Some collective ideas for our new forum members?

DwayneEMTP

4) Do not Google your answers and then pretend that they are yours so that you don't feel stupid.

I would, if using any search engine researched answer, give credit to either my information source, or at minimum, the search engine itself. Then, again, that might just be me. Besides, some researched material might be copyrighted, so give credit where credit is due.

• Like 1

Dwayne, I really liked what you had to say. It goes along with what I feel most of us are thinking, yet you "said" it so eloquently. Well done. Also, thank you.

Dwayne, I really liked what you had to say. It goes along with what I feel most of us are thinking, yet you "said" it so eloquently. Well done. Also, thank you.

Grin. You're welcome. Actually, you're a great example of the above statements. I've kind of been watching, to see when you will break out and start to take some chances...and that's not a critical statement. There is not doubt that after you feel your way around for a bit that you're going to have so much to offer here. I'm excited to see it...

This place can be kind of scary when you're new. At first frustrating and intimidating because people don't want you to just "be" who you are, yet later empowering and inspiring when you discover that you have a whole bunch of people in your corner, to help with your journey, each watching to make sure that you're better tomorrow than you were today. When you get scared in school it's sometimes amazing to have other's watching your back, if even from a distance.

Keep doing what you're doing girl. You're going to do great. You just wait and see...

Dwayne

Grin. You're welcome. Actually, you're a great example of the above statements. I've kind of been watching, to see when you will break out and start to take some chances...and that's not a critical statement. There is not doubt that after you feel your way around for a bit that you're going to have so much to offer here. I'm excited to see it...

This place can be kind of scary when you're new. At first frustrating and intimidating because people don't want you to just "be" who you are, yet later empowering and inspiring when you discover that you have a whole bunch of people in your corner, to help with your journey, each watching to make sure that you're better tomorrow than you were today. When you get scared in school it's sometimes amazing to have other's watching your back, if even from a distance.

Keep doing what you're doing girl. You're going to do great. You just wait and see...

Dwayne

Interesting point about support. When we are new providers, we may feel overwhelmed, especially in a system where you may have the highest level of training and are medically responsible for a patient for the first time.

I remember the first cardiac arrest I had after I became an officer. I was working with a green and very tentative partner and remember thinking- uh, oh- I need to run the show now. It worked out fine, but it is definitely a shift in your frame of mind. You go from knowing your experienced partner has your back, has probably dealt with most scenarios, to being the one making all the decisions-both medical and procedural. It's a process and a continuum, not some finite goal.

We all need mentors-regardless of how much time in the business we have- whether they are instructors, partners, supervisors, family, friends, or even a virtual community. As our confidence and experience grows, we become more assertive and better able to express our opinions and state our case- whether it be on the streets or here in a discussion forum such as this.

• Like 1

We all need mentors-regardless of how much time in the business we have- whether they are instructors, partners, supervisors, family, friends, or even a virtual community. As our confidence and experience grows, we become more assertive and better able to express our opinions and state our case- whether it be on the streets or here in a discussion forum such as this.

Man, I found this to be so true. I was blessed here as I tried to finish medic school, work 50 hrs/wk and do 48hrs/wk of clinicals. I came here and said, "I can't do it. I may be able to find the energy, but I'm not smart enough. All of the information goes into my head and turns into a big pile of swirling shit!!" Ak, Dust, asysin3leads kept telling me, "Just keep doing what you're doing man. Some day it will all come together and make sense, I swear it will, and when it does, it will be a beautiful thing." I did, and it did and it was.

I sometimes get frustrated here, but I can't imagine leaving. I've been made smarter, stronger, made lifelong friends, and continue to grow. How on earth could I ever buy that, regardless of the amount of money I had to spend?

Herbie1, you're a great example of that...your posts always have something smart, kind, interesting to say. Thanks for participating brother.

Dwayne

Man, I found this to be so true. I was blessed here as I tried to finish medic school, work 50 hrs/wk and do 48hrs/wk of clinicals. I came here and said, "I can't do it. I may be able to find the energy, but I'm not smart enough. All of the information goes into my head and turns into a big pile of swirling shit!!" Ak, Dust, asysin3leads kept telling me, "Just keep doing what you're doing man. Some day it will all come together and make sense, I swear it will, and when it does, it will be a beautiful thing." I did, and it did and it was.

I sometimes get frustrated here, but I can't imagine leaving. I've been made smarter, stronger, made lifelong friends, and continue to grow. How on earth could I ever buy that, regardless of the amount of money I had to spend?

Herbie1, you're a great example of that...your posts always have something smart, kind, interesting to say. Thanks for participating brother.

Dwayne

Thanks, brother. I often share your frustrations here, but the "different" personalities are what make any community- virtual or real- thrive.

I realize that some people choose to adopt an online persona for the purposes of stirring the pot, playing devils advocate, or simply to be a pain in the arse. That's why I don't put too much stock in the outbursts or pompous displays. I have found that meeting people from other internet forums that the person behind the keyboard is often nothing like their online personality. These online academy awards performances are too much work for me. I am what I am, I call a spade a spade, and I have NEVER been accused of being politically correct. My sense is we are very similar in personalities, and anytime you head up to the Chicago area, the first beer is on me.

My sense is we are very similar in personalities, and anytime you head up to the Chicago area, the first beer is on me.

I feel the same. In fact I was just talking to a few other members about this same point a few nights ago. Which got me to thinking.......Anybody up for starting to plan another get together?

Mateo, Akflightmedic (Yeti), Dust, Ruff and some others got together in Florida a year or two ago and had the most amazing friggin' time. There truly is something incredible about putting a bunch of like minds together in an environment with very, very limited rules... :-)

Maybe if we start planning now we could work something out for two or three months from now?? It truly was a hilarious, inspiring, money well spend experience that ak was kind enough to host. Colorado seems like a good place to host, being in the center of the US and all, but I'll travel wherever if possible. And with my current job it's pretty possible.

Let's take this to PM, or perhaps start another thread so as not to hijack this one, but I'd be interested to see if anyones interested.

In the interest of staying on topic...New members, this is a good example of community. Become involved, not just intellectually, but emotionally in the community if you'd like to take your support to another level. Hopefully it goes without saying that you must do so carefully, but there truly are friends to be made here.

Dwayne

This is my favorite post so far. You are all in my head...it’s awesome! Some really amazing people have shared similar statements and experiences with me. It is really helpful to keep hearing it as you go. Because I know that on more than 1 occasion I have told my coworkers how inadequate I feel trying to absorb and make some sense of all this material.

However I am often redeemed mentally and emotionally when my coworkers who outrank and outcert me ask me questions. And it is not to make fun, but they genuinely feel I have an answer. Always a good feeling.

Just as reading all your thoughts here is becoming.

Thanks for that, now and in the future.