Request for assistance

K9kazoo

I’m looking for some data for a research paper I’m doing for my Advanced Care Paramedic course. I’m looking for protocols, operating procedures/guidelines, etc... on OC/pepper spray calls for service. We’ve seen a huge spike with the gang bangers in our fine city using pepper spray against innocents and even law enforcement officers. Looking to find a better way of dealing with these patients. Would prefer not to transport as we have a problem with off load delays and a lack of resource issue here too.

Any help you can send my way it would be appreciated. Would prefer links, Word or PDF documents.

Please feel free to forward my request to those you think may be able to assist.

Thanks,

Bryan

• Like 1

fail_thread2.jpg

I often come here for opinions and resources to compare to the endless noise I sometimes find when searching Google. I don't get what's so wrong with this thread?

Dwayne

Edited for grammar. No significant change in context.

Edited by DwayneEMTP
  • Like 2

Actually, I think the thread is fine.

Arcticat's response made it seem like a fail with the 330000 hits on google. It was a good setup fpr a chuckle.

I just wanted to use the demotivator.

Bleach knows I mean no offence :lol:

I at least give the OP a +1 for knowing what CYWG means eh

Now, go direct to yankee xray hotel, do not pass GO, do not collect $200 and contact Winnipeg Centre, one three two point niner two so long

/crams alternate personality back in, thats better :D

Edited by kiwimedic

Overly simplistic approach is rinse the eyes out, from alongside the nose towards the temples, with copious amounts of preferably lukewarm water. Presume the pepper spray, or whatever the tearing agent, to be "gassing off" from the patient's clothing, and have the ambulance's air exhaust system running full blast.

Remember, if this is an individual or 2 sprayed, that this is a small HazMat call, try and protect yourself from the fumes. This can possibly be done with an M95 or similar respiratory mask.

If it is a generalized release into the ventilation system of a school, factory, office complex, or shopping mall, "Roll the World", and call it in for a full HazMat response. (It is always easier to stop the response, than to get it started in the first place.)

(While we are here, I have no clue: what is/are "CYWG"?)

Overly simplistic approach is rinse the eyes out, from alongside the nose towards the temples, with copious amounts of preferably lukewarm water. Presume the pepper spray, or whatever the tearing agent, to be "gassing off" from the patient's clothing, and have the ambulance's air exhaust system running full blast.

Yeah, I had a pt. once who became combative enroute to the hospital even after 5mg Haldol and 5mg Valium. I called dispatch and requested LEO meet us at said hospital. UOA the LEO opened the back doors with pepper spray in hand! Fortunately we were able to stop him before he contaminated the ambulance. I just asked for his handcuffs and some assistance in placing them on the pt.

CYWG is the airport code for Winnipeg Manitoba.

Yeah, I had a pt. once who became combative enroute to the hospital even after 5mg Haldol and 5mg Valium. I called dispatch and requested LEO meet us at said hospital. UOA the LEO opened the back doors with pepper spray in hand! Fortunately we were able to stop him before he contaminated the ambulance. I just asked for his handcuffs and some assistance in placing them on the pt.

LOL! Had an old guy once who started getting froggy with his walker at the crew :D

If the Police OC spray somebody here ambo is generally not called as the cops can deal with them, they just break out a bottle of water or I believe they have some anti-OC rinse.

Same goes for people being tazed although I think they are checked out by the Police doctor. Guidance for people tazered here basically says give them a check over, take out the prongs and they can be left with the Police as a non transport.

CYWG is the airport code for Winnipeg Manitoba.

YEG is the passenger code (IATA), CYWG is the ICAO code for more technical stuff that pilots and other people like that deal with.

Remember, if this is an individual or 2 sprayed, that this is a small HazMat call, try and protect yourself from the fumes. This can possibly be done with an M95 or similar respiratory mask.

If it is a generalized release into the ventilation system of a school, factory, office complex, or shopping mall, "Roll the World", and call it in for a full HazMat response. (It is always easier to stop the response, than to get it started in the first place.)

Not simplistic at all, Richard. That's essentially all an ER will do anyway- except they will probably use a Morgan lens set up or some similar device. The only caveat I would have is if the patient was aggressive enough to warrant a pepper spray, I'd be cautious about a lot of close up contact with them. These days, with the advent of the Taser, we see far less pepper spray incidents than we used to- save for the occasional smart ass who sprays it in school.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.