" Where is the future of this profession heading?"

tniuqs

A properly educated ambo with the ability to make good diagnoses and treat or refer to appropriate treatment is what is needed rather than going "I don't know, or, I can't do anything" and taking patients to the hospital.

Edited by kiwimedic

Better educated? That's what critical care medic would be for.

Better at a holistic approach to medicine? I'll have you know that yesterday I transported a terminal cancer patient to comfort care who was sedated and, just like his daughter asked, I held his hand the whole way just so he would know somebody was there. I never lie to my patients or their families and I keep their promises. I do everything in my power to make them comfortable. Why? Because it's my job.

Better at communicating with patients? I've gone on two and a half hour transports and talked with the patient the whole way, laughing, telling stories, etc.

What would a paramedic know about cytostatic regimes? Plenty if they were taught about them.

As far as paramedics working in the hospital setting as "ER techs", you mean "go for"s and CNA replacements? Because that's all they seem to amount to over here in the states aside from the rare hospital that might let them get a little close to their scope of practice... let them put a little IV in to keep them happy and keep them from thinking they're a slave for grunt work.

My simple argument is that there is no need for pre-hospital registered nurses, or at least there wouldn't be if some places bothered to educate their paramedics.

I don't doubt for one second that you are a caring professional. That wasn't my point. I was making a comparison of the both professions as a whole. Besides, holding someone's hand all the way is not the definition of a holistic approach. That's called common decency and compassion. Oh, and I should hope you don't lie to your patients!

WM

I don't doubt for one second that you are a caring professional. That wasn't my point. I was making a comparison of the both professions as a whole. Besides, holding someone's hand all the way is not the definition of a holistic approach. That's called common decency and compassion. Oh, and I should hope you don't lie to your patients!

WM

A holistic approach is addressing a patient's needs, medically, mentally, and socially. I wasn't saying that you doubt that I am a caring professional. Yes, there are those in EMS that ignore the needs of a patient beyond the medical. But you can't tell me that there aren't those in nursing who do the same. Just because you are educated in something or taught to do something doesn't mean you do it. However, in the pre-hospital setting, you are limited as to what needs you can meet because you're only with the patient for a short amount of time. I know medics who have let dogs out, locked doors, changed a baby's diaper, etc. Yes, holding someone's hand is hardly the definition of a holistic approach, but it's more than some paramedics and nurses do.

• Like 1

A holistic approach is addressing a patient's needs, medically, mentally, and socially. I wasn't saying that you doubt that I am a caring professional. Yes, there are those in EMS that ignore the needs of a patient beyond the medical. But you can't tell me that there aren't those in nursing who do the same. Just because you are educated in something or taught to do something doesn't mean you do it. However, in the pre-hospital setting, you are limited as to what needs you can meet because you're only with the patient for a short amount of time. I know medics who have let dogs out, locked doors, changed a baby's diaper, etc. Yes, holding someone's hand is hardly the definition of a holistic approach, but it's more than some paramedics and nurses do.

That we can certainly agree upon!

Of course you would defend your profession, you are a medic student and therefore competing with a PHRN. However, a blanket statement like nurses belong in a hospital doesn't help your case. Have an argument but make sure it's a reasoned one.

Maybe that's why nurses are paid and respected more

No, strike that; it's unkind. I'm sorry. However, the point I am trying to make is that a paramedic does not have the god given right to pre-hospital care. There are other models that work just as well.

WM

Mark,

Here is a copy of the presentation I gave in 2008 to the paramedic students at the Montgomery County Public Safety Education Campus in Conshohocken, PA.

Here

Don't hesitate to mail me if you want to know more....

WM

PS: the cautionary tale mentioned at the end is

Thanks for that. The "tale" was pretty funny. I did that once.....ok no I dindnt.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.