iPad, what do you think?

chbare

Not impressed with the iPad at all. Nothing to make me want to go from my iTouch to it. I think I'll stay with the netbook I have and then pick up a Nook or Kindle. Or buy one of these:

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/

if I want touchscreen bad enough

I agree that that the I-pad is really just an oversized I-pod touch... Yet, don't underestimate the folks at apple. The bookreader feature may just be the selling point that makes this thing a great success. The recent success of the kindle shows that there is certainly an appetite for a book reader. The kindle retails for about $200, but doesn't anything else. The i-pad starts at around $400, but people will most likely justify the price point because of the additional features. Add to that the "coolness" of the online i-book store. Apple might have some real success with this item.

HellsBells, I cannot disagree. The iPad will have much more appeal if Apple can pull off the app experience. They will need to offer some revolutionary stuff, but the app store has a few great developers. Time will tell how it all works out.

The book store does show that Apple is taking the Kindle and other devices seriously. However, you want to have the best online experience, add a camera so people can Skype and such and allow the iPad to run flash for the full Internet experience. I would have a much better impression if these two concepts were included.

Another potential consideration will be what the jailbreaking community will be able to do with the iPad. We could see some of the most revolutionary concepts of iPad use stem from this community.

As of now, I am underwhelmed; however, I will take a wait and see approach.

Take care,

chbare.

HellsBells, I cannot disagree. The iPad will have much more appeal if Apple can pull off the app experience. They will need to offer some revolutionary stuff, but the app store has a few great developers. Time will tell how it all works out.

The book store does show that Apple is taking the Kindle and other devices seriously. However, you want to have the best online experience, add a camera so people can Skype and such and allow the iPad to run flash for the full Internet experience. I would have a much better impression if these two concepts were included.

Another potential consideration will be what the jailbreaking community will be able to do with the iPad. We could see some of the most revolutionary concepts of iPad use stem from this community.

As of now, I am underwhelmed; however, I will take a wait and see approach.

Take care,

chbare.

I agree there. There is a lot of things it's lacking. Like you said, it's nothing more than a large 1st gen ipod. Apple needs to pull their heads from their butts and start putting out quality products that are up to date. Not starting from the beginning and keep upgrading/releasing new of the same thing. They know their mistakes/problems from the iphone/iod. So, what did they do with the ipad? Started it off just like the iphone. It's just a money maker.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I own a convertable tablet laptop, it was fantastic for writing my notes on it school, as it was really fast for me to flip back to older notes and so on.

As for the iPad. It has iWork, so the productivity software is there but the input is useless. I hate to say it but it needs a pen. Keep touch screen, keep multi touch, but when it recognizes there is a pen there turn that crap off and listen only to the pen so you can write. Just much easier way of inputing stuff that a touch screen keyboard like the iPhone.

Such negativity over a product most of us have yet to even hold in our hands. Having used my iPod touch for the last year I can't help but think the iPad has a legitimate future within EMS. Careful software development with Bluetooth and perhaps in conjunction with Phillips, Medtronic, etc. could yield some spectacular results. A truly innovative ePCR system could in fact be just around the corner. What about eCharting within the hospital setting? Imagine physicians being able to pull up any patient's chart from anywhere in the hospital and update it on a hospital server in real time. How about viewing lab reports, pathology reports, medical imaging, etc. all from a patient's bedside? All of these things could easily become a reality with careful software development.

What about eCharting within the hospital setting? Imagine physicians being able to pull up any patient's chart from anywhere in the hospital and update it on a hospital server in real time. How about viewing lab reports, pathology reports, medical imaging, etc. all from a patient's bedside? All of these things could easily become a reality with careful software development.

Err... tablet and slate PCs have been around for a while now. What I can't imagine having any uses is a computer that can't multitask.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.