Some collective ideas for our new forum members?

DwayneEMTP

Well put, Dwayne, and I think your post could even serve as a reminder for those who are not new to the forum. I'm a relative rookie here- lurked occasionally for years but never started posting until a year or so ago. I know we are supposedly educated here- at least to a point past a HS diploma. Yes, some have advanced degrees, some have professional degrees, but you certainly do not need to possess an alphabet soup behind your name to present a coherent opinion or argument.

One of the things I like about this forum is that there are literally people from across the planet, with experiences, work environments, and histories much different than my own, yet in some way, we all fall under the EMS umbrella. The only way I would ever be exposed to many of them is on a place like this forum, and I consider myself a richer and more well rounded person for it.

Clearly there are hot button issues that can degrade into degrading attacks and insults, but thankfully those incidents seem to be cyclical as well as infrequent. Everyone has their own "deal breaker" opinions on certain topics, and the trick is to be able to see the other point of view in those situations. Not always an easy task, I admit.

Again- kudos for the well thought out post.

• Like 1

Some very good advice here!

A couple other things to add:

1. Intentionally 'stirring the pot' is a good way to start collecting frowns from the general membership. We're each entitled to our opinions, but to go out of your way to 'stir things up' is generally not well received.

2. Please try to refrain from digressing to name calling. It usually proves nothing, and it more often than not precludes others from wanting to try to see things from your perspective.

3. Your homework is your homework. We don't mind helping you with it, but please don't expect us to do it for you. We've already done ours. :lol:

There are some very bright minds here (I'm still wondering how that happened!); take advantage of them, you'll be surprized how many are willing to pass on what they know.

4. A little logic and common sense go a long way around here. Want to really bring the wrath of the gods to bear? Defend an action with 'because the book says', as opposed to logically defending your point.....

4a. Don't be afraid/ashamed to admit that you were wrong. You'd be surprized how far that goes toward 'credibility' and respect!

Above all, jump in; the water's fine and the piranhas have all been fed (for now)!

• Like 2

As mentioned, don't trash someone due to what they say. It is better to say to anyone else, even me (the admitted legend in his own mind), that something stated is incorrect, but back it with facts. Do not say "You're wrong because you are a dunderhead", but instead, say, "You are wrong for the following reason(s)", and explain your reasoning.

A personal peeve of mine is, never presume that everyone else will understand something indicated locally by wherever you're certified or licensed as an emergency medical practitioner by initials. I was once confused by some folks' usage of "Con-Ed". By me, that's the electric company, Consolidated Edison, here in New York City. I returned the confusion with "C.M.E." Is that Chief Medical Examiner, or Continuing Medical Education? If you must use initials TRANSLATE the initials.

NEVER USE ALL CAPS! Even in non-EMS related areas outside of EMT City, that is considered to be shouting, and impolite even at best.

Remember that the search, and the spell check, functions are your friends. We really don't need a gazillion separate strings on the same topic, and either the administrator will shut a string down, or one of the moderators (which I am not!) will. Spelling is considered to be a function of good intelligence, even when I, and others start typing in dialect, as sometimes we Noo Yawkahs from Lawn Gyland might do wit youze guyz (Ya wanna make sumpin of it?).

Yes, we play (some even more than I do, if you can believe it) but we keep it within the context of EMS work.

Be advised that there is always going to be a battle primarily between the hospital based, and the Fire Department based, EMS systems, as well as the paid and volunteer service providers on the site. Opinions are like noses, everyone has one. No matter how well you state a position, someone will have an equally well stated opposition opinion. I may have a different opinion than you, but I'll defend you the right to have that opinion; you might even sway me to your view. (Who'da thunk it?)

Newjacks and Newbies, be advised: Welcome Aboard!

Edited by Richard B the EMT
  • Like 2

Good stuff. Real good stuff. I think you rep wil be around 8526 give or take after this, and deservedly so.

Funny because after my post in this thread my "rep" went to negative something. Funny, the popularity contest. Another reason why this site can suck sometimes!

• Like 1

Grow some thick skin, have a sense of humor, use spell check (i get slammed every time) and make sure that when your posting to the forum it is staying on the topic of choice (again been slammed lol).

If you show respect to those that have the knowledge you will be given respect for learning in return.

Alway pick your battles as you may think your right (and you maybe) but there are those that will just carry on the fight.

I have to admit I have learned alot on the forums and i do try to read them everyday. I dont always agree but I do try to learn.