'Dead' man found alive in coffin after bee attack

aussiephil

'Dead' man found alive in coffin after bee attack

A POLISH beekeeper who suffered a heart attack after being stung was found alive in his coffin, The Times of London reported today.

Josef Guzy, 76, collapsed unconscious after the insect attack earlier in the day and had been pronounced dead at the scene by a doctor, The Times of London reported.

It was only when the undertaker reached into the coffin for the last time, in order to retrieve a necklace requested by Guzy's grieving would-be widow, that he detected a faint pulse.

"Just before closing the coffin, the family asked us to remove a couple of precious things from the body," funeral director Darius Wysluchato said.

"I happened to touch the artery in the neck and was totally shocked. I checked it again and shouted, 'There is a pulse.' My assistant checked as well. I leaned in close and I could tell that he was still breathing. My God, it was a miracle."

The same ambulance that had been called to the pensioner's home near the city of Katowice in southern Poland and found no sign of life now raced to the undertakers to discover that their patient was still alive.

The doctor who had issued the death certificate applied an electro cardiac monitor that recorded a pulse of 20 to 30 beats a minute, around a third of normal strength.

Doctors in Katowice have described it as a case of suspended animation, the first they have known.

Wysluchato added: "Thank God I did not close the coffin. If I had done that, it would have been a tragedy."

Guzy was rushed into intensive care, and after weeks of recovery he is back home to tend his bees.

"The undertaker saved my life. I am so grateful," he said. "The first thing I did when I got out of hospital was take him a pot of honey."

Wow! I wonder if it had anything to do with the actual toxins released by the bee-stings, or if it was a totally unrelated event? How crazy is this? Makes me wonder if the doctor who issued the death certificate did an EKG in the first place... I'm sure he probably did (at least, here's hoping!)

Bee venom is such an interesting thing in and of itself. I wonder if it triggered the heart attack, or if it was just the adrenaline response to the pain of being stung. So many variables to consider here...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

On another string, we have had a discussion on crude alarm systems built into coffins, so that if someone accidentally got buried alive, they'd be able to ring a bell. This happened enough that such systems were created and used roughly 200 years ago.

But, in keeping with the OPs story, this was un-BEE-lievable.

I'm not sure what they do in other nations, but wouldn't you think that since he is already in a coffin, the person has been embalmed? If so, how can the body function? Just curious.

It is very possible that with him being in Poland that he could have been Jewish, which depending upon the person and sect (I guess that's the best way to describe the individual variations?). Judaism prefers people to be buried within 24 hours and do not want to be embalmed. It is very likely that they had no plans to embalm him. No I'm not saying that just because he's polish I automatically assume that he's jewish, but there is a great chance of it.

Muslims are the same wanting to be buried within 24 hours. Hindu people as well do not believe in embalming (though all of the above permit it for homage back to their home area Israel, Middle East, etc as international body transport laws require it for public health reasons). There are not rules within the US requiring it (unless body is to be shipped internationally), but it is certainly preferred. That's about the best explanation I can give for the situation.

On another string, we have had a discussion on crude alarm systems built into coffins, so that if someone accidentally got buried alive, they'd be able to ring a bell. This happened enough that such systems were created and used roughly 200 years ago.

But, in keeping with the OPs story, this was un-BEE-lievable.

Oh man, Richard and his BITING sense of humor are at it again! He seems to have left this one STINGING after stirring up a virtual bees nest! I'm begining to think that his brain is a HIVE of activity, with these random puns and thoughts just BUZZING around until an opportunity comes along. I really hope he doesn't try to become a PEST with it!

I'm not sure what they do in other nations, but wouldn't you think that since he is already in a coffin, the person has been embalmed? If so, how can the body function? Just curious.

I was thinking the same thing as well. I can understand an autopsy not being done (possibly for religious reasons?)

Is embalming something that's only done in the U.S.?

It is very possible that with him being in Poland that he could have been Jewish, which depending upon the person and sect (I guess that's the best way to describe the individual variations?). Judaism prefers people to be buried within 24 hours and do not want to be embalmed. It is very likely that they had no plans to embalm him. No I'm not saying that just because he's polish I automatically assume that he's jewish, but there is a great chance of it.

Muslims are the same wanting to be buried within 24 hours. Hindu people as well do not believe in embalming (though all of the above permit it for homage back to their home area Israel, Middle East, etc as international body transport laws require it for public health reasons). There are not rules within the US requiring it (unless body is to be shipped internationally), but it is certainly preferred. That's about the best explanation I can give for the situation.

Thanks, I kind of thought so. I've actually heard of instances where someone that was embalmed but did not have their pacemaker turned off and the deceased exploded due to the decomposed gases that were emitted and the pacer set these off. One instance where the deceased was in a mosuleum and nearly blew it apart. Whoops.

Thanks, I kind of thought so. I've actually heard of instances where someone that was embalmed but did not have their pacemaker turned off and the deceased exploded due to the decomposed gases that were emitted and the pacer set these off. One instance where the deceased was in a mosuleum and nearly blew it apart. Whoops.

Not heard of that, but I am aware they cannot be cremated with them in place as it can cause issues. Same with other stimulator devices. Learn somethin new every day !

I never thought about the pacemaker thing.

As for bee venom, there have been studies that say people who have experienced multiple stings have enjoyed various health benefits. I seem to also recall reading about people who intentionally get stung to get relief from things like arthritis. As a matter of fact, I just saw a recent story about a woman who was in anaphylactic shock and nearly died after multiple stings. She spent time in the ICU and when she woke up and fully recovered, she realized that her joints that were stiff, sore, and achy (knees, ankles, hands, etc) were free of arthritis.

I don't know if it's some inherent properties of the venom itself or the result of some immune system changes, but it's pretty interesting stuff.

I never thought about the pacemaker thing.

As for bee venom, there have been studies that say people who have experienced multiple stings have enjoyed various health benefits. I seem to also recall reading about people who intentionally get stung to get relief from things like arthritis. As a matter of fact, I just saw a recent story about a woman who was in anaphylactic shock and nearly died after multiple stings. She spent time in the ICU and when she woke up and fully recovered, she realized that her joints that were stiff, sore, and achy (knees, ankles, hands, etc) were free of arthritis.

I don't know if it's some inherent properties of the venom itself or the result of some immune system changes, but it's pretty interesting stuff.

Hey, git off your keester and develop/market this stuff for all the arthritis sufferers. You could bee-come a millionaire!