FDNY EMS

matty1266

Hi...If you currently work with FDNY EMS & can give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it. I just received my call for employmet with the Dept. for EMT. I have been hearing a lot of negitave things about the job, so it's kind of discouraging. I don't know if what I'm hearing is just disgruntled rhetoric or actual dipictions of the job. I have searched a lot of forum's & all I see are pessimistic views. Please help if you can, I have to make a decession very soon, the academy starts in March 2010. Thank you.

Hi...If you currently work with FDNY EMS & can give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it. I just received my call for employmet with the Dept. for EMT. I have been hearing a lot of negitave things about the job, so it's kind of discouraging. I don't know if what I'm hearing is just disgruntled rhetoric or actual dipictions of the job. I have searched a lot of forum's & all I see are pessimistic views. Please help if you can, I have to make a decession very soon, the academy starts in March 2010. Thank you.

Depends what you want from your EMS career.

If this is a temporary job for you, and not a 25 year career, I would search for other opportunities.

That's my opinion there are no "right" answers to this.

If you want a better and more explained opinion, please tell me what you are looking for in your career and where you are in your career currently.

***Side note FDNY EMS will check your internet activities. I would suggest using proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Not to mention people from the board can and will crucify you for this.

• Like 2

If FDNY EMS is just a stepping stone, don't bother taking the slot. Also, do not act like you know everything when you get out into the field. People who are telling you negative things are the same people who had no respect for people with seniority and paid the price for it. The job is what you make it. I have 8 yrs with FDNY. I've had good and bad times on the job but I wouldn't change a thing.

He will give him a few hours. haha

I was out for a while, Thanks for getting back. To answer the question from your first reply...I would like to make it a career, but as I mentioned in the original post, I'm not hearing great things about the way the department is run. In fact, even when I was taking my medical, one of the medics on the floor was speaking negatively about the job. So, It just has me second guessing.

I'm not FDNY EMS, but I worked for North Shore LIJ for 5 years, three as an EMT and two as a medic. I also did per diem at FHMC for a little while. I have two cousins that are ex FDNY medics, who left after the merger, one of who's husband is a FDNY EMS Capt.

Conventional knowledge says that you go FDNY for the benefits, and to the hospitals for the money, better schedules, no mandations, and overall better working conditions. The quick answer for you would be to take the FDNY offer. As an EMT, you need both 911 experience and a hook to get into a good hospital, generally speaking. If you reject the offer, you'll be making 10 bucks an hour in the privates waiting to get into a hospital. Take the job, work as much OT as you can. Save up a good nut, and then go to medic school on your own if FDNY won't put you through. Then you'll have options if FDNY isn't for you.

Back to the benefits. Municipal jobs generally pay less, sometimes much less than the same job in the private sector. This is made up for in benefits. The FDNY employees can give you accurate info on benefits, but I do know that it's 25 and out at 50% plus OT calculated for the highest three earning years. FDNY and NYPD have 20 and out. Look carefully into what pension plan you fall into, as Mayor Doomberg has this tier 5 garbage he's shooting for. Decide if the pension is worth the meager salary and working conditions after you get your medic.

When I left NY in '07, a decent 2BR in a good neighborhood can go for 1500-1900/month or more. You may be single, but you may want a family one day. Unless your spouse is gainfully employed, forget about buying a house in the greater NY area. Nowadays, if you're not making over 100k in NY you'll find it difficult to buy a home in a good area, take vacations, and live well in general. Apartment living is no way to spend your life. I didn't realize that until I moved out of state. I lived in Bushwick, Ridgewood, Glendale and Middle Village. My point is that you won't prosper with FDNY. Your bills will get paid, but you'll never really "get ahead". If you want to get ahead in life, you'll need to get your medic, save up a good nest egg, and leave for another dept in another state. There's a whole other world out there. I had my fun there, but the quality of life is much better elsewhere. I live in Northern VA, make 68k base as a second year firemedic, made 91k in total last year, and we're looking at houses and townhomes in the low 200's in desireable area. We have a community pool, rec center clubhouse, plenty of parking and low crime. I don't have a bunch of animals living above and around me, either. No ghetto BS to deal with, been there many times. 25/55 pension, DROP, great work environment. Three others from NSLIJ work here also, as well as two ex FDNY medics.

Having said that, if you don't mind mandations, ball breaking conditions bosses, and disgruntled partners, it will probably be a fun job for you. I had a blast, but I was hospital based. Same job, but different admin. We can laugh off an NOI where if you're FDNY they own you and can screw with you. If you plan to stay in NYC, and also plan to make a career in EMS, go FDNY for the benefits. Work per diem at a hospital. You'll be okay.

It was said earlier not to use FDNY as a stepping stone. I suggest taking the job, working there for a while, see what the contract, benefits, and pension are, and decide where to go from there. If you want to go to medic, do it ASAP. If you can't stand FDNY after that point, you can go FT at a hospital, or move out of state for a better job. Forget about getting any degrees while OTJ, as mandations will screw up your plans. Unless you're doing 100% online stuff. I mention this just in case you dislike FDNY, but are stuck, and need a degree to make good money elsewhere.

You won't know if FDNY is the career for you until you work there.

He will give him a few hours. haha

Maybe he got mandated for the T1.

If FDNY EMS is just a stepping stone, don't bother taking the slot. Also, do not act like you know everything when you get out into the field. People who are telling you negative things are the same people who had no respect for people with seniority and paid the price for it. The job is what you make it. I have 8 yrs with FDNY. I've had good and bad times on the job but I wouldn't change a thing.

If you're referring to backdooring your way into FDNY fire, then I agree 100%. Otherwise, one may have the best intentions of making FDNY a career, but find that they are no longer willing to tolerate the working conditions after some time. There's no pension, but the hospitals generally treat their people better, pay more, and can give you a fixed schedule that jives with school. Also, most hospitals want some 911 experience to be hired. Unless Transcare picks you up, where else will you get that experience?

• Like 1

Maybe he got mandated for the T1.

Probably.

Unless Transcare picks you up, where else will you get that experience?

I'm a metrocare/transcare person myself. So I got my chance to work 9-1-1 after 6 months of transport bullsh!t and started 9-1-1 as a medic before my cards arrived in the mail!

Probably.

Have you worked with Dennis V, a big Puerto Rican dude who works FT for North Shore LIJ and per diem at Transcare? That's my boy.

I'm a metrocare/transcare person myself. So I got my chance to work 9-1-1 after 6 months of transport bullsh!t and started 9-1-1 as a medic before my cards arrived in the mail!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.