EMS Providers Uniforms Substandard

bajamedic

I would like to know how many users feel Private EMS Providers Uniforms are Substandard. Not taking the Bloodborne Pathogens Issue into the Picture, it Appears EMS Provider Uniforms In General are Cheap, Do Not Provide the Proper Thermal Protection (cold weather), etc, etc.

When is the DOT going to come of age and follow the NFPA, and Create Mandates for EMS Personnel and Their Safety.

Edited by bajamedic
  • Like 1

Aside from a slight astetic disagreement I'm fairly happy with my uniform issue. I have multiple sets of semi-comfortable pants and button up short sleeves which cover the majority of calls perfectly. They have mild amounts of reflective striping down the legs and around the shirt cuff, but if I'm working roadside I have a Hi-vis vest, hi-vis spring jacket, hi-vis parka, rain coat, helmet, etc. Sure they're not designed specifically for blood borne pathogens, but that's what PPE is for. And if my uniform gets contaminated, I send it to the logisitics division for cleaning or replacement.

What would you suggest the answer is?

The uniform here is largely white pilot style shirt and black pants.

What I like about the uniform

- Works reasonably well

- Most parts look acceptable

- Easy to wash and iron

- I have a thing for the fluro glow worm jacket

- The service has a zip up polar fleece which I hadn't seen before, looks good

What I don't like about the uniform

- Value is arguable for the price paid (I think a complete set is about $2,000 NZ)

- The white pilot style shirt is not a good choice when you're bending, CPR, squatting, carrying heavy gear, twisting etc

- White gets dirty too easy

- Black pants only have the two hip pockets

- Epaluettes are redundant and pointless

- Rank is redundant and pointless, causes more problems than it is worth

- There is a preoccuptation with putting the a particular service providers name everywhere possible

- Some qualification patches look quite cheap and nasty

- Too many qualification patches (this should change at some point)

- SERT and HEMS get a green onsie jumpsuit whereas road staff are not allowed to wear them

- Fluro vest is quite bulky

Management of one service rejected the idea of moving to a onsie UK style jumpsuit (odd considering HEMS/SERT use it) and I believe they are looking at a redesigned rain jacket as well as introducing a new zip up style vest and t-shirt rather than a business style pilot shirt.

One small service here uses a blue polo shirt which looks really nice.

x2.

I'm also curious how and more importantly who would be responsible for enforcement.

Mandates. Similar to NFPA. Enforcement would have to be on the County or State Level. The enforcement issue is a problem in every industry in America. Employers try to cut corners if they know the cops are not around the corner. This may not be a problem everywhere. That is why I posted the topic. In my area I have seen EMT's show up in Tennis shoes with their shirts hanging out. But a more pressing issue is WHEN a disaster strikes. The Big Earthquake in California. I know Fire has stockpiles of PPE. But that is for them. Not for the BLS or ALS private provider.

I will use Hurricane Katrina for example, flight nurses were flying around in Levis and t-shirts, as there was not Pre-issued PPE. We talk allot about homeland security but we fail to address common short falls in the system. Yes the Military, the Fire Service ETC ETC. They did not show up during Katrina. Do you disagree?

I would like to know how many users feel Private EMS Providers Uniforms are Substandard. Not taking the Bloodborne Pathogens Issue into the Picture, it Appears EMS Provider Uniforms In General are Cheap, Do Not Provide the Proper Thermal Protection (cold weather), etc, etc.

When is the DOT going to come of age and follow the NFPA, and Create Mandates for EMS Personnel and Their Safety.

Why in the world would an EMS authority be forced to follow what a fire agency wants? Every company I've worked for provided company jackets for use which was more than adequate for the climate encountered in their service area. Obviously, the type of jacket provided in Southern California was drastically different from the type of jackets provided by my company in Massachusetts. At no point in my short EMS career have I ever felt that my uniform was substandard. No, I have also never worked for any cutting edge company either.

Of course I also lack a fetish for turnout gear... go figure.

Edited by JPINFV

Why in the world would an EMS authority be forced to follow what a fire agency wants?

I think what he means is more NFPA style mandated standards. Of course for that to happen you would need NEMSA!

The New Zealand Fire Service has many, many quite specific standards for things like workplace safety, bunker gear, tools, quality management etc while the Ambulance Services standards' are quite broad and generic and of less quality generally than the Fire Service.

Last I heard Ambulance Victoria (Australia) has stockpiles of 270 days worth of supplies, PPE and N95s. Most of our PPE is low-level and the full chem/bio suits are only avaliable to the Northern Region SERT team. Contrast this to the Fire Service who has large stockpiles of CBRN gear, very specific standards around it's use and quality and specific standards on general protective equipment eg bunker gear.

Of course I also lack a fetish for turnout gear... go figure.

Me either, but it would be easier to pick up chicks if I had some boots, bunker pants and a blue Fire Service t-shirt to go grocery shopping in :D

Me either, but it would be easier to pick up chicks if I had some boots, bunker pants and a blue Fire Service t-shirt to go grocery shopping in :D

See... I don't have that problem. My current jacket trumps turnout gear.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.