Drug Calculations

BoCat9

Ok, I'm in paramedic class and we just started calculations. I need some suggestions on doing these, esp the dimensional analysis. Any websites or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Ok, I'm in paramedic class and we just started calculations. I need some suggestions on doing these, esp the dimensional analysis. Any websites or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. confused.gif

Hey BoCat, dimensional analysis is something you did back in intro to chem. It's basically a game of cancelling the units. Example question is you are directed to administer 2mg of Morphine. You have a 10mg/ml syringe. How many ml do you inject?

The analysis is that you want an answer in ml so that unit must be on top and cancel the others - like back in math class with fractions (1/2 x 2/5 = 1/5 because the 2's cancel out)

SO.... 2 mg X 1ml/10mg = 0.2 ml

the mg behind the 2 is cancelled by the mg by the 10 leaving you with ml...the unit you want in your answer

http://www.alysion.org/dimensional/analysis.htm

Hey BoCat, dimensional analysis is something you did back in intro to chem. It's basically a game of cancelling the units. Example question is you are directed to administer 2mg of Morphine. You have a 10mg/ml syringe. How many ml do you inject?

The analysis is that you want an answer in ml so that unit must be on top and cancel the others - like back in math class with fractions (1/2 x 2/5 = 1/5 because the 2's cancel out)

SO.... 2 mg X 1ml/10mg = 0.2 ml

the mg behind the 2 is cancelled by the mg by the 10 leaving you with ml...the unit you want in your answer

http://www.alysion.org/dimensional/analysis.htm

I was just about to post that same site! It does a great job of breaking it down simply. I just used it to help out some buddies in my medic class that were struggling. :thumbsup: