EMS Providers Uniforms Substandard

bajamedic

The military and fire services were there, did you watch the news at all. Also Homeland Security grants are mostly for the municiple/county/state and not for private for profit companies. Homeland Security grants help municiple departments, without raising taxes. For profit companies if they want to have extra gear can raise their rates. Where I come from our third service EMS can not just raise our rates, we have to go before the board of selectman.

Yea, I'm calling BS on this one too.............

The 82nd Airborne Division had several Batallions on site within 72 hours of the storm. As far as the jeans and t-shirt issue, those were not civilian air medical nurses. All civilian flight crews in the region were in their required duty attire. Perhaps you were seeing hospital based nurses flying on military aircraft?

As previously stated, be thankful you have an employer that provides these items to you as most don't!

Mandates. Similar to NFPA. Enforcement would have to be on the County or State Level. The enforcement issue is a problem in every industry in America. Employers try to cut corners if they know the cops are not around the corner. This may not be a problem everywhere. That is why I posted the topic. In my area I have seen EMT's show up in Tennis shoes with their shirts hanging out. But a more pressing issue is WHEN a disaster strikes. The Big Earthquake in California. I know Fire has stockpiles of PPE. But that is for them. Not for the BLS or ALS private provider.

I will use Hurricane Katrina for example, flight nurses were flying around in Levis and t-shirts, as there was not Pre-issued PPE. We talk allot about homeland security but we fail to address common short falls in the system. Yes the Military, the Fire Service ETC ETC. They did not show up during Katrina. Do you disagree?

Care to restate Sport............

As a general rule. You should get your facts straight, and have a basis for your arguement, before posting.

Although I disagree with seeing any provider working in tennis shoes and tee shirts. Well, if it is a disater......*&^( happens. I know a paramedic who worked in New Orleans that stayed and worked after he sent his family North. He had no uniform to wear. Just the clothes on his back.

By the way. Most Disaster stock piles for everybody, not just Military and the FD. Once again....think before you type.

You cannot possibly really believe that, can you? rolleyes.gif

He believes in hope and changethumbsup.gif Now back to reality.

OUR UNIFORMS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We look like cops!!!!!!!

To save money for PD/EMS have same uniform and this is what we all got:

Dark blue pants with blue stripe (non-supervisor)

Dark blue pants with gold stripe (supervisor)

Standard uniform shirt (with velcro pocket flaps - nice feature)

The patches are different but basically same color and size

We wear same ties or turtle necks in winter

We all wear a metal badge and name plate

OH DID I MENTION WE WEAR POLYESTER ALSO (COLD IN WINTER/HOT IN SUMMER - BUT DRY FAST WHEN WET)

Most of us wear a duty belt so we all look alike

Something needs to be done but once again money is a factor

To save money for PD/EMS have same uniform...

I'm no mathmagician, but I'm not seeing how dressing the same as the cops saves any money. I am absolutely positive that there are a lot of cheaper options besides what the cops wear, if money is the primary factor. Hell, just losing the badges and nametags and patches would save nearly $100 bucks per person. And it wouldn't cost a dime to simply change colours, even if you don't change the actual styles of shirt and trousers.

What is your board seeing that I am not? :unsure:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.