Paramedic Accademy Liability

I completed the classroom portion of my PCP training January 2009. I still need to complete my on-car protoion. In British Columbia, the labour unrest has shut down the Paramedic Accademy and I am unable to complete my training. Although I am completely behind this fight for better wages, benefits etc, I want a complete refund of all costs associated with my incomplete training. I`d rather4 wait and take the course again later.

What should I do

I completed the classroom portion of my PCP training January 2009. I still need to complete my on-car protoion. In British Columbia, the labour unrest has shut down the Paramedic Accademy and I am unable to complete my training. Although I am completely behind this fight for better wages, benefits etc, I want a complete refund of all costs associated with my incomplete training. I`d rather4 wait and take the course again later.

What should I do

get a lawyer?

What should I do

Dear Lifeguard,

I think you have to consider the time, effort, and cost of starting over. Wait it out, do your ambulance clinical then be done with it. Also, I don't think the JI would be willing to give you a refund. I am not speaking on their behalf, just speculating a bit.

Heck, I think we all have been angry at points in our lives and just the idea of saying 'screw you guys' and walking away somehow make everything seem better. Just walk out the door and move on; I don't need those jerks. Hey, I did that very thing, but you have to consider the after. What next? Do you have another PCP course in mind? How long is it? Can you get in? Would you have to move? Can you handle the delay? If you are just starting out, and I suspect you are, then perhaps the answer to those questions would be a no. For me the decision was simple to make, and the after was easy to take as I am established in my career.

Good luck, and I am sure you will be doing your amb time before you know it.

I think the JI is responsible for all costs.

Dear Lifeguard,

I think you have to consider the time, effort, and cost of starting over. Wait it out, do your ambulance clinical then be done with it. Also, I don't think the JI would be willing to give you a refund. I am not speaking on their behalf, just speculating a bit.

Heck, I think we all have been angry at points in our lives and just the idea of saying 'screw you guys' and walking away somehow make everything seem better. Just walk out the door and move on; I don't need those jerks. Hey, I did that very thing, but you have to consider the after. What next? Do you have another PCP course in mind? How long is it? Can you get in? Would you have to move? Can you handle the delay? If you are just starting out, and I suspect you are, then perhaps the answer to those questions would be a no. For me the decision was simple to make, and the after was easy to take as I am established in my career.

Hello,

Go ask the JI for your money back. Good luck.

I am sure they will claim that it isn't their fault for the delay because the strike is out of their control. It is an 'external' issue between the BC government and CUPE.

If all you have left is an ambulance clinical just wait for things to sort out. Otherwise, you would have wasted a great deal of time and money.

Cheers

I would never go before Licensing or before a preceptor after two years of no training. My Lawyer compares the JI to a movie theatre, whose projector broke down. An immediate refund is required. The Kelowna BC class has retained a Lawyer. . [

quote name='DartmouthDave' date='01 February 2010 - 06:05 AM' timestamp='1265022316' post='235050']

Hello,

Go ask the JI for your money back. Good luck.

I am sure they will claim that it isn't their fault for the delay because the strike is out of their control. It is an 'external' issue between the BC government and CUPE.

If all you have left is an ambulance clinical just wait for things to sort out. Otherwise, you would have wasted a great deal of time and money.

Cheers

WOW! You Paramedics must get big great money up there in Whitehourse to walk away from an incomplete $6000 course.

Dear Lifeguard,

Something tells me your work for the JI

Hello,

WOW! You Paramedics must get big great money up there in Whitehourse to walk away from an incomplete $6000 course.

I wonder if we have read the same messages?

Do what you want. Try to get your money back if you want. Just hang in there and you will get things done if you want. Heck, I know a few people in your situation. Waiting for their ACP clinicals. I have friends in the Army waiting to finish their PCP programs as well. J

Something tells me your work for the JI

I am big supporter of the JI? No. The school has issues. However, despite issues within JI how can they be accountable for a labour dispute between BCAS and the BC government? Sure...follow that logic and if there was a nursing strike all the universities and colleges would have to refund their students? An RT strike? An OT strike? A PT strike?

The best of luck with whatever option you select. However, one can not solicit advice and get frustrated with the responses. Sure, your in a frustrating situation. But,

Lifeguard,

I am not sure if you were asking me if I worked for the JI. If so, the answer is no. As for the previous poster I think he was being a bit sarcastic in saying go get your money back. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think his 'external' argument is a valid argument to be used. I am sure that has occurred to them.

As for the safety in numbers who knows if that will help you? I don't know. Also, there are all kinds of other large groups in limbo. All the army medics not getting deployed right now come to mind.

All I am saying is this: you might get your money back but you won't get your PCP. If you want your PCP then you are putting a lot on the line. If you say no to the JI, then where are you going to go? In Vancouver there is Decland, right? I think there is one program up Island, but regardless, you will still have to re-take the PCP, and wait. That is not going to get you out the door any faster. Heck, all it will do is put you behind all the students now as you clinical will still be with BCAS.

If you worry is being rusty, perhaps a better course of action would be to ask the JI for a refresher weekend or something like that. They might be more receptive to that then, say, a law suit. Just speculating is all.

Sure, be angry, and you sound pissed off. I would be also, but take a second, cool down then proceed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.