Medic school

BoCat9

Ok, I'm in my 3rd month of medic school and I've passed everything so far. We are in the Cardiac module now. Does anyone know of a good website or book that I can sit down and study with? I would esp. like some scenarios because I tend to understand things better when I have a way of applying what I learn to a situation. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ok, I'm in my 3rd month of medic school and I've passed everything so far. We are in the Cardiac module now. Does anyone know of a good website or book that I can sit down and study with? I would esp. like some scenarios because I tend to understand things better when I have a way of applying what I learn to a situation. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Everything you need to know about ECG's and how to read them can be learned from this text.

http://www.emergencyekg.com/

The cardiovascular system should have been covered in your A & P class. However,there is always room to learn further. Try this site and see if it helps you. Without the knowledge of the Cardiovascular system though, it may be a little advanced right now.

http://www.emergencymedicine.ucla.edu/ECGChallenge/

Good luck with your class!

"Rapid Interpretation of EKG's" ( "The Orange Book") is a really good text for understanding the heart.

• Like 1

"Rapid Interpretation of EKG's" ( "The Orange Book") is a really good text for understanding the heart.

I have this book also, it is wonderful. The best thing you can do is find people you know who have books, pick through them and find the best fit for you. Then get your hands on an ECG packet, we have one at work for new hires to do their ECG interpretation test with. I have a few from school and work, they have many different rhythms in them, and just practice. But understanding the way heart works is key, if that doesn't make sense nothing else will.

• Like 1

I have this book also, it is wonderful. The best thing you can do is find people you know who have books, pick through them and find the best fit for you. Then get your hands on an ECG packet, we have one at work for new hires to do their ECG interpretation test with. I have a few from school and work, they have many different rhythms in them, and just practice. But understanding the way heart works is key, if that doesn't make sense nothing else will.

Another good place to go is HERE. Bob Page, the "12 Lead Medic", has some interesting stuff on his site as well. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I passed the Cardiology Module Exam today. I was pleasantly surprised, made an 80 on it. :thumbsup: Thanks for the websites and tips. Now onto the 2nd Medical module. :| My brain is fried :confused:

• Like 1

Well done!

Keep up the good work. Don't be surprised though when you do well on a test. If you know the material, you should expect to do well! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I'm having problems with IV's. I can mainly get them in class and on people that let me use them as guinea pigs, but on my patients, I have a lot of problems. I got one on my first ride along day, but I have missed every one since, except the one I hit a valve on. It's really starting to irritate me. Maybe I just get nervous or something. Any advice?