Trumpy Report for BCAS

Hello,

Some interesting news out of BC. These two articles are about the Trumpy Report. The second one has actual details from the report.

http://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/blogs/Post+strike+report+finds+paramedics+among+best+paid+country/2456473/story.html

http://columbiavalleynews.com/2010/01/19/trumpy-report-suggests-community-based-solutions-for-smaller-rural-ambulance-services/

Not the best thing to hit the press with the strike (..the sequel...) looming this spring.

Cheers,

Hello,

Some interesting news out of BC. These two articles are about the Trumpy Report. The second one has actual details from the report.

http://www.timescolo...6473/story.html

http://columbiavalle...lance-services/

Not the best thing to hit the press with the strike (..the sequel...) looming this spring.

Cheers,

WOW......BC medics are at the top of the pay scale in Canada??? I cry a great big Bravo Sierra on that one. This dude needs to pull his head out of his a$$.

WOW......BC medics are at the top of the pay scale in Canada??? I cry a great big Bravo Sierra on that one. This dude needs to pull his head out of his a$$.

Did you read the appendixes? His data is in there. Do you have an argument with his numbers?

Did you read the appendixes? His data is in there. Do you have an argument with his numbers?

I do did you read rock_shoes post over a year ago ... hell hes so poor I had to buy beers!

BC is no where near the highest paid even close to top of the heap ... try Calgary, Edmonton or Ottawa shall we ?

Trumpy is beyond a shadow of doubt a government paid off brown noser ... read his bio not the news spoofs.

cheers

I can offer a few comments on the appendixes, mind you I have just skimmed over the report quickly, so if any of my details are incorrect please correct me.

His data with direct wage and benefits compares what is referred to as the top wage for that position, but no word on exactly how long it takes to reach that level, or how many people are making those wages and benefits. The waters are further muddied by the nature of the numerous on-call and part-time positions in BCAS. In the body of his report he mentions the employees who are on $2/hour on call and make full wage when called out. To his credit he mentions that as a problem with the provincial service model, but I wonder if its properly factored in to his wage findings. Another issue that he mentions is the fact that people often travel long distances out of the communities they live in to work. Are these travel expenses paid for by BCAS, or does the employee bear them himself?

I think that there may be a little cooking going on in these here books.

Paramedics in British Columbia are among the best compensated in the country, an industrial inquiry commission has found.

The report looks at total compensation -- including wages, benefits, sick leave and pensions -- and found B.C.'s workers to be "paid at the top end of paramedics across Canada".

Lol. Funny.

Edited by technocardy

Hello,

There is some truth to this report.

If you have a good PCP position the pay compares very well to the rest of Canada. For the ACP/CCP one can make well above the Canadian average for EMS. For some reason in BC every year the Provinical government publishes the names public service staff that have made more than $75,000.

I can not seem to find it online now (for 2008-2009). However, the unit chief for the ITT made $250,000. It also showed that ACP do very well. CCP even better. ($100,000+ easy). (Sorry...no refernce for this statement)

However, if the wages were ploted on a bell curve it would be skewed big time to the left. You would see pile of people on the lower end of the wage scale. These big saleries do not repersent the rank-and-file BCAS staff.

More full-time positions are needed.

Get rid of the driver positions or the EMR level. Really, is there a place for a guy with a class 4 and an EMR in a modern EMS system?

More ACP and CCP as well. Start doing inter-facility ALS transfers (...as opposed to making hospitals provide staff...). Get more planes.

Improve the BLS level of care. Again, is it acceptable for a modern EMS system to bring a sepsis patient to the ED without a line becasue they do not have the certification or training? Becasue, from what I have seen , BC has two levels of BLS. Level one is o2 and transport. Level two actual quality BLS care. IV, narcan, et al......

Ok...I am done. This post got away from me a little bit. :lol:

Lastly, this post isn't an attack against BCAS. Or, ment to pick on those making a good living with BCAS. I just think that the wealth could be spread around some and training could be elevated some.

Cheers....

David

name='DartmouthDave' date='30 January 2010 - 02:16 AM' timestamp='1264842990' post='234940']

Hello,

There is some truth to this report.

Ok Im waiting for the punch line, knowing that there is about only 12 cars full time staffed with ACP in BC.

If you have a good PCP position the pay compares very well to the rest of Canada. For the ACP/CCP one can make well above the Canadian average for EMS. For some reason in BC every year the Provinical government publishes the names public service staff that have made more than $75,000.

