We have had a few strings on "Tactical EMT/Tactical Paramedic" training, for when incident "front line" care is needed. Does anybody know if the SFPD has any, or the FBI, to send into hostage situations, instead of "line" personnel like Rabbit? Actually, that was probably poetic licence, for purposes of advancing the drama in the show.

13) Either the FBI agent in charge knew of Rabbit's "Cowboy-ing", or got a good quick read on him.

14) Boone and Tyler were tripping over each other in the helicopter. Doesn't the SFFD have some training for when their personnel go up in a helicopter, so they'd have an idea where stuff is stored on the bird? Also, they should have been seat belted in, in some way. (Yes, as already discussed, the SFFD doesn't have helicopters.)

15) Are SFFD Fire Fighters trained as Certified First Responders? "Jake" recognized "Agonal Breathing", and called it as such.

16) Glen managed to calm Nancy down enough to use him to intubate the patient, as Fire Fighter Jake decides to take the "Sgt Shultz" path of "I didn't see anything" for Glen going out of "Scope Of Practice".

17) Shades of Ruby Ridge and Waco! Rabbit had taken the guns away from the 2 robbers, so the LEO Snipers shot 2 unarmed persons.

18) If the SFFD had the maps showing the tunnels, they should have known the tunnel they directed Glen, "Jake" and Nancy down was a dead end, instead of having them need to backtrack to a service hatch.

19) We've established that Tyler is "Gay", but when he decided to help Marisa BBP (Blood-Borne Pathogen) decontaminate the helicopter, which even Marisa claims Rabbit never does, I now have to wonder if he's "Bi", and is starting to chase Marisa.

20) The student doctor realizes Glen did the intubation, as Nancy always commits the same minor damage doing the procedure, but decides to do as "Jake" did, and not notice the descrepancy.

21) The FBI agent in charge was wrong in allowing the snipers to fire, and Rabbit was wrong in smearing the dead robbers' blood on the agent. Unfortunately, I have to agree with the reasoning behind the department's suspending Rabbit, pending an investigation. My forecast is, Rabbit will be hit with a fine. (I'm not usually a violent person, but I would have attempted to deck the FBI agent. This was a charged atmosphere to begin with, as the perps were shot mere inches from Rabbit.)

22) The FBI/Rabbit incident has some precidence within the show. Glen turned in a "decorated cop" for "tuning up" a suspect, which almost resulted in a "Battle of the Badges" bar fight between theSFFD medicos and the SFPD.

PLEEEEEASE stop nitpicking every freaking detail like this. The show will never portray every esoteric nuance to the perfection you guys seem to demand. It isn't a show for you, it is a show for everyone else. Deal with it.

I'm happy enough that a public representation of us exists that doesn't portray EMTs/paramedics as subservient stretcher jockeys and simpleminded technicians. Say what you will about the supposed gold standard of "Emergency!," but those guys couldn't take a piss without calling up Rampart on the freaking radio and asking for permission. Not to mention - for it's day - I would say that show contained at least an equal amount of gratuitous TV-candy rescues and improbable situations.

This "Trauma" show isn't nearly as good as it could be, but it hits some high points for me. Anything else worthwhile they come up with is just icing.

Edited by fiznat
  • Like 2

PLEEEEEASE stop nitpicking every freaking detail like this. The show will never portray every esoteric nuance to the perfection you guys seem to demand. It isn't a show for you, it is a show for everyone else. Deal with it.

Umm... so now that the creator has stood up and took notice of us, we should quit?

Yeah... right. Deal with it.

Umm... so now that the creator has stood up and took notice of us, we should quit?

Yeah... right. Deal with it.

I second Dusty...

if you don't want to read the "nit-picking" then don't, no one is forcing you to read this thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.