Gloves on a plane

EMT Zombie

I carried gloves in my wallet for the longest time. They came in useful more than once... especially for those 3am phone calls when I lived in the dorm.

I no longer carry them in my wallet because a lot of them wander home in my scrubs... so there's random pairs whenever I need them, and I realized just how dork-tastic it was to carry a pair on me intentionally. Baiting Mr. Murphy is not a good idea!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I carried gloves in my wallet for the longest time. They came in useful more than once... especially for those 3am phone calls when I lived in the dorm.

I no longer carry them in my wallet because a lot of them wander home in my scrubs... so there's random pairs whenever I need them, and I realized just how dork-tastic it was to carry a pair on me intentionally. Baiting Mr. Murphy is not a good idea!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I carry a little cpr mask in a pouch on my key chain. A pair of gloves are in there, but I do believe they are of less quality than the gloves you find in a hair drying kit.

I read this great article here in one of the Canadian magazines. You notice how the TSA people never look at you. They are not looking for terrorists, they are looking for things on the banned list. Every minute they spend shaking down gramma's artificial leg is a minute away from a closer look at the nervous 20 something mid eastern male. (horrors - racial profiling). Note also that of all the officials you are ever likely to deal with, the TSA guys (and gals) are the most resistant to any questions whatsoever. If those guys ever look at you, they see contempt and barely veiled irritation at the stupidity that trips through airline security become no contact disquiet all around. The reason that woman was allowed her 12 inch knitting needles is because knitting needles have not made it to the list yet.

By the way - those multi million dollar screeners that will allow those dolts to peer at my anatomy are totally useless if Ahmed decides to pack 4 lbs of plastic explosive in his butt. It is totally ridiculous and has totally accomplished the aim of the terrorists, which is to cause confusion and chaos and cost us billions in time, energy and real money on misdirected and essentially useless crap.

*** whew *** end of rant

I just had to make a short one hour flight....It took me an hour and a half to get through security and then I had to wait 2 hours in the terminal due to the plane having to be swept because some passenger checked baggage at the previous stop did not make it on the plane....

anyway I am rambling off topic:

While going through security I had a set of earbud headphones that were not that great I paid 50 cents at the dollar store for them but they looked like nice bose headphones well someone wanted them and I was told they were on the do not fly list well at this point I thought I did not have time to argue with him about it...so just be aware dont take anything you really want that is little like that through the security screening...

While going through security I had a set of earbud headphones that were not that great I paid 50 cents at the dollar store for them but they looked like nice bose headphones well someone wanted them and I was told they were on the do not fly list well at this point I thought I did not have time to argue with him about it...so just be aware dont take anything you really want that is little like that through the security screening...

That's when you just break them and then throw them in the hazardous waste bin known as a trash can. If the goon squad thinks that they're dangerous, then make them unusable.

Back to the original question, there are gloves in the medical kit. Usually a small pair but a pair none the less.

The kits are pretty well stocked with the basics but only a 500cc bag of fluid.

I had a guy who took too much blood pressure medication, his pressure crashed and he was nearly unresponsive.

His bp was 60palp when I took it.

had them open the med bag, started the iv and realized that there was no other fluid in the bag other than the 500ml. He responded after 400ml's but what if we needed more.

I actually talked to the medical control and it was basically my decision to divert the plane from it's original destination. I said we were ok to make it to our destination (memphis) and the guy did fine. EMS Was waiting on us.

That being said, you will be required to provide medical licensure before you start treatment unless it's a code so make sure you have your license in your wallet or carry on bags. The flight attendants said that they would have allowed me to treat him even if I didn't have it but that was a lot more paperwork.

You are practicing your skills under the auspice's of the medical command that the airline has set up.

jsut my experience

I would just say that, unless you see CPR in progress, or blood spurting everywhere, an EMT usually has zero business standing up when they ask for medical personnel. The chances of you being able to even assess the patient, much less provide them any treatment they need, are slim to none. Not to mention the probability of you being the most educated medical person on-board is even less.

Never been asked for my credentials while rendering care in-flight. Never been the only medical person on-board either, so it is usually a team approach. For care, I've also never been involved in the medical control phone-in thing. Being over international waters, I guess they don't always have that luxury. You just do what you gotta do, with what you have to work with, and then quietly disappear without leaving your real name with anyone. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.