iPad, what do you think?

chbare

Err... tablet and slate PCs have been around for a while now. What I can't imagine having any uses is a computer that can't multitask.

I'm well aware of the existence of other products. The user interface however has been crap. To garner any kind of market share it needs to be simple and intuitive which frankly windows based devices are not. Remember the zune? Me either. With further product development the concept is sound. Think about students packing textbooks even. Carrying one iPad with texts loaded on it would unquestionably be better than carrying 30 lbs of books. It's not meant to be a laptop. It's a different type of device altogether.

You don't need a special tablet to have electronic books. Heck, a number of my textbooks are available for "free" (tuition at work) through my school's library website. The problem is if I'm reading a book or reviewing notes, it's nice to have Powerpoint open if I want to make flash cards or the internet if I need to Google something. That doesn't work if I can only have one open application at a time. So, great... instead of carrying around 30 pounds of books (library reserve desk?), I have to worry about two different gizmos because someone doesn't want to load a book program into their laptop?

Besides, who needs an iPod... For half the price and a quarter the size, I can get plenty of mp3 players that have enough functions and memory to meet my needs.

Edited by JPINFV

Rock Shoes, I am such a fan boy, I am willing to see what actually comes out. However, my initial negativity is based on what has been put out by Apple. Apple is saying this is going to be a revolutionary Internet experience, yet we will not have flash? Apple is putting a 1 Gig processor into the iTab, yet we will still have an iPhone OS that cannot multitask? Apple has the ability to address these issues and the technology can easy support fixing these and other issues. Therefore, I feel like Apple does not want to address these issues. My fear is Apple will pull another iPhone on us by releasing a new updated iPad after raking in money from all the sukkas who bought the first generation device.

I understand the need to make money, but Apple is doing well and they would be smart to keep the fanboys happy while putting out top notch products. The current iPad is not top notch when considering what Apple is easily able to do. It's sad, because what I've seen of the iTab book store is impressive, and the integration of keynote into the iTab looks like an incredible experience. I guess I was really expecting something that would set the bar, especially with all of the iTab bloviating that has been going on.

Take care,

chbare.

EDIT: Another double post, WTF?

Edited by chbare

Rock Shoes, I am such a fan boy, I am willing to see what actually comes out. However, my initial negativity is based on what has been put out by Apple. Apple is saying this is going to be a revolutionary Internet experience, yet we will not have flash? Apple is putting a 1 Gig processor into the iTab, yet we will still have an iPhone OS that cannot multitask? Apple has the ability to address these issues and the technology can easy support fixing these and other issues. Therefore, I feel like Apple does not want to address these issues. My fear is Apple will pull another iPhone on us by releasing a new updated iPad after raking in money from all the sukkas who bought the first generation device.

I understand the need to make money, but Apple is doing well and they would be smart to keep the fanboys happy while putting out top notch products. The current iPad is not top notch when considering what Apple is easily able to do. It's sad, because what I've seen of the iTab book store is impressive, and the integration of keynote into the iTab looks like an incredible experience. I guess I was really expecting something that would set the bar, especially with all of the iTab bloviating that has been going on.

Take care,

chbare.

EDIT: Another double post, WTF?

They will address these already known problems after they make their money after the first gen release. After they do so, they will announce a new release, fixing some of the already known issues. Then go it again, so on and so forth... we have seen this before with all their other products.

Am I denying it's a good product? No, not really. It has potential to be pretty cool, but needs lots of work. I will wait until they "fix" the problems until I decide to look into actually buying one. Until then, I am happy with my uber netbook.

Well, here's an unexpected use for the ipod, anyway. The person shown in this is one Heather Holliday, a professional sword swallower whom Lady J and I have seen at Coney Island USA.

http://www.youtube.c...gQ&translated=1

Edited by Richard B the EMT

I especially like how Daniel Tosh tried out the ipad Apple sent him on his tv show.

I can't link the video because of copyrights, but I can explain what he did. Apple sent Daniel Tosh an ipad to demo on his Comedy Central TV show, "Tosh.O". The video showed him holding the gizmo, then the next scene, he was standing on a conference room table, with a golf club. He then "drove" the ipad across the room. Later, stating they never even turned the thing on.

My fear is Apple will pull another iPhone on us by releasing a new updated iPad after raking in money from all the sukkas who bought the first generation device.

Fair enough. I expect this is exactly what Apple is up to. Once the Sheeple fill up the coffers the rest of us should be able to enjoy what the device is truly capable of. I suspect the only fix needed for first gen devices will be a software upgrade. On one hand I agree it would be great to appease the true fans and bring the complete package to market immediately. On the other I can't really blame a for profit company for milking the consumer base for all it's worth.

I certainly know what you mean with the iPhone. I've been holding out for an unlimited data plan in Canada and making do using an iPod touch for quickie medical reference. For a country that's otherwise well off we have absurd cell/data rates in Canada.

• 1 year later...

Ok, I have the ability to compare an android tablet and an Ipod side by side.

I have a Ipod 1 - 64 gig and I have a Nook that I've loaded a Android operating system on the SD card and have it load to that system

So far I'm impressed with both but since I really like the android operating system I'm leaning towards the android.

Unfortunately the ipad screen size outdoes the nook because well, the nook is a ebook reader and it's a 7 inch I think screen. The Ipad seems much bigger.

I also do not like the lack of a SD card which limits the number of movies I want to put on the Ipad, but putting videos on the Ipad and the android is wicked simple.

The nook (modified) runs Angry birds without issue. So does the Ipad

I think that if you are looking for a nice stable OS then go with the Ipad but if you are OK with putting up with some force closes, then the android will be for you.

If you have a Nook and want to have it boot to the Android 2.2.1 operating system, let me know and I'll point you to the files you need.

Ruff

• 8 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.