Define good svp, to get a "good" BC PCP job it takes years of part-time or casual, perhaps we should look to that bell curve you mention and relate it to a "time to full time PCP"

The hoop jumping to education is rocky at best, and then peer "judgement" to even access is SO not the way to go, that said the membership of CUPE employees do not necessarily help that situation out either (to be fair)

I can not seem to find it online now (for 2008-2009). However, the unit chief for the ITT made $250,000. It also showed that ACP do very well. CCP even better. ($100,000+ easy). (Sorry...no refernce for this statement)

There is NO OFFICIALLY CMA accepted CCP program in BC so if a BC Paramedic states this, (again no clear definition of what is a CCP or title protection) it could be that they are ONT grads or perhaps their eyes are brown.

However, if the wages were ploted on a bell curve it would be skewed big time to the left. You would see pile of people on the lower end of the wage scale. These big saleries do not repersent the rank-and-file BCAS staff.

Agreed in spades I certainly hope some one will do that and factor in ALL levels in EMS in BC .. that would be interesting paper to present in the BC legislature after Trumpy released his "impartial investigation" GAG ! This is all because of VANOC and the pressure placed on the government to "control the troops" with the welcome the world winter party.

Get rid of the driver positions or the EMR level. Really, is there a place for a guy with a class 4 and an EMR in a modern EMS system?

Hence the CUPE union attempting to gain public attention for more full timers add to this and many other real FACTS regarding the daily operation of BCAS as the more I hear from my BC brother's the more I believe a huge change is needed for the tax payers and voters of BC to recieve what the vast majority of Canada is getting (well accept for Keybec as it is all spy talk out there)

Yes and No .. it depends on the location and availability and just what is the massive defining difference between EMR and the PCP level in BC with the Salvador Dali stepping stone educational process(s) like IV endorsed, defib endorsed, ventolin endorsed, nitro endorsed ? Besides do you actually need an edjumicated ambulance operator ... to rush to hospital ? Bottom line nationally why the hell did we start a registry (in AB) for an advanced first aider with no on-car experience, no hospital practical, heck the OFA 3 and EMR (even in AB) dont know how to pull a cot out of the back of a freaking truck ... of this I see daily in Industrial EMS.

More ACP and CCP as well. Start doing inter-facility ALS transfers (...as opposed to making hospitals provide staff...). Get more planes.

No kidding and BCAS has a long way to go in these areas but under present Government it is highly likely not going to happen, the options on the table for Comrade Campbell to improve level of care are NOT happy options for the CUPE gang generally speaking, but because every BC ambulance already has an Emergency Paramedic sticker on it just how WILL the public know the level of care they are getting ?

Improve the BLS level of care. Again, is it acceptable for a modern EMS system to bring a sepsis patient to the ED without a line becasue they do not have the certification or training? Becasue, from what I have seen , BC has two levels of BLS. Level one is o2 and transport. Level two actual quality BLS care. IV, narcan, et al......

AND continuity in experience.

Ok...I am done. This post got away from me a little bit. :lol:

No I think its on track really ... its just not as simple as one "Trumpy" colouring/cook book presentation to the media.

Lastly, this post isn't an attack against BCAS. Or, ment to pick on those making a good living with BCAS. I just think that the wealth could be spread around some and training could be elevated some.

Here too... BCAS guys and girls on the ground level know what the real problems are, tying all operations, plus access to education, plus licencing, plus governance in one ball of wax is a recipe for stagnation .. nothing will change at the upper levels until retirement's happen, it is the peter principle in political sciences. ie People are appointed to positions of responsibility until they become totally inept. (kind of a quote)

Cheers....

HEY thats my Line :devilish:

Hello,

Any other point I would like to add is access to education. Why is it that one has to go to Vancouver to learn how to be an ACP? Or, why is there a lack of PCP programs in BC?

Part of the reason ACP and CCP make lots of money (...tons of OT...) is the fact that becoming an ACP is problematic for may senior PCP staff. Travel time. Time away from families. Limited ACP posting (ALS stations). The fact that becoming an ACP will require many BCAS staff (..and families..) to relocate.

Add to this the difficulty for Paramedic from outside of BC getting reconized in BC.

This all creates a self imposed bottle neck that makes training new ACP and CCP staff difficult.

It will be interesting to see how the strike goes this spring. CUPE is in a bind that is for sure. Not the best time to pushing for wage increases and more positions. This report won't help at all!!! Also, I wonder if there is an agenda to break up BCAS and transfer EMS services to each of the health regions.

David

Now see... that right there is what I'm talking about. It really helps when someone gives us reliable information so that those with our heads up our assets can develop a broader, deeper and more realistic view of what is going on. Thanks for the post.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.