"First Responder" certification question

bloomnico

Hello All,

I need to get a First Responder certification (1995 US DOT First Responder National Standard Curriculum) for a park ranger job I am in the running for by the 22nd of this month. However, I am having a difficult time finding a class! I should note that I live in New York City. I found some online, but they were either questionable or far too expensive ($900).

I thought the Red Cross was my go-to option, but the Greater New York chapter doesn't offer it. It's most advanced option is "CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer," which doesn't appear to be as advanced.

I've even looked on the calendars of other east coast Red Cross chapters — New York, NJ, NH, etc. — but to no avail.

My question is, then, does anyone know where I might be find First Responder training?

Thanks much,

Nick

Unfortunately, you can't get the EMR (formerly known as First Responder) certification that quickly.

Usually the courses are offered at a technical college and are an entire semester.

However, if you chose to do it, the EMR course (at least here in WI) is about $300. On the down side, I'd highly recommend just going a head and getting your EMT-B as you get more hands on learning and you learn more skills on top of what the EMR will receive.

Edited by DMLaufenberg

The only CFR class I am aware of, but don't have a clue if just for "in-house" or the general public, is that of the FDNY. Contact them and ask. If yes, will either be at Randalls Island FDNY Academy, or FDNY CFR-D building at Fort Totten in Bayside, Queens. You did say that you're in NYC, so should be good locally for you.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/home2.shtml